Water Pump Problems

Wasn't sure what Mercury forum to put this in I think this is the right one. But heres my dilemma. I have a 2001 Mercury XR6 150hp. Last year I rebuilt the water pump and put new impeller in it. Didn't have it out much but maybe 8 times last year. Took it out today and its not peeing and don't have any water pressure on my gauge. Motor overheat alarm went off. Went home flushed the motor and stuck a coat hanger in the pee hole a couple of inches and tried to run it again on the muffs. Still no pressure or water out the pee hole. Do I need to rebuild the pump again? What else should I check out?

2. Member
    pump first and all 3 gaskets in it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quick question. If the thermostat is stuck you would still have water pressure right?

4. Member
    yup
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Always start at the SOURCE: The Water Pump. As suggested, you MUST replace all three gaskets.

Also, good idea to post questions for this engine in the 2.5L forum (next one down).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Over heating problem on 2002 225 efi replace with water pump kit, thermostats,poppet valve still not peeing any ideas and still over heating. Removed lower unit again thinking might have missed tube but looked good.
    help!!!

7. Member
    possible base gaskets 2 under powerhead and ex plate blown/any water out of thermostat holes /sugest start thread in 3 L SECTION with ser number

8. Member
    You are not one of "those" that cranks the motor at the ramp I hope?

Went to the river Monday, pulled up behind a boat with an older 225 at the ramp prep area. While we were removing straps, transom saver, inserting plug, etc, Guy cranks the motor up right in front of me, still on the trailer and not in the water. Lets it idle for a minute, then shuts it off. They proceed to back down the ramp and launch. I hear him crank it up as I am backing down the ramp, he pulls over to the dock and starts fiddling. As I pull up beside him he is grumbling about sorry parts or sorry mechanic. "This is the THIRD water pump I have had installed this month and it is bad before I ever get to run it." I asked him "why on earth would you crank it out of the water?" He replied "to make sure everything is working, fuel to the motor, starter, etc." I told him "you realize that is a rubber part running in an oval cylinder... that the little fingers flex every revolution? You are RUINING the impeller doing that." He said something like "that's bull shit, my car can be run dry for a minute with no problems." I explained that rubber rubbing with much force on stainless produces a lot of heat. It depends on water going through it for lubrication and keeping it cool. He said "nobody ever told me that before..." I thought, but did not say "pretty logical concept, just like not running with a flat tire on your truck... somethings just ought not need to be said." Guess the dealer he goes to likes him a lot...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassed3 View Post
    Over heating problem on 2002 225 efi replace with water pump kit, thermostats,poppet valve still not peeing any ideas and still over heating. Removed lower unit again thinking might have missed tube but looked good.
    help!!!
    ONE engine per thread, please (this prevents "hijacking" someone else's question).

Thank you for your cooperation!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor