Question SHO 250 Cutting Off While Running

Saturday my 2015 SHO 250 would cut off while running down the lake. Most of the time it was while the speed was climbing over 5000 rpm, but it also did it once while idling. Every time it would crank right back up and take off, but it would always do it again sporadically.

Battery connections are fine. It did it on both fuel tanks. No sputtering, it cut off as if you pulled the kill switch.

Anyone having this issue? Thoughts?

Do you have Lithium a battery for cranking? Have heard the SHO doesnt work well with them
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    No lithium battery.

Well that eliminates that. Maybe try a different battery just to eliminate easy stuff first. If you are in good with your local tech/dealer maybe see if they can scan it for you to see if any codes have been thrown/stored, not likely but could help.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

When my Series 2 HPDI started doing that it ended up being an ECU going out.

6. Member
    Thanks guys.

Keep us posted

8. Member
    Check the fuel line that goes through the rigging hose this happened to me mine was collapsing over 5000 rpms when the demand for fuel got high I chased this problem for almost two years I replaced and checked everything else but didn’t even think to check that. Good luck

Mike Kopelic Pittsburgh Pa

15 BULLET 21RDC 250 SHO

9. Member
    Someone asked for an update. No good news.

Put in today. Trim motor down, everything goes black when I turn the key. Complete loss of power on everything but the trolling motor. All connections are good, clean. New cranking battery was installed two weeks ago when I had the boat serviced. Checked fuses, circuit breakers, etc. Couldn't even trim the motor up. Talked to service people three times trying everything. Only hint was at one time the control panel was making a buzzing with sort of clicking sound. So I cut power.

Even switched cables to trolling motor to try to trim motor. Nothing. Had to lift her manually.

I'm taking her to the doctor Weds.

10. Banned
    Have you checked all the fuses on the motor? Top starboard side behind small black cover.

11. Member
    No, this is my first Yamaha so I'm not that familiar with them. I will make time to look after I get back from a work trip Tuesday night. I know it has to be something simple like that to lose all power suddenly. Or one would think.

12. Member
    Sounds like a fuse. Mine did the same thing (total power loss). Remove cowling and the fuse box is on the starboard side. The fuse box cover has spare fuses and a fuse puller. I believe it was the main power fuse (20 or 30amp, cant remember). Don't forget to purchase a few extra fuses and keep them in the boat. A multimeter is also always a good tool to have onboard.

You stated that you lost power to everything except the trolling motor. That leads me to think it’s a boat issue and not a motor issue.
    take voltage reading across the terminals of your main battery breaker. If the breaker is good you should read 0 volts across the terminals with the breaker closed. The contacts get burned sometimes and causes funny things to happen
    you mentioned a buzzing sound under the dash. Could be a short under ther on the ignition circuit. Bears looking into
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

14. Member
    Thanks guys. I checked all the motor fuses last night and all were good.

I'm thinking it is between the battery and the control panel. It was making a noise again last night. I had power to trim motor, the panel was blue,and everything went dead when I went to turn the motor over.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    There probably a big fuse on the motor 100 amp or so, it was good?

16. Member
    Sounds like a bad/loose ground.

17. Member
    Yes. The big fuse was good. I check one ground for the motor and all battery connections. Taking her to the shop tomorrow morning to see what they can find.

18. Member
    Are the big plugs that go into the computer all tight? It sure sounds like an electrical connection is loose somewhere or maybe an ecu issue like mark said.