Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fitness Gyms, Where do you go and Why? Post your experiences (good & bad)

Hey all,

Getting back to going to a Gym again to work out. Around here there are several of the Bigger Names like:

Planet Fitness

LA Fitness

Crunch

24 hr Fitness

Anytime Fitness

Gold's Gym

and other more local ones.

So have any of you used any of these and what did you think of them?

Pricing for what you get?

Cleanliness?

Getting out of Paying Them? (this one I've heard some bad stories about)

Any that I (or anyone) stay away from?

Thanks.

2. Banned
    right now for me it's Planet Fitness, but I have some stuff at home that I do in addition to.

Pros:

-Cheap
    -nearby
    -not overcrowded
    -decent variety of machines
    -easy to get out of
    -cheap
    -cheap
    -cheap

Cons:

-Dumbells only go up to 75lbs
    -Barbells only to 60lbs
    -require a bank account

Ive tried to join Anytime Fitness around here twice. Both times failed: no one got back to me at the one location, and the other location is months behind in opening

3. Member
    I use the local YMCA. Clean and only 3 or 4 years old. The best part is my tie in insurance pays for it.

4. Banned
    used to go to anytime and la fitness. either was fine. use the neighborhood gym for free now

5. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I belonged to Park District Fitness center(nice/3 miles max) but they moved to ther side of town. I belonged to Charter and now Planet Fitness last 3 years but membership is coming to an end. I run in for 20-30 minute machine/barbell workout. All their threadmills and elliptical face the weight machines(me) instead of facing outside windows. I just don't like 30 people staring at every rep . I like to rest in between sets in peace early in morning especially if I had a night out. Health Clubs >> Must Haves >> Close to my house- within 2 or 3 miles(5min drive to 10min drive max) for before work workouts. and have long hours especially mornings(5am open).I don't want it crowded when I workout. I workout with weights so maybe a couple of benches and couple sets of barbells and probably 20+ weight machines along with some pulleys. I don't want all the cardio equipment directly facing the weight area. Anytime just opened 5 months ago 2 miles from house and never has more than 5 people in it when I would workout or anytime- they give you a key so you have 24/7.I just got their free 7 day pass and will joing Anytime. The $30/month is more than I ever paid but $30/Month is Cheap for your health. My wife will probably pay membership just to get slant bench and 50# barbells out of Family Room.
    Last edited by Basscaster; 01-29-2018 at 07:26 AM.

6. Member
    The guys using Planet Fitness, I've heard some bad stuff about them, stuff like No Grunting while lifting (or you get warned then your membership ends), other stuff like my BIL that was using their leg machine at the Full Stack. Next trip in it was gone, he inquired why and was told "others felt intimidated that they couldn't do the entire stack so we removed it".

Worst is trying to stop payment. Several complaints about it taking way to long, like 6 months, for payments to stop being taken. Official form needed to be used, sent by Certified Mail, wait for approval to stop, etc.

The facility I go to is locally owned. Their specialty I’d rehab from injuries. Half the small facility is their rehab space and the other half is workout machines. My membership is free through my healthcare provider, since I’m over 65. When I paid, it was $25 a month. I do 15 minutes on a recumbent bike, 150 reps on a sit up machine with 60 pounds of weight. 150 reps on a back strengthening machine with 135 pounds. 150 reps on the leg press machine with 80 pounds. 150 reps on the pull up machine with 70 pounds. I finish with 15 minutes in the treadmill set on an incline. And, I’m usually the youngest person there.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 01-29-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    YMCA for the last 27 years plus. Why? 1) Generally, a more conservative group of people. Not to hardcore 2) Christian organization 3) Equipment is usually current 3) Pool What I am starting to not like is the philosophy on "community support". "Scholarships" are at an all time high while my membership fee continues to go up. Needless to say but those being "scholar shipped" sometimes make it difficult for the paying members trying to enjoy a good workout.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    The guys using Planet Fitness, I've heard some bad stuff about them, stuff like No Grunting while lifting (or you get warned then your membership ends), other stuff like my BIL that was using their leg machine at the Full Stack. Next trip in it was gone, he inquired why and was told "others felt intimidated that they couldn't do the entire stack so we removed it".

Worst is trying to stop payment. Several complaints about it taking way to long, like 6 months, for payments to stop being taken. Official form needed to be used, sent by Certified Mail, wait for approval to stop, etc.
    I think it varies by place.

