Leaders with spinning rigs.

I recently picked up two spinning rigs. One is going to be reserved in most cases for use by an amateur I may have on board dor throwing t rigs. The other I want to use for throwing small rapala jerkbaits. I have purchased 20 pound power pro for mainline and plan to use some sort of leader.

Will mono work ok or is florocarbon be better? I see a lot of people use florocarbon. I have never really used the stuff. If I buy florocarbon do I buy the leader material or the regular line? What is the difference in the two?

2. Member
    You can use mono if you want to, but you get better sensitivity and less visibility with fluorocarbon. If you do decide to use fluorocarbon, make sure you get 100% fluorocarbon leader material. You can use regular 100% fluorocarbon line but leader material is more abrasion resistant, stronger, and has better knot strength. 100% fluorocarbon leader material is not meant to be spooled onto a reel because it's thicker and stiffer. It's just meant to be used as a leader.

Hope this helps

3. Member
    If you’re going to be using it for jerkbait fishing I’d go with a mono leader since your main line will have zero stretch.

I have been using Braid/leader combo's for several years and have gradually switched over to mono leaders because of break offs on hook set. I have also moved from medium heavy to medium rods. My observation is that something has to absorb the shock on a hookset and the fish can't always do that.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have been using Braid/leader combo's for several years and have gradually switched over to mono leaders because of break offs on hook set. I have also moved from medium heavy to medium rods. My observation is that something has to absorb the shock on a hookset and the fish can't always do that.
    You are right something has to absorb the shock load. I use InvisX on my braided spinning rods for leaders without issue. The only rod that I leave straight braid on is my heavy cover baitcasting setup to wrench fish out of the slop.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    If you’re going to be using it for jerkbait fishing I’d go with a mono leader since your main line will have zero stretch.
    Unless you want your jerkbait to suspend. Mono floats and will cause it to rise. Flourocarbon sinks and your bait has a better chance of suspending or slowly sink. I think the flourocarbon will give you a more natural presentation. However, if you aren't gonna let it sit, I'd use mono for sure. jmo
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Member
    I ordered some florocarbon leader material in 8 10 and 12. I am beginning to think that the p line cxx that I use a lot of would work well too due to it’s toughness.

8. Member
    I don't think leader fluoro is necessarily more abrasion resistant than line. It more depends on the type of fluoro you are getting. Leader fluoro always seems much more expensive to me than just buying a smaller spool of line and using some for filling your reel and having some for leaders.

9. Member
    I bought some Sunline specifically labeled as "leader." It sucked. I keep a spool of 6, 8, and 10 in the boat. PLine Flouroclear.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Sunline Sniper, Shooter, and the Mono.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    I bought some Sunline specifically labeled as "leader." It sucked. I keep a spool of 6, 8, and 10 in the boat. PLine Flouroclear.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Sunline Sniper, Shooter, and the Mono.
    What did you think sucked about it? I ask because I'm actually a little shocked to read this - most people who end up saying fluoro sucks as a leader seem to be using the stuff meant to be spooled up. The Sunline leader material is my go-to for leaders. It's way, way too stiff to try and spool up (so is also a bad choice if you're someone who likes to put a really long leader on as many do on drop shots), but it's the best I've found for using as leader material in my mind. Excellent straight strength, very abrasion resistant, and excellent knot strength.

I do agree with those talking about needing something to absorb shock. I've gone to a medium- mod. fast for jerkbaits. In fact, I've found I've had the most success by taking a step back in power for just about every rod I use braid on versus what I would use with mono. I think it was one of the Tactical Bassin' videos that mentioned this and, after taking stock of my setups, I realized I had started doing that very thing. I've also gone to using "slower" actions for many techniques (spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, the jerkbaits as already mentioned, etc.)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    I've been using spinning rods that have braid to leader for the past couple years and for my drop shot set up, I have 20lb braid to an 8lb flouro leader and for that application I think flouro is great but on my other set up , which I use for small Texas rigs and small jigs, I use a copoly leader. It doesn't have the stretch that regular mono has but enough that it handles well with braid. I use 10 to 12lb test for it and for me it works . I've only had good experiences with flouro for my drop shots, seems like anything else I use it for, I have problems with the knot failing. I've found some knots I really like with copoly and it just works for me. Because of what stretch it does have, It can get knicked up from rocks and I don't worry much about it breaking unless it's bad.

12. Member
    Drewflu, how does the sunline leader compare to shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Drewflu, how does the sunline leader compare to shooter?
    I haven't used the "new" Shooter yet where they have different formulations for different pound tests targeted at different applications, but I'd say that if you wanted to compare it to any of the "mainline" fluoros Sunline produces the old Shooter is the most similar to the leader material. Still a bit stiffer and I'd wager more abrasion resistant than Shooter, but that's the closest.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    Mono works and shock absorbs. And should float like your braid so other than the knot in the guides doesn’t have much negative.
    I'm personally trying lots of options to find what I like.
    But it will affect spy baits and others that need a sinking line. But so will your braid.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Mono works and shock absorbs. And should float like your braid so other than the knot in the guides doesn’t have much negative.
    I'm personally trying lots of options to find what I like.
    But it will affect spy baits and others that need a sinking line. But so will your braid.
    Spybaits need a sinking line? That's funny...they don't know if it's 6 lb mono or floro. You'll never tell the difference

16. Member
    The spy bait does..lol...the action is different at least that’s what Realis says( at the seminar). Seems to useing the g80’s and counting them down. Changes the depth count and I guess they start to fall tail low messing up the wobble. We are using them down about 15ft still.getting fish to come up from 35ft or so.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    The spy bait does..lol...the action is different at least that’s what Realis says( at the seminar). Seems to useing the g80’s and counting them down. Changes the depth count and I guess they start to fall tail low messing up the wobble. We are using them down about 15ft still.getting fish to come up from 35ft or so.
    Floro to braid?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I haven't used the "new" Shooter yet where they have different formulations for different pound tests targeted at different applications, but I'd say that if you wanted to compare it to any of the "mainline" fluoros Sunline produces the old Shooter is the most similar to the leader material. Still a bit stiffer and I'd wager more abrasion resistant than Shooter, but that's the closest.
    I never new that the leader stuff was generally tougher. I am going to try the 20 this year as an anti pike leader.

19. Member
    something that caught my eye......20lb? use 10-12lb max flouro for jerkbaits.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.