Thread: Steering help

Steering help

Motor is an Optimax 2.5l serial 0T688190

I’ve always had play in my steering when I move the motor back and forth. It’s coming from the steering link that connects to the motor. The bushing in the end of the arm is stiff but it does move, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to feel like. But the bolt is where the play is coming from. It fits loosely in the bushing and I’m not sure it’s the right bolt. It also has a groove inside the base of the head that looks like it’s supposed to sit on the bushing but there is a washer there that doesn’t come off. I took some pics

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BOLT should be torqued to 20 lbs/ft, nut tightened to same.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Should it maybe be a shouldered bolt? The smooth part of the bolt fits very loosely inside the bushing

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry- not able to ascertain clearances or play from images. If in doubt, and given the importance of this safety-related component, REPLACE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Anybody have a part number for the bolt so I can replace? Or the specs of the bolt like diameter and pitch. I’m not sure it’s the right one. I can measure the bolt and bushing ID size when I go to work with a micrometer. That may give an idea of how loose it is

6. Member
    Also for what to worth, it has a square looking hynautic cylinder on it

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    92876A12 is the complete Link Assembly.
    849838 is the BOLT.
    826709113 is the NUT.

Pick/Choose as required.