Advice/Help: Maintenance of Jack Plate Bolts and Motor Mount

Could use some help and have read bits and pieces of information on this here at BBC (as well as read horror stories), but I can't find a definitive "help" guide (even in the maintenance section - great section - just need some more specifics).

In short, folks recommend tightening your jack plate bolts and motor mount bolts at least once year, if not twice a year (is that right - that often?). If in rough water with a sustained run, folks say you should inspect them after the run. If not, it can be at a minimum very expensive to repair or worse, a serious safety issue.

I have a 2017 520C with a Mercury Pro XS. I've seen folks post this as the spec (?):

90 ft lbs engine bolts to jack plate (metal to metal; some report 80 ft lbs)
    55 ft lbs jack plate to transom (metal to fiberglass)

I also saw where folks emphasize on the transom bolts to make sure you hold the bolt as you tighten the nut to not allow it to turn or you will break the silicone seal on the transom, which will lead to water ingress.

I also saw where someone was going to make a video (2014 post I believe) showing how to do this routine maintenance, but I was not able to find the video.

Since I can't "undo" a mistake once done, I thought I would post here first before doing anything. If this is indeed routine and straight forward, there has to be a load of folks that do this all the time, particularly if most folks recommend every 6 months.

I will take any and all advice - here are a few general questions:

1. It's pretty tight in there. Granted my photo doesn't have the hydraulic jack plate all the way up with the motor trimmed all the way down, but even then, it's a tight space irregardless of what you adjust to allow room for tools. Is there a specific tool that fits well to get the job done? I have a torque wrench (large automotive) and socket wrench, but it's very, very tight. The torque wrench is too big. There has to be a better way.

2. Getting to the transom bolts. The top two require what appears to pop off a circular plastic cover (black) to gain access. What is the best way to do this without damaging the plastic cover? Just pop out with a thin, flathead screwdriver? Does it require any twisting? I know once I get the first one off I will know what to do then (or even if it was a big deal), but I would rather do that without potentially damaging it first.

3. Silicone seal. It seems virtually impossible to guarantee no bolt twist - and it looks like it has be a two man job, at least for the bottom two bolts. Looks like you have to take off the black splash well cover to get to the bottom two bolts and then have someone crawl in there to try to reach the bolt while the other man remains outside by the transom - so communication is going to key but seems like no matter what it will lead to some twist - particularly if someone has to crawl in which will limit their ability to "guarantee" no twist through long, outstretched arms. What then? Is some twist acceptable? Once the job is done, regardless, do you apply silcone around the perimeter externally on the external transom and internal transom just to be safe? Even then, if you do this every 6 to 12 months, seems like build-up would eventually be a problem, and removing the silicone would be a pain because access is already not that easy inside the transom.

At any rate, I will stop there. For something as potentially dangerous (important) but "routine", this has to be easier than I am making it out to be and folks have to be doing this all the time with no problems. It will be my first time doing this, so I am trying to head off a host of first time mistakes leveraging the experience base of this board. As with anything, once you do it once, you know the right path.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help. I know I can't be alone on this.
    Last edited by gte331r; 01-27-2018 at 08:53 AM.

2. Member
    Sorry - forgot to add photos - here they are:

3. Member
    No pics showing for me.....sorry
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    No pics showing for me.....sorry
    Thanks Mike - the pics were showing but no longer showing for me either - I will try to upload again after this - they just show the bolts on the stern of the bolt

As for my post - it's probably too long but can be summarized as this:

1. What's the right way to tighten up your motor mounts?
    2. Do folks really do this "regularly / annually"? (I've talked to some at the ramp - I've heard a lot of "never have")
    3. Do folks just have the dealer do it at annual check-ups?

Lotta of folks with Rangers so have to figure if it's common practice should be straight forward with tips on the right way to avoid mistakes going through it the first time - but I am beginning to think it's not as commonly done as I originally thought...?

5. Member
    Re-post of pics:

Attached Images Attached Images

1. What's the right way to tighten up your motor mounts?do I have re-torqued my motor mounts and no have it on my annual maintenance plan. I started doing it with the '99 519DVS I had because I ran quite a bit of rough water (Green bay) with it in a season and found it was necessary as I could always get a bit more on the bolts. The guy I bought the boat from double nutted the bolts to try and keep them tight but I still found I had to check them.

My current boat, Z521, I have had for two years now and after I got it I kept fussing because there was too much play in the power poles. That fall while doing my regular fall maintenance I found that the pp mounting plate sandwiched between jackplate and transom was flexing because the upper transom bolts were too loose. Since then I have made sure to check the bolts at least a couple of times a year. Incidentally, the 1/2" upper transom bolts have been replaced by 9/16" bolts something I am a fan of nowadays especially if you are running big waters like the great lakes.
    I think I have heard that Basscat uses 6 bolts in their transom and I think that is a really good idea.

2. Do folks really do this "regularly / annually"? (I've talked to some at the ramp - I've heard a lot of "never have" I only know of a couple of people who are doing this.

3. Do folks just have the dealer do it at annual check-up? I have always done my own maintenance but the dealer should be doing this and many other things on a regular fall maintenance
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan