Thread: 2.5 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2.5 200

Anyone have any Performance Information of a 1999 2.5 Carb 200. On a Bassboat. 40amp System. 125lbs compression. Tks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    European Marine. I was asking anyone who has one do they like the way they run.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbh1954 View Post
    European Marine. I was asking anyone who has one do they like the way they run.
    Thanks for clarifying.

In general- good powerhead design, built on the tried-and-true 2.5L platform. Biggest drawback is starting/idling/jetting (very little available to you in terms of compensation for varying atmospheric conditions).

The EFI models did much better in terms of starting and performing under a wide-array of operating conditions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok.. I Probably Figure it Out

6. Member
    European Marine. I have received many PM.. They haven't witness drawbacks as you mention above. Wonder why ?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May be related to the time-frame in which they owned said engine(s). Prior to major fuel formulation changes, the engines were certainly less cantankerous.

What we buy at the pumps today is CONSTANTLY changing.

8. Member
    My 2002 carbed 200 overall performs well but as Don stated, idling and starting are things to think about. Mine starts pretty well 95% of the time, especially after learning it’s “needs”. I don’t have much problem with atmospheric conditions because it’s used at sea level 90% of the time and I don’t push it. Also realize mine is on a bay boat and not a bass boat. It idles about like most carbed 2 stroke motors do, bumpy. I love the simplicity of it though, really easy to work on and maintain, especially if you buy the service manual.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    Pumps Is Right

10. Member
    Leonreno .What are It's Needs as You Have Found ?

11. Member
    The starting procedure is the main thing to get right and it has been posted on here several times if you want to read the discussions, but for my motor, if I plane motor in level position and pump the bulb until hard then push and hold key in for ten seconds and then turn the key it will start almost all the time on the first or second try. If for some reason that doesn’t work then adding a little throttle will usually get it started. Pumping the bulb helps also when starting a hot motor after drifting.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    I have owned so many Mercury Engines can't count them. They always Started 1st time Every Time. Never any Trouble.

My 200 EFI needs to have the bulb pumped for first start of the day, motor tucked all the way in, turn key on for about 10 seconds, then it usually starts. Helped to replace the bulb recently, I don't think it was holding prime. Used to pump the bulb, turn on the key and then get the boat ready to back in the water, but would be hard to start. Biggest thing is keeping a fresh set of plugs in the motor. I pre-mix and once the starting gets harder it is time to replace the plugs. I think every motor has its quirks, just a matter of figuring it out.

14. Member
    I have never had a Bulb on a EFI. On the Carb Motors i have owned & there have been Many.. Pump it UP.Hit Key & Choke. Gone

15. Member
    if you don't have a bulb, do NOT run it out of fuel. You won't ever get it primed again and get fuel back to the motor. Every boat I have owned or used had a primer bulb. Including my current bass cat with a 2014 pro xs.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    I have had 3 260's.. One 300 Drag. They Never Had a Bulb.

17. Member
    Different issue. You probably had a remote 12v fuel pump in the back of the boat... Don't need a bulb if you have an aux fuel pump to get the fuel to the motor. That's what I ran on my 260 way back when.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    These engines are DESIGNED to be used without a primer bulb (and WITH an external supply pump).

19. Member
    I Had Mercury Factory Pump

ya' 'cause they have weldon fuel pumps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast