Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Mazco RE3 ain't to shabby... Can you spell (world record).
    The Mazco's needed quite a bit of customizing to get them to work properly and still didn't ave the top end and handling of the ET's on the 2003's.
    I had more than one of them spit a blade off also.

True the Shook record was on A 2002... On my 2003 the stock RE 4 worked very well with a T-load.. However the times I ran trips was with an RE 3.
    It's been my finding that any thin bladed prop is prone to spit A blade.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 02-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.

3. Member
    It's probably only going to spit one blade at a time.
    True the Shook record was on A 2002... On my 2003 the stock RE 4 worked very well with a T-load.. However the times I ran trips was with an RE 3.
    It's been my finding that every thin bladed prop is going to spit a few blades.

I ran stock RE3 and RE4 on my XR2002 as lake/load props and did fine with them. Had a buddy running a XR2001 that had them worked and thinned and slung blades often.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    It's probably only going to spit one blade at a time.
    Flung my share, your right never slung two off the same one.. Even though I thought the vibration might sling the motor off...
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 02-25-2018 at 05:38 PM.

6. Member
    I don't want no part in slinging an ear. Guess I need to steer clear of thin blades.

No guarantees--- ANY of them can sling an ear off. Especially on fast boats !!

8. Member
    No guarantees--- ANY of them can sling an ear off. Especially on fast boats !!
    Anything but a Trophy according to Tim Powell!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

9. Member
    If you surface a prop it is more prone to sling a blade. I'm surprised they stay together as good as they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I don't want no part in slinging an ear. Guess I need to steer clear of thin blades.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Anything but a Trophy according to Tim Powell!
    Do a search on the old Allison board.. there were a few years that Merc's metallurgy was deficient.. No telling how many Merc props let go, Trophies included.

11. Member
    I was bein as little sarcastic lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

12. Member
    Got my boat out yesterday with a buddy and still had the 28 trophy on it. I got to play around a bit with it noticed something with the trim. In order to do 80 mph I had to trim past neutral and into some positive trim. I read somewhere that new drivers need to stay away from positive trim. I guess this is where I should raise the motor a tad to get more rpm's instead of more trim. I'm gonna put the 27 on and run it in a few days, see how I like it.

13. Member
    Got my boat out yesterday with a buddy and still had the 28 trophy on it. I got to play around a bit with it noticed something with the trim. In order to do 80 mph I had to trim past neutral and into some positive trim. I read somewhere that new drivers need to stay away from positive trim. I guess this is where I should raise the motor a tad to get more rpm's instead of more trim. I'm gonna put the 27 on and run it in a few days, see how I like it.
    Right! The Allison hulls don’t normally need much positive trim. You are correct to try and raise the motor to get your RPMs to the recommended range. Just keep an eye on your water pressure.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Ok I am at 1/4" below pad right now. At what point do I need to worry about doing a bat hook?

15. Member
    Ok I am at 1/4" below pad right now. At what point do I need to worry about doing a bat hook?
    I am not sure on the 2003. I know the sweet spot on the XB-21s is usually a little below even pad.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    You Don't Have Anything To Worry About

17. Moderator
    1/4" below the pad is bout as high as you want to run a XB-2003. Any higher is looking for trouble.

18. Member
    I'm going to put the 27 trophy on the next time I get to run the boat and see how it does.

19. Member
    Always liked the 27 Trophy on my XB2003. Worked well with my old 280 and the 225X I have now. Owned a bunch of high dollar props over the years, 3 & 4 blades with over & through hubs, their all gone now but I still have that Trophy.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandLakeGAR View Post
    Always liked the 27 Trophy on my XB2003. Worked well with my old 280 and the 225X I have now. Owned a bunch of high dollar props over the years, 3 & 4 blades with over & through hubs, their all gone now but I still have that Trophy.
    I, much like you, have owned quite a few props over the years. I have settled down on Hydromotive OT's and Mercury Chopper II's. Both run VERY well on my XB2003.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast