Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop advice - Bravo 1

Hey guys,

Just got back from a tournament at Shasta and at the end of my day one practice I slung a blade off of the 25P Hydro XOB that was worked to be closer to a 26 (Nathan's old prop). This prop had a great holeshot and would run 84 (as far as I ran it) about 5800-6000 RMPs. I ran to Phil's Props and the closest they had was a Bravo 1 26P so I bought it and ran in the tournament. Hole shot is even better and I feel like I have more pedal, but I'm running 80 mph with a co-angler and I'm at 6000 RPMs.

I also ran a 28 Promax with only 4 pvs holes and could not get on plane without someone standing on the bow.

My question is, doing I buy a 27 Bravo 1 to get more top end? If so how do you think that will effect my hole shot? Hole shot is very important when in a tournament so if it will greatly effect it, I'll just stick with the 26. Or do I buy another Bravo 26 and have it worked? So far I've slung blades on 2 different worked props (TXP & Hydro) so I'm think a stock prop would last longer???

Thanks guys,

Mike

Boat info: 2010 XB-21 2+2, Merc 250 Pro XS, SM 1.62 gears, 2 8' Power Poles, Bob's Action Jack 8" Set back.
    Last edited by tap_tap_boom; 01-29-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

2. Member
    With the 250.... no pvs holes is better in my experience with a 28 Promax.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    With the 250.... no pvs holes is better in my experience with a 28 Promax.
    I know others that say the same thing but I could barely get on plane with a 24p Bravo I with no pvs holes.

And Dan, you are running 1.75 gears while Mike has 1.62 so your 28 should be similar to a 26 for him.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

4. Member
    Mike, remember you are also in the colder months so it will bog a little more in the summer. Since you have poles I bet the 27 would work but it might be worth the couple mph sacrifice to keep your holeshot. We have the same set up (except no pp for me) and I love my worked 26 Bravo xs for the type of running I do.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

5. Member
    My boat is a two seater 300XS 175 gear 2 power poles. So it may not fit into this scenario but my last boat did except for the gear ratio I have always had 175. But I have ran a bunch of bravos and promaxes on both. Once I get the promax sorted out I like them the best always a couple MPH faster than the Bravos. You threw a blade on a hydromotive prop? Nobody does that.
    I dont think I would be afraid to spin it 6000 rpm but losing 4 mph would bug me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    I know others that say the same thing but I could barely get on plane with a 24p Bravo I with no pvs holes.

And Dan, you are running 1.75 gears while Mike has 1.62 so your 28 should be similar to a 26 for him.
    Good point.. But my 30 should act similarly. I still need to test!

7. Member
    I have a 2 seater with poles 250xs 1.75 gears. My 28 bravo1 xs is the prop i run 90 % of the time on tournament days..i had a lil cup added to it and run with 2 holes open. I run right at 80 with 2 people and a loaded boat and the hole shot is good.. i also usually only run 5 to 7 miles max on the lakes around here.. i have a stock 29 promax thats faster but only use it for longer runs as i dont like the hole shot..i also have a 28 hydromotive thats probably the fastest but i think for me the bravo is more forgiving and i never have my balance right on tournament days as my partner out weighs me by 100 lbs..

8. Member
    In my opinion, I would find an unworked Hydro XOB in 25 or 26" and stay with that setup. I've run about every prop configuration on my first 2 Bassports and nothing day in and day out ran as well except a 27 TXP that Joe has now. I have run a few Bravo's and they just don't suit me on holeshot or top end. I can't imagine any scenario where open pvs holes, at least a couple, would not be a necessity on a Bravo. That is my experience anyway.

I have been tinkering with opening holes and closing holes with and without foil and I ran my 28 Bravo XS with 4 holes closest to the lower unit all open and the 4 closest to the back of the prop all plugged with solids running a CB Marine foil launches pretty well with no blowout/over rev at all with a loaded boat and motor set at 3/8" above the pad with 1.75 gears. I would think that 1.62's would require a couple more holes open on a 26" to really compare. I do not run power poles or talons. My experience has been testing more on 300's with 1.62 vs 250's with 1.75. I plan to do some 1.62 testing with my 250 very soon and confirm my theory. As for the 30 Promax and 1.75's mine requires all holes to be plugged with solids or with a blowout ring I am testing 2 solids and 2 large hole plugs. There will be new info coming soon on this wheel as special things are happening!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    I spoke with Lee and he still thinks the 28 Promax is what I need and to send it Robbie for more holes etc.
    Mike Malinao

That would be my suggestion. I'm running a 30 with no vents but it does have the etc. I was surprised I don't need the holes with my 300 but I have the 1.75 gears.. One thing about the PVS holes -- you can fine tune them or close them off if not needed.

12. Member
    If the ice ever goes away... i hope my 30 Promax now with all holes plugged and the flair ring acts like my Magic 28 Promax... Robbie made it an exact copy + 2".....

13. Member
    Mike there are many prop setups you can use that will get you what you want to see but I’d jump all over a 26 or 27” Hydromotive XOB for loaded to fish conditions and never look back if you can find one. I ran that prop on my first XB21 and had an unreal holeshot and 86-87 loaded in tourneys. My go to prop was a worked 26.5 by Todd. I also ran a 28 for lighter runs. Johnny Johnson runs a 2+2 with Hydro’s and he can embarrass most guys in the field with a Sport 250. He has great holeshot and I believe he told me his loaded to fish speed is 88-89. Just my opinion but I can only comment on what I know to be fact on my boat and a few buddy’s rides. The guys I run with, Powell, Woody and Johnny Johnson all bolt Hydros on. We all have other brands as well but the fishing load props are the same.

14. Member
    there is a 27 xob on face book steve from hydrodynamics had it on face book

15. Member
    alright it is on real bullet owners 27 xob

16. Member
    Thanks guys. I spoke with someone at Hydro and he said he would get a 24 based on what I'm seeing and anything bigger than my 25 wouldn't perform like I want it to. He said with a 24 I could get an additional 200 rpms to get into my sweet spot and have a better hole shot and greater acceleration while achieving the same top end numbers. Now I had this call before I slung that 25 blade because there was a guy selling a 26, but is was a B group and the guy at Hydro said that won't work that I need a C (I believe).

Then I go to a Bravo 1 26 and I'm running 6000 RPM and under 80 miles an hour loaded with 2 guys.

Why is it so complicated..LOL
    Mike Malinao

Quote Originally Posted by tap_tap_boom View Post
    Thanks guys. I spoke with someone at Hydro and he said he would get a 24 based on what I'm seeing and anything bigger than my 25 wouldn't perform like I want it to. He said with a 24 I could get an additional 200 rpms to get into my sweet spot and have a better hole shot and greater acceleration while achieving the same top end numbers. Now I had this call before I slung that 25 blade because there was a guy selling a 26, but is was a B group and the guy at Hydro said that won't work that I need a C (I believe).

Then I go to a Bravo 1 26 and I'm running 6000 RPM and under 80 miles an hour loaded with 2 guys.

Why is it so complicated..LOL
    Welcome again to the world of Hi-Performance boats..
    It can make you bald before your time.

18. Member
    Mike,

That was a 25 p hydro that was tightened twice in order to be as stiff as possible and fetain the holeshot by starting with a root of a 25. I cannot imagine a 24 performing as well.

They prop also has a flair trimmed by 1/4” and extra tip cup added to aid in biting out of the hole.

It is not a stock a, b of c cut. It was special made for me.

If you want more holeshot don’t have the flair trimmed as much and don’t have the extra pitch bent in.
    Last edited by xb03fs; 02-07-2018 at 07:35 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Mike,

That was a 25 p hydro that was tightened twice in order to be as stiff as possible and fetain the holeshot by starting with a root of a 25. I cannot imagine a 24 performing as well.

They prop also has a flair trimmed by 1/4” and extra tip cup added to aid in biting out of the hole.

It is not a stock a, b of c cut. It was special made for me.

If you want more holeshot don’t have the flair trimmed as much and don’t have the extra pitch bent in.
    Bingo. Right on. My thoughts exactly. I've had to trim 1/4 and as much as 3/8" off the flare but hole shot was not a big concern on some of my props. I can't see a 24 working out in this deal at all. Just my opinion.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Bingo. Right on. My thoughts exactly. I've had to trim 1/4 and as much as 3/8" off the flare but hole shot was not a big concern on some of my props. I can't see a 24 working out in this deal at all. Just my opinion.
    It’s the one the 27 tim Powell now has was modeled after. It’s stiff it’s more like a 26hydo or 28 bravo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast