Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    very interested to try it out. it shouldn't be long

Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Thanks Wayne..that's what I figured....when I picked up my boat, I found out the bow unit was not a Solix 12 SI unit, just a chirps unit. The way they had it setup, the Di was being read from the transom through the 15" on the council and ghosted to the 12 on front. I'm having the 12 changed to a Si unit on front so I can read DI as stand along once I get the new transducer. They are telling me to mount the transducer that comes the Si unit to the trolling motor..not sure how to do that since it's a transom mounted transducer..

Do you know if the new Di transducer is available anywhere yet?

Thanks
    No it is not available yet, it's not on the Humminbird website's accessory list yet.

You do NOT need to get a SOLIX SI model to use the new DI transducer. Did you read post #26 on this thread?
    Did you read the software description?
    If not I posted the software update description in the Software sticky topic post #259 and changed the transducer section to BLUE letters so you can't miss it.

IF you want to use a MEGA SI transducer on the trolling motor, there are two mounts specifically for that application.
    Humminbird's AD MTM
    Transducer Shield and Saver's TM-HX-1
    You will NOT get LOW Q CHIRP 2D sonar with that transducer.

It is no different than using the transom HDSI transducer on the trolling motor. That has been done for about 10 years.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Wayne,

Just now off the phone with Hummingbird. They confirmed that part # 710202-1 XMT 14 20 MDI T was in stock. I placed an order for one. They are $199

Yes, I did read the software description, but I did miss post #26. I knew that I didn't need a Solix Si to Di, but I still wanted the fuctions of a Solix SI in my 12" unit just in case I decide to use it somewhere else. It was worth the money difference for me to have both units SI MEGA's.

Thanks for your help..

Jim
    Last edited by falconpilot; 02-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Wayne,

Just now off the phone with Hummingbird. They confirmed that part # 710202-1 XMT 14 20 MDI T was in stock. I placed an order for one. They are $199

Jim
    Great. I see the transom models are on the website now. Don't see the trolling motor version yet.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Lady said they haven't gotten their website update yet but are working on it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You are the first one I thought about when I read that software description. It should suit your application very well.
    Wayne/Troy,
    This thread helps us that don't live this as much, but want the best out of our electronics, so I appreciate you helping us out here, so thank you.

I too am just setting up my boat for the new year. I am putting 360 on the bow and have a Solix Mega SI unit up front, my plan since I already had the transducer was to just get the shield and mount it on the trolling motor, even though with the 360 I probably wouldn't use the SI portion as much, but wanted DI. Would you recommend waiting and getting the new transducer with Low Q Chirp tech in it, or putting the Mega SI transducer I already have on the TM? What are the benefits that Low Q Chirp will give me if I fish in less than 40 ft of water all the time up here in the north country?

Again I appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    Wayne/Troy,
    This thread helps us that don't live this as much, but want the best out of our electronics, so I appreciate you helping us out here, so thank you.

I too am just setting up my boat for the new year. I am putting 360 on the bow and have a Solix Mega SI unit up front, my plan since I already had the transducer was to just get the shield and mount it on the trolling motor, even though with the 360 I probably wouldn't use the SI portion as much, but wanted DI. Would you recommend waiting and getting the new transducer with Low Q Chirp tech in it, or putting the Mega SI transducer I already have on the TM? What are the benefits that Low Q Chirp will give me if I fish in less than 40 ft of water all the time up here in the north country?

Again I appreciate the help
    Troy can explain what the benefit of Low Q is since he used to run Garmins.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    In a nutshell (and you can get all sorts of techy about it)...

Low Q basically means "low impedance" for "higher bandwidth" which equates to being able to sweep a wider range of frequencies so your lower end gives you wide "reach" and "coverage" while the higher frequencies will give your unit "definition" and "target separation" whereas with continuous wave (CW) frequencies gave you one or the other - Chirping a wide range gives you the best of both worlds.

Troy can go ahead & post a few article that will make most folks heads swim, because Qts, Qms, Etc means NADA to most peeps in layman's terms...

Yours truly, a simpleton....
    Last edited by sfw1960; 02-05-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    HUH?....Robert

I'm still trying to figure out which models can use them....LOL But I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Basically Q is inversely proportional to seeing more fish for us dummies...LOL.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Hear you go Chris - good call!

Last edited by sfw1960; 02-07-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Last edited by sfw1960; 02-07-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: ditto
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

13. Banned
    it basically completes the package for true chirp. any unit that has chirp can scan the freq range but without a low q chirp transducer designed to scan those freq's you won't see the full benefit of chirp. basically improved target separation, being able to see fish belly to the bottom that would normally blend into the bottom and the ability to see fish actually inside of brush. i can't post examples since they are garmin, but just better returns in general. you can also see better returns when using a fixed freq just by using a low q transducer. you can go search for some of my old stuff in the garmin section for examples. now will this new humminbird transducer provide those same results? will it be worth the loss of si? we don't know yet. won't know till i get one and post some side by side shots.

14. Member
    Troyboy
    So an SI unit will never have Low Q for DI built into one Transducer. I am getting ready to Get a Helix Mega 12 SI and will add a second SI ducer for L&R plus a transon HS ducer. Would this Ducer fit into that set-up at all?
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

15. Member
    I guess I have the same question - will new SI units have a Low Q DI transducer packaged with it, and when?
    2017 Lund alaskan 1800 Side Console 90hp, Lvl 2. Merc mon
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

16. Banned
    Only humminbird can answer that. I’m surprised they didn’t do it with the current mega transducer. Most of you guys are not going to be interested in using the transducer with a si unit. I’m a weirdo in that I want true chirp for the bow and don’t mine losing si from my solix si. I never use it up front.

17. Member
    I hate the wait and see condition blinky light .... buy now and get stuck, blink, blink, blink.....
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

Quote Originally Posted by Spotshooter View Post
    I guess I have the same question - will new SI units have a Low Q DI transducer packaged with it, and when?
    I would not think it would be included with any SI or Sonar model. A SI unit comes with a SI transducer and the CHIRP models come with a 2D transducer. The DI transducer is an additional purchase accessory--it is stated in the software description.

A DI transducer was never included with an ONIX sonar model and they can support one.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Wayne the Solix SI transducer standard transducer does have DI crystals correct?

From what the description says it does... (if I’m reading it correctly)

But I gets it doesn’t specify which freq’s are DI, SI or dual beam plus...

XM 14 20 MSI T | Transom Transducers | 710265-1

​MEGA SI, MEGA DI, DualBeam PLUS, 20/60/86/55 degrees, 200/83/455/800 kHz and 1.2 MHz, temperature built-in. For SOLIX MEGA Side Imaging units only.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotshooter View Post
    Wayne the Solix SI transducer standard transducer does have DI crystals correct?

From what the description says it does... (if I’m reading it correctly)

But I gets it doesn’t specify which freq’s are DI, SI or dual beam plus...

XM 14 20 MSI T | Transom Transducers | 710265-1

​MEGA SI, MEGA DI, DualBeam PLUS, 20/60/86/55 degrees, 200/83/455/800 kHz and 1.2 MHz, temperature built-in. For SOLIX MEGA Side Imaging units only.

The MEGA SI transducers (Helix and SOLIX) have a dedicated DI crystal, so does the ONIX/ION SI transducer.
    Imaging is 455/800/1200 kHz and their CHIRP ranges. 2D is 83/200 kHz and their CHIRP ranges.
    360 uses 455 kHz.
    Imaging is Down Imaging and Side Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast