Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KVD drops Power Poles and switches to Talon

One could easily debate that KVD is the greatest bass fisherman of all time. For years he has been running Humminbird which is owned by the same company that owns Minn Kota. Kevin has now decided to join the Minn Kota line up. He will be running a Ultrex along with 8 ft Talons and as previously mentioned he has been running Humminbird for years. I have noticed pro's choose a 8 ft shallow water anchor even though deeper models are available. My thought is the newly designed 8 ft model is three stage and much shorter than the previous 8 ft model. It's so compact that it actually sits lower than most 250 hp motors, so if your motor clears the garage door your Talons clear with no issue. This also opens up getting into low places because you don't have to tilt your Talons or lower them like you have to do with Power Pole. With 8 ft Talons you are held in place in shallow water and in deeper water you can spot lock with the Ultrex so bascilly you can lock the boat in place anywhere and anytime.

In the past there has been KVD Humminbird editions. I would bet it wont be long and they will release a KVD Minn Kota edition and a KVD Talon edition. Just look at past history. Pretty much anything he puts him name on sells. I could see Talons becoming more popular and growing in sales. Now with that being said I bought my Talons long before KVD switch from Power Pole. Even though I am talking about people who buy stuff because a pro endorses it I am still in the minority that could care less what a pro endorses but I still wanted to share the story because in the fishing community and for Minn Kota this is big news.

Last year Gerald Swindle aka G-Man went to Talons. I also noticed Seth Feider made the switch this year along with KVD. I foresee more pro's and regular Joe's making the switch

I was told there is a commercial with KVD talking about going to Ultrex and Talon but I can't find it. When I find it I will post it but for now here is the news release...https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Who-W...eam-Minn-Kota/

Here is the funny video...the look on Brandon Palunik's face is priceless "seven so far "...https://www.facebook.com/MinnKota/vi...type=2&theater

3. Member
    This is big news. Kevin is usually pretty loyal to his sponsors. For him to move to Minn Kota & Talons is a big move.

There has been a lot of "moving around" in the pro rankings. This has proven to be an interesting start to 2018 for sure.

M

4. Member
    I saw some photos online of Palaniuk's new Skeeter with two Talon's on it. Last year I think he had PP.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    I saw some photos online of Palaniuk's new Skeeter with two Talon's on it. Last year I think he had PP.
    I have not seen it but it would make sense. I saw where Seth Fieder is also running Talons, Ultrex and Humminbird. With G-Man making the switch last year and now KVD, Palanuik and Fieder all on board with the same products this seems to be a trend.

6. Member
    I wonder why they are all going to Talons? Sponsorship $$ or better function? I'm looking at switching to PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    I wonder why they are all going to Talons? Sponsorship $$ or better function? I'm looking at switching to PP.
    The new style Talons can communicate with Humminbird via bloothooth. You can deploy your Talons from your bird if you want to. Ultrex, Talon and Hummingbird are owned by the same company. They are made to interact/communicate with each other so it make sense to run all three products to get all the benefits.

Most of the time I'd say it's always about the money. With nothing out there like the Ultrex I could see a pro actually wanting to switch because of how well it works and MG nothing having anything close.

Having said that, if all the pros running Ultrex motors this year all switch to Talons and Humminbird I'd bet it's a contract requirement to run all JO products. I have my reasons for preferring Talons, but PP builds a great product and I can't see why a Pro would leave unless there was good money or a contract requirement involved. With the Ultrex being what it is, it could allow JO to play some hardball.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    Most of the time I'd say it's always about the money. With nothing out there like the Ultrex I could see a pro actually wanting to switch because of how well it works and MG nothing having anything close.

Having said that, if all the pros running Ultrex motors this year all switch to Talons and Humminbird I'd bet it's a contract requirement to run all JO products. I have my reasons for preferring Talons, but PP builds a great product and I can't see why a Pro would leave unless there was good money or a contract requirement involved. With the Ultrex being what it is, it could allow JO to play some hardball.
    Very well said. It would be like buying a Skeeter and wanting a Mercury on it instead of a Yamaha. If you run one of their products you run the other. Kind of stinks for the loyal Power Pole guy but then again they will get to see how good of a product the Minn Kota Talon really is. There is VERY few case where X product is actually that much more advanced than Y product. In the case of the Ultrex this is true. Johnson Outdoors owns Humminbird as well as Minn Kota. They have designed the units to be integrated together so it only makes sense for people to run all three products.

Here is a quote from KVD that was made on the Minn Kota website...

"Minn Kota, Humminbird and Talon are designed and engineered to connect, integrate and work together, giving me the edge I’m always looking for. I can control everything from anywhere and focus on fishing.

After all, I’m out here to catch more fish. And Minn Kota is here to help me do it.

It’s good to be part of the family."

10. Member
    I would do the same if it were free and I'm not paying for them and I was paid for advertising.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    I would do the same if it were free and I'm not paying for them and I was paid for advertising.
    And if you look at this page: https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Welcome-KVD/

I'd do EXACTLY the same, if it were free. Take a look at A, B, C, D & E on that page. That's WELL over $13K worth of equipment alone, plus cables, plus installation.

Yep... I'd do it. And wouldn't even need to get paid for advertising!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    I find it interesting that a bunch of them are running the 8 footers. Also wonder if they will have a contingency program. I guess with all the profits from the ultrex they had some sponsor money to spread around

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    They use the 8 foot model because it sets lower than a 250 hp motor. If the motor clears the garage door then the Talon clears the garage door. There is no need for a tilt bracket to get under low obstacles. Deeper than 8 ft they use Ultrex to lock onto their spot.

14. Member
    Those guys don't have to worry about garage door clearance. I get the spot lock deal but I can promise if you spot lock in 8 or 10ft your scaring fish. I think it's proof of how much water these guys cover thru a day. They hardly ever use power poles, they just keep moving.

15. Member
    On the Talons, the 10' have been the best selling in my experience. However, with the Ultrex added to the mix, I can see the 8' sales going up. Shallow water anchors are just that, made to hold in shallow water and on some lakes, anything over 5' is considered deep. In a lot of shallow water lakes (lakes around here) you can operate a trolling motor in 3 to 4' without spooking fish. On other lakes, lakes with clear water, fish are spooked in 15 to 20' -- it's all relevant. Overall though, I think the 8' Talon with the Ultrex gives you the best opportunity to "anchor" in any depth water. JMHO
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    I guess it would depend on the lake. Around here, fish get spooky real easy, I guess because of the fishing pressure. I've seen it a bunch where you float with the wind and fish are all around doing there thing and when you have to hit the motor they disappear. Most of that 10s would be just fine but there are quite a few circumstances where the bigger ones will help

17. Hun Driver
    I was fishing a creek channel last month that had a very shallow edge that had a lot of laydowns on it. I was kind of drifting down the channel with the wind and saw a bass about 15' away right on the edge of the creek highlighted by the shallow bank. I touched the trolling motor pedal on my Ultrex and as usually happens I turned the motor slightly as I touched the pedal and the noise of the motor turning spooked that bass and he immediately headed into the creek channel. This all happened without even turning the prop, just turning the head. It makes me wonder how that noise is going to effect shallow water bass this spawning season.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I find it interesting that a bunch of them are running the 8 footers. Also wonder if they will have a contingency program. I guess with all the profits from the ultrex they had some sponsor money to spread around
    Justin Lucas said it was because they are lighter and the Ultrex helps when deeper..

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06SkeeterZX190 View Post
    Justin Lucas said it was because they are lighter and the Ultrex helps when deeper..
    I think weight is a big issue. Some of those guys run 5 batteries. Add a tank of gas and full livewells along with all the stuff they carry and you can see why it's hard for them to get on plane.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    I was fishing a creek channel last month that had a very shallow edge that had a lot of laydowns on it. I was kind of drifting down the channel with the wind and saw a bass about 15' away right on the edge of the creek highlighted by the shallow bank. I touched the trolling motor pedal on my Ultrex and as usually happens I turned the motor slightly as I touched the pedal and the noise of the motor turning spooked that bass and he immediately headed into the creek channel. This all happened without even turning the prop, just turning the head. It makes me wonder how that noise is going to effect shallow water bass this spawning season.
    That's what I'm talking about. BUT, poles or talons also make noise so who knows if that would also spook them. In your case I'm betting it would. On a bed, once they are locked you have more play to make noise and stuff. It will make it harder to catch but they will hang around. Now if you hit spot lock and stir up stuff and blow water all over them you sol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast