Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here we go again. Onix .....

Good morning . I just updated the software to 3.110 on my Onix! Lo and behold mine has problems supposedly fixed by 3.110. Problems I have not seen before. Problems with 2d and showing the chart. I have defaulted to factory setting numerous times. The power cable is an 8 gauge with all Burndy copper crimps. Voltage drop on the power cable is negligible. It was back in to Humminbird for screen replacement and the various Onix issues in May. It went out of warranty on Jan 16, 2018. Just waiting to see what how well they take care of me. Like many Onix units it was never trouble free. I understand that all brands have issues at times but this is three years they have had to fix them! Sorry for the rant!
    Happy Fishin'
    Greg

Detail the problems you are experiencing.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Detail the problems you are experiencing.
    It started with a split screen with the chart on the left and 2d sonar on the right. The 2d screen looked like it was skipping data. It was skipping vertical lines. And the chart only drew about half of the chart and then ceased to build the chart image.
    After several factory defaults it worked on SI but appeared to lack its usual detail. I returned to the split screen and once again 2d and the chart were both not working properly.
    Also at one point 2d sonar with chirp and 83/200 selected also skipped showing the data. At the end of the day it would never work properly with any split screen.
    I called Humminbird and a very nice lady answered, after about 45 minutes they decided it needed to come back to Humminbird.
    I am just hoping for the best. I really like the Onix but I wish I had one of the ones that seem to be working.
    Thanks for the interest!
    Greg

It's helpful to list your issues since not everyone uses their units the same way. They can check their unit's performance against what you experienced.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Your correct as usual. I am a bit aggravated and perhaps sharper in tone than necessary.
    After resetting factory default three times or more, I really have a poorer performing machine than I did before the 3.110 install. I was told that perhaps the copy that I installed was corrupt. I do not doubt that. I will keep the fishing masses updated on this issue. Haven't heard many Onix owners complain about the new update. To be honest the last time mine went in was after 3.40. I forgot about that.
    Happy Fishin'
    Greg

6. Member
    Dot think it's corrupt download mines acting really crazy also 200 hertz getting same as you and 83 really not the same, fish ID not working on 83 hertz at all, and the depth numbers on 200 that do show have the numbers reversed, should have stayed with the last software cause now 2d sux

Quote Originally Posted by fish stick View Post
    Dot think it's corrupt download mines acting really crazy also 200 hertz getting same as you and 83 really not the same, fish ID not working on 83 hertz at all, and the depth numbers on 200 that do show have the numbers reversed, should have stayed with the last software cause now 2d sux
    This is the second time I've read posts where some updated their Onix and they state there 2d numbers are reversed. Is that a problem caused by the 3.110 update?
    FirstSergeantUSAF
    Jet Noise, The Sound of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by FirstSergeantUSAF View Post
    This is the second time I've read posts where some updated their Onix and they state there 2d numbers are reversed. Is that a problem caused by the 3.110 update?
    The SOLIX got that issue also with 3.110. I first though the depths were all wrong, but they are correct if you reverse the numbers.
    02 is actually 20, 72 is actually 27, etc.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    The SOLIX got that issue also with 3.110. I first though the depths were all wrong, but they are correct if you reverse the numbers.
    02 is actually 20, 72 is actually 27, etc.
    Wayne, since I have not powered on my new solix's yet (getting them installed now) and do not know which software version they are currently running, do you recommend updating ? Does it happen on all units or is it random ? I would hate to know I spent this kind of money on humminbirds and they cant get depth readings correct.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Wayne, since I have not powered on my new solix's yet (getting them installed now) and do not know which software version they are currently running, do you recommend updating ? Does it happen on all units or is it random ? I would hate to know I spent this kind of money on humminbirds and they cant get depth readings correct.
    Whether or not your units have the 3.110 software depends on when the units were made. The software was released 17 days ago.
    The glitch discussed concerns FishID, not the depth or 2D sonar, if you don't use FishID, you will not know there is an issue.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 01-30-2018 at 04:34 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Whether or not your units have the 3.110 software depends on when the units were made. The software was released 17 days ago.
    The glitch discussed concerns FishID, not the depth or 2D sonar, if you don't use FishID, you will not know there is an issue.
    Thank you sir !

This is what the reversed number fish depths look like.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Who actually uses fishid anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Who actually uses fishid anyway?
    The ones that have Humminbirds that know what it does and how it works.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I didn't realize they were referring to t FishID only. I thought it was a problem with the depth in general. Thanks. I have had my Onix units for 2 years and have never used that function. Matter of fact, I've never used it on the 1198, 798.
    FirstSergeantUSAF
    Jet Noise, The Sound of Freedom

16. Banned
    yea quit using it a while ago

17. Member
    I still use it and like it, and hope they fix it like it was before 3.11, it and 83 hertz worked great now it sux

18. Member
    It's helpful to list your issues since not everyone uses their units the same way. They can check their unit's performance against what you experienced.
    Just got the Onix back from Humminbird. It was out of warranty by a couple of weeks.
    To HB's credit they did a lot of work. They replaced the screen and main board as well as the button and thumbs hwheel panel.
    They reinstalled 3.11 and did a system wipe. They actually tested on the water and recorded a couple of screen shots. Looks good.
    Last but not least they included a new Onix transducer.
    The tab for all this was ZERO DOLLARS!! The tech also thinks my copy of the software was corrupt. Maybe this info might be useful to someone.
    So happy with HB!
    Good fishing guys.
    Greg Harrison

19. Member
    I’ve been hesitant to update to latest version on both my Onix units. Have all the bugs been worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaracer View Post
    I’ve been hesitant to update to latest version on both my Onix units. Have all the bugs been worked out?
    There has been no software update since 3.110. The appropriate insecticide is being mixed up.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast