Don or anyone. question on WP hose location

Serial # 0g105525
    1994 Mercury 200hp 2.5L XRi

so been working on the old boat trying to get it set up.
    got the water pump put in this past weekend.
    next thing I want to look into is the WP gauge does not work. im thinking the gauge is broke since the needle is pegged all the way around all the time.
    but I was curious about something over the weekend.
    when I put the pump in there is a small hose on the front of the Lower unit that runs inside and connects to a small barb type fitting. the hose looks to be about 1/8" inside dia.
    I assumed this was the WP hose that went up to the gauge. it had a spot in it where someone had put in a union so it was able to be pulled apart to take the lower unit off.
    when I put the pump back in I didn't have this hose hooked back up. and I assumed that when I started the motor up on muffs that it would pump water out. well it never did. so is this just a vent for the lower unit?
    if so were is the WP gauge hose hooked up to on the motor.
    want to get the gauge working when I start tweaking around with props.
    I will say I never pulled the hose off the back of the guage and started it up to make sure its got pressure there but wanted to get all my bases covered.

2. Member
    The little hose on the front of the flgearcase is for a speedo pickup. Look at the leading edge of the case and you'll see a tiny hole, that's where the water comes to that line from.

3. Member
    there is a hose that comes from popett valve to top of block need to tee into it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Preferably as close to the top of the block as possible. And if that gauge is pegged, it's toast.

Front fitting on gearcase is, as you expected: pitot.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I had 2 gaguges freeze and it killed both. I ended up putting tee and radiator drain off the gauge hose under the console and routed it to where I can open it after each trip in the winter. I do get a wet foot on occasion. It works tho.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Preferably as close to the top of the block as possible. And if that gauge is pegged, it's toast.

Front fitting on gearcase is, as you expected: pitot.
    Don by chance do you have a part number or diagram that I could look at to get a better idea on what im looking for?

7. Member
    hose just behind flywheel cover center top of block connects to 90 degree elbow fitting only hose up there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you much Don that helps a ton