Fix your broken Water Pressure gauge

I let water sit in my pressure gauge a little too late last fall, resulting in a pegged gauge. The inner tube deformed, so I tried to replace it...A little googling and these gauges (teleflex sahara) are not made anymore and are over 60$ to replace, so I figured I would take a shot at fixing it. Nothing to lose anyways.

I carefully opened the plastic case with a hacksaw. Fortunately my tube was intact and not leaking, so it had just deformed due to the expanding water. I carefully bent it back by hand such that the needle just rested on zero (pic 3) with no pressure. Any deflection in the tube causes the needle to move freely and returns to zero with no pressure. I tested it with my air compressor and it worked really well, was within 3 psi all the way from 0 to 30 psi on my regulator. Then epoxied the case back together, it is ready for re-installation.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Well done. I love it when we fix or make, something from nothing.

Its amazing to me how many people won't take something apart, even if it has NO VALUE without a fix.

In the last week, my Comcast box went out ( had to swap for a new one); my phone crapped out, but was fixed after just reading what to do on the internet; an Amazon Fire box wouldn't start (free new one from Amazon); Keurig coffee make was blowing up the pods. (fixed after watching a video on their site!) and something else that I can't remember...all in 7 days! Yikes!

3. Member
    well done i too tryto fix all i can ,if you have time , then try it !

I have a collection of Yamaha water pressure gauges that were frozen... I should fix them and sell for $40 each.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    my sons was frozen they other day --silly question what is best way to prevent this from happening --never had a water pressure gauge before
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Unhook the water line from the gauge when yo winterize. Some folks install a "T" fitting used in aquarium parts in the line and just open the "T" to allow for the water to drain and what is left in the line to expand when it freezes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    i may look into the T because i never winterize my boat ---have been fishing all winter. Normally never gets crazy cold but i guess that deepfreeze front few weeks ago did a number on it.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Member
    You opted to saw it apart. American ingenuity at work. I think if you took that nut off the back, and opened up the folded over metal ring holding the glass in, the works would slide out of the case. Anyhow, 6 in one hand half dozen in the other, good job.

The needle will pull straight off and can be reinstalled by simply pressing it straight back on after you squeeze the Bourdon tube back to shape if you don't strip the gears.

9. Member
    I did take the nut off and I tried to unfold the metal bezel with a pick but it was too fragile and began to crack. Hacksaw was the backup plan but it worked really well.

Just read this, and had to run out in the garage to grab a couple of Teleflex red domed series gauges that I'd froze years past and try it out!
    I used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel to open them up (nice clean cut). One of the gauges, I pinched and squeezed the Bourdon tube like you did to re-zero the needle. The other, I had to grab the brass socket with a wrench and bent the tube gently as shown in the third pic. I epoxied the cases back together as you did. Result: Both gauges fixed!
    These gauges are nearly impossible to find now. I would never have thought to cut the case open to fix them. I'm glad I held onto them all these years. Thank you for posting this DIY fix!!
    01gauge.jpg 02gauge.jpg 03gauge.JPG 04gauge.jpg

11. Member
    Nice, that is awesome to see!

Thanks for sharing a great tip. I too have gone through a few gauges over the years. Now I drain each winter!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

13. Member
    Great tip. I have thrown 2 water pressure gauges away not knowing , not any more.

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have one in the cellar I'm going to go and try to fix today thanks for the tip
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

15. Member
    I fixed one of mine a while back like this, but I don't have any way to make sure it was accurate after the tweaking. I just bought a new one for peace of mind. You said it was within 3 psi, but many are running down to bare minimum psi. That would scare me lol. I now wonder how accurate new ones are.........
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

16. Member
    Awesome fix. Piece of cake using a Dremel tool with a cut off disc. Now to let the epoxy harden and put it back in the boat.
    Thanks for the heads up!!

It works again Thanks 4-2-18
    Last edited by scubatelco; 04-02-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

17. Member
    Hey thanks, great tip! Last night, I used a heat gun and heated the ring that holds the glass in. Then I ran razor blade around it and got it opened up, man talk about a distorted tube! I have not tried to bend it back yet.

18. Member
    Great tip for sure I successfully fixed my pressure gauge also. Just a little tweak of the bourbon tube and it went back to 0 no problems.

19. Member
    I bent the tube back to where it I thought it should be. To check it, I hooked it to a air source with a regulator and a gauge. I adjusted the regulator from 2 psi to 30 psi, my water gauge would read the same as the gauge on the regulator. So I believe it is good to go.

20. Member
    Mine still works but doesn't zero out how do you calibrate them