Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I think weight is a big issue. Some of those guys run 5 batteries. Add a tank of gas and full livewells along with all the stuff they carry and you can see why it's hard for them to get on plane.
    That and I know I saw it somewhere over a year ago where a guy did speed runs with both and seemed to think that the Talons were less aero efficient to the point it cost 2~3 MPH on the top end. Shorter = get more of that big chunk out of the wind.

I run 5 batteries and my tank is a TINY 66 gallons! LOL
    The ol' girl does sit heavy these days. Prop change is mandatory this year.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Quote Originally Posted by DixieChicken View Post
    That and I know I saw it somewhere over a year ago where a guy did speed runs with both and seemed to think that the Talons were less aero efficient to the point it cost 2~3 MPH on the top end. Shorter = get more of that big chunk out of the wind.

I run 5 batteries and my tank is a TINY 66 gallons! LOL
    The ol' girl does sit heavy these days. Prop change is mandatory this year.
    I don't think it's the wind resistance causing the speed difference, I think it's the weight. Talons put a lot of weight behind the transom VS PP in addition to weighing more than PPs. If you measured 10 foot PP and 10 foot Talons the Talons are wider but the PP is taller so the total area is probably pretty close.

There was an article in the FLW magazine last year about getting top speed out of your boat with in put from Al Stinson. He stated that water resistance is a far bigger issue at the speeds bass boats travel than wind resistance. He also said the flatter you run the faster your are because you have less drag. Talons are going to make the boat not run as flat and therefore have more drag in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Very well said. It would be like buying a Skeeter and wanting a Mercury on it instead of a Yamaha. If you run one of their products you run the other. Kind of stinks for the loyal Power Pole guy but then again they will get to see how good of a product the Minn Kota Talon really is. There is VERY few case where X product is actually that much more advanced than Y product. In the case of the Ultrex this is true. Johnson Outdoors owns Humminbird as well as Minn Kota. They have designed the units to be integrated together so it only makes sense for people to run all three products.

Here is a quote from KVD that was made on the Minn Kota website...

"Minn Kota, Humminbird and Talon are designed and engineered to connect, integrate and work together, giving me the edge I’m always looking for. I can control everything from anywhere and focus on fishing.

After all, I’m out here to catch more fish. And Minn Kota is here to help me do it.

It’s good to be part of the family."
    I'd agree with that quote.

I used a non link Ultrex November 2016 and mid January to mid February 2017 and then a Link from mid February to November 2017. The non link was great but the linkk features are awesome. They are not intuitive to use, though (at least for me), I had to read the manual to figure out how to make them work, but I used navigate to way point and then circle weigh point, just circle the way point and follow the contour a ton. Being able to back track your current HB track is great as well.

I'm sure there was big money involved with KVD, but having used an ipilot link Ultrex 150ish days it made me far more efficient and made fishing easier and I could see where any Pro would want one.

4. Member
    I'm going to link my ultrex up to start using the track saves for grass lines. It would be awesome for flipping grass

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    I don't think it's the wind resistance causing the speed difference, I think it's the weight. Talons put a lot of weight behind the transom VS PP in addition to weighing more than PPs. If you measured 10 foot PP and 10 foot Talons the Talons are wider but the PP is taller so the total area is probably pretty close.

There was an article in the FLW magazine last year about getting top speed out of your boat with in put from Al Stinson. He stated that water resistance is a far bigger issue at the speeds bass boats travel than wind resistance. He also said the flatter you run the faster your are because you have less drag. Talons are going to make the boat not run as flat and therefore have more drag in the water.
    I agree!

Forgot to mention the weight difference, which is substantial indeed.

Now I'm thinking I need some sort of lithium ion battery system to cut half the weight out. Problem with that of course is they CATCH FIRE when wet!
    Never mind the fact that they run $1500~$2500 EACH.

Darn it, where's that 26' bass boat with a 400 when I need it.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    Most of the elites are running lithium batteries so weight is not the issue.

7. Banned
    Watch for the graphine based batteries and electronics being developed. This will be a game changing technology.... if we can wait for them to become economically viable in 10 to 20 years.
    Until then I imagine that the boat manufacturing companies are refining the hull designs to accommodate the increase in batteries needed.

Havent read this whole thread but, I would think that not running a Ultrex would be a disadvantage to an fisherman fishing the Elites. Motorguide is gonna have to step up its game and come up with something that competes with the Ultrex.

9. Member
    I would agree with this, because when I added the talons to my boat, I also added lithium batteries. The batteries saved a bunch of weight and almost offset the talons. I also took out my onboard charger, because it's worthless on the water and it just added an additional 30lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lshackelford View Post
    Most of the elites are running lithium batteries so weight is not the issue.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    I also took out my onboard charger, because it's worthless on the water and it just added an additional 30lbs.
    I like the concept but how do you charge your batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    I like the concept but how do you charge your batteries?
    there is at least 3 threads on this, i couldnt find them though, more or less you wire the batteries into a connection like a 7 blade + center pin trailer connector on the boat, then wire the charger up to the other end and either hang it on the wall or have a travel tote with it inside
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    there is at least 3 threads on this, i couldnt find them though, more or less you wire the batteries into a connection like a 7 blade + center pin trailer connector on the boat, then wire the charger up to the other end and either hang it on the wall or have a travel tote with it inside
    Thats a good idea, not a lot harder to put the charger by the boat from my rv as it is to run the cord.

I just put 15 foot talons on and I dont think I lost speed, the hole shot and nose rise is different but I bet a prop guy could fix that for me I need less bow lift for sure.. a sho would probably do it.

I think its funny all the hype about kvd and all this being connected, when they arent connected yet.. no foot contoller, no ultrex remote link yet to talons, etc.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Here is a thread I started in the lounge...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=877213

14. Member
    Johnson Outdoors.. owners of Talon, Minn-Kota and Humminbird along with a host of oter companies is paying big $$$$..... Remember these guys are a business, every pro has to be!!

So I’ve gotten this story from very reputable pros. They will only give a good deal to exclusive Johnson outdoors pros. Meaning dealing with talons so you get your ultrex 360 and birds for free of next to no price. Nothing against powerpole they are just strong arming them basicly. They could offer me a free ultrex and I wouldn’t use a talon as a boat anchor on the Bolton of the lake
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12