1990 Cajun 174ZW Battery Placement Question

All,

I am finally nearing the end of an 18 month full (top off) restoration of a 1990 174ZW with its original 115 Mariner. Completed 90% of the wiring this weekend, but have one question that I though you guys might be able to help me with. The batteries are located in a compartment on the starboard side under the rear fishing deck and behind the passenger seats. The compartment is large enough to hold probably 4 batteries but does not have any battery trays. Does anyone know if the batteries were originally positioned on the starboard side or nearer to the center of this compartment? I would think closer to the center is better, but the access hole for the sump / bilge is right there. If I needed to get a look (or hand) down there while on the water, I would have to move the batteries. Not ideal in a potential urgent situation on the water.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron

My 1990 Ragin Cajun has two compartments on either side of a livewell. The port side houses my two TM batteries and the starboard side houses the oil tank and cranking battery.

Jim
    Jim
    1991 17 ft Ragin Cajun
    150 Evinrude Intruder

Here's the best pic I have showing my compartment set-up

Jim

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    1991 17 ft Ragin Cajun
    150 Evinrude Intruder

4. Member
    Put a shirt on, Jim.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

5. Member
    Jim, Thanks for the feedback and photo. Mine is a little different. Compartment on the right is a livewell. The one on the left is utilities. Tough to see in this photo, but just to the left of the center spar is the access opening to the bilge. Hate to cover that up, but also don't want to mess up the weight distribution. Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images