Replacement trailer bunks

What type wood should you use when replacing trailer bunks and side boards
    <*)\\\|><)
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Treated
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Plastic! Won't go back after having it.

4. Member
    Cyprus if you can get it. You might be able to find some given you live in the south. Else treated but treated wood must be kept away from any alum material I believe.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    If you go treated do not go with carpet. Go with something like the Gator Backs or even TieDown makes a poly covering that get slick and makes getting on and off easier.
    Last edited by fishnkamp; 02-03-2018 at 07:30 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnkamp View Post
    If you go treated do not go with carpet. Go with something like the Gator Backs or even C E Smith makes a poly covering that get slick and makes getting on and off easier.
    Why would you not go with carpet if you used treated wood?
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

last set going on 8 years I used regular lumber cut to match all replaced. soaked them with Thompsons water seal, then covered with new carpet SS Staples, left the underneath gap. No issues. boat in lake let uncle go fish while I changed them out, then called him on cell when I was done and go fish

8. Member
    The treated wood is the least expensive material availabe and is used most often. Carpet just holds water and causes the wood to rot. That is probably why the OP is replacing the wood in the first place.
    Carpet is also an issue in states worried about transferring unwanted aquatic organisms. Many states are starting to require you to pressure wash your boat either after pulling out at a ramp or before relaunching.
    Things like zebra mussels are what they are trying to contain the spread of. Carpet just gives them a place to reside. Instead of carpet, I was suggesting he use a product like Gator Backs, or these bunk covers from Calibur.

Another option are these from TieDown. I have used these myself on two trailers. They get really slick and are reasonably priced.

They come in kits for 2x4 and 2x6 boards and cost around $60 for the complete kit. I have found these to be a better mousetrap compared to carpet.

9. mikesxpress
    Caliber is NOT for fiberglass boats!!!!!

10. Member
    mikesxpress you are correct that point is made on their website.

The OP never mentioned what his boat was, so I offered multiple suggestions. The TieDowns would work and so would the Gatorbacks for fiberglass or aluminum.

11. Member
    where do you guys do your rewear for your bunks ? i’m wondering do you drop it in the water then do this in parking lot or is there a way you guys can lift your boat up in the garage ?

12. Member
    I tied mine up to a friends dock and did it in my shaded garage. Some will say parking lot which is an option. One thing they might not say. I found one of my bunks had mounts that were crocked. I had to literally use c-clamps to twist the board. This took extra time. Parking lot would be find if you don't have any such situations; which you will not know until you start!
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947