At the particular one I go to once in awhile something slams and the siren goes off, but nothing is done about it. The leg press still has all of the 45lb plates.

They just dont want meatheads walking around acting tough. Its a weird policy, but I get it.

The one time I cancelled membership it was easy and immediate.

Not much to choose from around my little town and was tired of what choices I did have so I built my own 15 years ago at home with Craigslist deals. Over the years I have gotten some nice commercial equipment...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm using Planet Fitness just because it is close and clean and fairly new, also didn't want to be intimidated by a bunch of muscle heads, if you know what I mean never been to a gym before in my life...lol but I try to go when it's not too busy and seem to be a nice place with decent people.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I have an annual track membership at the DISC (Decatur Indoor Sports Center). I only walk and they have a 4 lane 200 meter track. I pay $115.00 for a year.

Dale Sinclair original

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Not much to choose from around my little town and was tired of what choices I did have so I built my own 15 years ago at home with Craigslist deals. Over the years I have gotten some nice commercial equipment...
    wish I had the room at home to do this

Wife and I use 24hr Fitness.....love it. Pay about 75.00 total per month for both of us. We can use any location as some are elite, premier locations etc. We have the access to all of them with our membership. Location by house is immaculate with towel service. Great employees that are friendly and helpful. The clientele are mostly our age which we like. No attitudes or BS. Has everything including swimming pools. Love the variety of free classes and access to trainers.

They have 2 phone apps that are helpful. Workout tips and meal planning info. One app actually gives you a personalized daily workout plan when you check in. I like that a lot. Also can track your progress via the apps. Simply snap a picture of the readouts on machine when done and it uploads info for you. All of that is free with membership.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 01-29-2018 at 09:04 AM.

15. Member
    I use Planet Fitness. It's close to my house and it's cheap enough. They have everything I need but some serious gym guys say they don't have enough weights. They do have what is called a "Lunk Alarm". I have never heard it go off but I have heard the stories. If you act too Rambunctious I guess it will go off and you will be warned. I pretty much use the treadmill or the 30 minute circuit machines. It works for me.

16. Tired of muddy water Texas Rigs N Jigs's Avatar
    My wife and I were members of Lifetime Fitness. It was a country club that is always trying to sell you things. Finally got tired of it and the trainer blabbing on about the two women he has after us to train, and how they always want to take him home and bring him gifts....he was engaged too and seemed to still let them. Finally as we left one day, we turned in our badges and said we would not be back. They tried to get us to use them till the end of the month, but we declined.

We then tried Golds Gym. Sign up was easy, we got a trainer. Trainer was great and nice, lots of weights to use. I didn't like the training section in the middle of everybody for them to stare at you. I already dont like the way I look, I dont need 40 other people looking at me too. Getting out of this membership was a chore. They have to send you a form to fill out, for each person. Then you have to mail the form back to them, wait for them to submit the form and stop the payment. You get no notification what is going on, you just have to watch your bank account to see if they processed another payment. Then they told my wife, they never received her cancellation letter. She showed them proof that they received it and magically they found it and cancelled it.
    -----------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2014 Bass Tracker 175TF w/ 75 Mercury

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Texas-Rigs-...11968965774371
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7...7y0GgICAVeTZww

I go to Planet Fitness. It is cheap and close to me, bonus is if I have to travel for work there is normally another one around to use. I mainly use the Smith machines and some free weights.
    Cons: Not many free weights to chose from.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

My basement.

19. Member
    I go to a local gym in the city I work in. I also just started going to a Cross fit gym. The kids can go with the wife and I and the workout usually kicks my butt. Its funny, I can run along ways fast, I can lift a lot of weight, but when combining aerobic and lifting it whoops me.

Planet fitness isn't for me. My wife goes there and I like my sets to push me to the edge. On deadlocks power cleans snatches, sometimes you drop the weight. I don't go to the gym to make someone else feel good. I go to the gym to make me feel good and look better naked.

We have a Sole F85 treadmill in a spare bedroom, and are about to order the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. We tried Anytime Fitness for a year. We have access to a free membership since my wife's former boss bought into the Arkansas franchise for our area after he retired. The closest one is about 2 miles from the house, and very well kept. We're just not gym people. We walk, and will be doing free weights, at home. I commend anyone who goes to the gym if it helps them stay fit. Just not for everyone.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast