capacityh plate question

Hi all,
    I have recently bought a 1997 ragin cajun 171. Being in Quebec ,Canada have not had a chance to put it on the lake yet. My capacity plate says 130 hp max. with single cable.. I was wondering if it was possible to have another rating for dual cable ? This boat has a 150 hp evinrude with dual steering cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

2. Member
    Are you saying that you are going to have to find this rating plate for 150 dual cable before you can use the boat in Quebec?The capacity plate that is on the boat at the present time does it actually say 130 hp max with single cable or does it just say max hp 130. thanks
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

3. Member
    it says 130 hp single cable. The guy I bought it from in Ontario, next province over has had no issues and he's owned the boat for 17 years. But I would feel a lot safer with a plate that says 150 hp.

I have a 1995 brochure that lists a 171 Pro Adventure, with two H.P. ratings: up to 150 H.P. with dual-cable steering, 115 to 130 H.P. with single-cable steering. iboats.com also lists it with a 150 H.P. rating (not with the details my brochure has).
    I'd recommend contacting someone like www.garzonstudio.com and have a new decal made that lists the 150 max. rating, per Mfg. brochure.

Pics from my brochure... Sorry about some of these being rotated.

5. Member
    I have been around boats for nearly 40 years and learned something new today.i never new that some boats had two different ratings,one for single cable and one for dual cable.i would go along with castingcall comments and get a new plate made.since the mfgs. brochure list the boat with two different hp it should not be a problem.thanks guys and good luck
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Installing a good hydraulic system would make more sense than replacing a single cable with a dual cable system. MUCH easier to steer, I might add.

Many years ago, I met a guy who had owned a small-ish bass boat with single cable system, and was out fishing with his wife. When the single cable broke, they were both suddenly ejected into the water. She asked about that, and of course, he said a dual cable system was the answer. Her second question was "How big a boat do we need to get to get dual cables". I don't know what his answer to that was, but I suspect he was a happy camper and had a tough time not blowing this stroke of luck!

7. Member
    Iguana graphics is a board sponsor. Lots of good comments from users.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO