Livewell Gravity Drain Fitting Leaks

I have a leak so I searched the forum and followed the advice in one of the posts and removed the battery, PP pumps and cover plate backed trailer in water and found the source of the leak. It was the gravity drain fitting at the livewell on the port side tried to remove the hose but some genius (bought boat used from dealer) put some kind of sealant around the connection point and I cannot break the hose free. I was wondering if anyone else has replaced this fitting or any other on your livewell and was the hose a major PITA to break lose? Looking for ideas on how to attack.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

2. Member
    The coast guard requires there to be two forms of sealant on hoses that are open to the water. That's the reason for that. I had one of those hoses leaking a little and I just rubbed some silicone all around there on both of those hose connections and it fixed it. I would think some good silicone would stop your leak

3. Member
    Changed same one today. That white stuff is 3-M 5200. Broke mine at the elbow trying to get it off. I had the rubber grommet from the door latch fall in livewell and lodge itself in the elbow of the thru hull fitting. Could not get it out. Tried to disconnect hose from thru hull fitting and broke inside hose. Had to use screwdriver to pry broke piece out. Now I damaged the hose and had to trim some off to make good seal when putting new thru hull fitting on. But the hose was to short now since it's the exact length needed. Had to make splice in middle of hose to get my inch back. Used channel locks to unscrew nut, put a pillow on batteries and laid my body inside of hull with my feet hanging out to work. Have fun!!! Call Tim and he'll send you a new one. I would recommend using the 5200 to install thru hull fitting and hose. If it fails, good chance of taking major water and maybe to late to recover.

4. Member
    Borrowed a heat gun finally broke hose free and talked to Tim @Phoenix and he is sending new hose and fitting first thing in the morning. Tim said they use 4200 for the hose fittings.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

5. Member
    Good idea on the heat gun

6. Member
    '14 920. I completed the recommended test (thank you Tim) and found my leak.

Bottom three holes = Port Livewell fill, Boat Drain plug, Starboard livewell fill.
    Top four holes (Port to Starboard or left to right) = Port overflow, Port drain, Starboard drain and Starboard overflow.

Test:
    - Place a plug in the Port drain.
    - Remove boat drain plug
    - Fill port livewell about 1/2 way.
    - Watch water start leaking out the boat drain plug hole.

My leak is the port livewell drain plug fitting on the backside of livewell. It was not noticeable until I removed a battery, floor tray, and the backing plate with the 36volt switch mounted to it. What a lot of lines down there. Once the above was removed, I refilled the port livewell and watched the fitting just above the hose connection leak a steady stream. Though not recommended by Tim, I also removed the access lid so I could lay on the deck as I performed the upside down finger fiddling...my hand hurts and I'm not done.

As others have stated...time consuming and a little bit of a pain to get to. My problem is the fitting itself...what the hell. Large or small pliers, I cannot get this dang darn blame sweet son of a ..... I'll try the mentioned heat gun ordeal tomorrow.

Additional thoughts and I think I get it. If they'd used metal fittings it could stress the livewell fiberglass during road trips and harsh weather conditions on the water. Sometimes we just have to accept the cheap plastic and as stated; what a great ride.
    -D
    2014 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP / MERC 250 PRO XS / 25P Tempest
    FORTREX 101 / Double HDS-10s

7. Member
    Having spent way to much time trying to break the part loose, I was able to put a deep socket on it since the 90degree elbow was broke. Finished the install, will try to get on water next weekend. Still think the heat gun is very viable option.
    -D
    2014 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP / MERC 250 PRO XS / 25P Tempest
    FORTREX 101 / Double HDS-10s

8. Member
    My question is why would they put a 90 degree elbow at the start of the drain???? This should be a straight fitting! My port live well wasn't draining and I tried everything to unplug it. Finally I took the metal plates out to access the hose. the hose was clear but someone got a little careless and the 5200 caulking is inside of the elbow!!!! I finally was able to work a hole thru the caulk but I would like to remove that elbow and install a new one. Obviously no one tested their work! This is a bear to get to so for now i will live with the drain running slowly.