Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Patrick Tharp

Panoptix transducer selection

I’m looking to add panoptix to my kayak this coming year but at somewhat co fused by the transducer selection. I’m currently looking at the PS 22-TR, PS21-TR and the PS21-TM. I am curious to see what everyone recommends. I plan on using it solely for bass fishing. Also mounting while will be on a pole mountover the side that can we swiveled all around similar to a trolling motor. My initial impulse was to get the PS21-TR but it shows they will be out of stock 3-5 weeks and possible indefinitely with the addition of the PS22-TR. I’d love to hear the pros and cons to each and what everyone would recommend.

Not sure they make a pole/shaft mount for the TR series.

3. Patrick Tharp
    I don’t think they do either but I’m sure I could figure out a way. I’m really just looking for the physical differences between the transducers and which one of the 3 everybody recommends

4. Member
    The transducer bodies themselves are near identical. The PS21-TM and PS22 have a concave face and the PS21-TR has a flat face. If you buy a PS21-TM it will come with a huge metal transom mount bracket. You'll be discarding that and either buying or making your own mount. IMO the decision has a lot to do with how much jigging straight down you'll be doing. If that will be your primary method of fishing I'd spend the extra money and get the PS22. Otherwise I'd go for a 7 inch echomap Plus with the PS21-TR and a GT8HW. The GT8 is 8 pin so you'll need a 12 to 8 pin adapter. You might come out better getting one of the packaged combo transducers if you'll have room to mount it. Garmin has hit the bull's eye with these echomap Plus 7 and 9 inch units. The CV22 and CV52 both have the same 2d element as the GT8. The way I would use it would be to setup one of the key assist buttons to be Panoptix LiveVu Forward and another to be at least half screen 2d. While fishing I would be using the Panoptix until it showed fish getting real, real close. Then I would just reach over and hit the #2 button to switch screens for the 2d. You'll have menu options for choosing wide or narrow cone angle according to your preference.

For your pole mount you have several options. You can make your own or buy one ready made. Just do a search for portable transducer mount or start a thread "Looking for a pole mount".
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-27-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Patrick Tharp
    Thanks! One question what’s the benefit to the GT8HW transducer? I’m currently running the echomap chirp 73sv with the GT52TM. The plan is to be able to swap the echomap plus back and forth on the ranger while leaving the panoptix on the yak. I don’t need the PS22 but haven’t been able to find a PS21 on Garmins site (I get a discount if I order through garmin),

6. Member
    Looks like it's working for me.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530077
    3-5 weeks delivery though.

GT8. I really like the performance of this transducer, frequency range, and cone widths it offers when set to a manual frequency. On the Plus unit, the menu allows for cone width selection. It's the same performance you are currently seeing with the GT52; same element. So it wouldn't be anything new for you.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I have a new PS21 tm for $650 shipped if interested

8. Patrick Tharp
    Does the GT8 transducer do down imaging and side imaging? It just seems like a very basic looking transducer that’s why I’m curious.

9. Patrick Tharp
    If I can’t gwt one through Garmin. I’ll letcha know MonteSS.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PootiTharp33 View Post
    Does the GT8 transducer do down imaging and side imaging? It just seems like a very basic looking transducer that’s why I’m curious.
    no it is just traditional. That's why I also have the GT 30 because it does down and side imaging.

11. Member
    From my research the ps 30 and 31 both have adjustable beams 10,20,30,40 degrees. The ps 21 has a fixed beam of 40 degrees. And the ps 22 has fixed beam of 20 degrees that can be manually turned for front or down view. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

12. Member
    Word is that the 20 degree beam width is better....ask Winchester. He has experience w both.

13. Banned
    are they going to do a software update to make the 1040xs compatible with the Ps 22 or I am just going to have to but a 1042xs?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusflyr View Post
    Word is that the 20 degree beam width is better....ask Winchester. He has experience w both.

Which one is better? Neither. The 20 degree cone on the PS22 is my preference. It's not that one performs better than the other. They are just different. The rotation search speed on the 22 has to be slower than the 21. The 21 can be rotated faster but you may have to do a little back and forth to pinpoint. My preference is to not have to do the back and forth. Amount of time to find and pinpoint a target is probably a wash. When I was using the PS21 I rotated the TM so fast that I usually saw the target and ended up going a bit past it and had to come back. With the 22 I rotate slower and stop more on target.

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    are they going to do a software update to make the 1040xs compatible with the Ps 22 or I am just going to have to but a 1042xs?
    No compatibility is planned for the 1040 and PS22.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    I’m going to pull the trigger on a Panoptix transducer. I have an Echomap Chirp 73cv on the bow. It will be mounted on the motor, not on the shaft. I don’t really think I’ll use the downvu and primarily just want forward viewing for bass. GPS City has the PS21 for $699. Is it worth spending $300 more just to get the 20 degree cone? With Garmin’s current rebate, that’s Panoptix magic on my boat for only $500. Any thoughts on spending more money for the downvu and supposedly better images from the 20 degree cone on the PS22? Thanks in advance.

I could be wrong, but I believe the transom mount PS21 has the 20 degree cone and can be mounted on the trolling motor with either the shaft or barrel mount, which would have to be purchased separately.

18. Member
    It looks like you're correct, and it's the same price. It comes with 30' of cable though. That's a lot of extra cable to coil up somewhere. I should've also mentioned that I have a Terrova, so the turning speed is constant. In reading the above posts, I'm wondering what Winchester's opinion is about which one would work better with the constant speed of a electric steer trolling motor.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Not sure they make a pole/shaft mount for the TR series.
    PS21-tr comes with a shaft mount and barrel mount.

20. Member
    I don't know how much help my experience will be on this. My TM is cable operated, foot control. The extra back and forth the PS21 requires isn't really noticable. Having used it so much it's not something that I have to think about, sort of second nature. I've not used the Terrova. I suppose if I had used those electrical controls just as much that the back and forth would be just as natural. I would expect the constant speed of the electric steer to be an advantage. In the heat of the moment, extra excitement over seeing fish, I do have to focus on not applying too much foot pressure and making myself have to do extra back and forth.

While I've used the PS21 and PS22 extensively, I wouldn't say the 22 has better imagery than the 21. It may, but it's not something that caught my attention. I've never used them at the same time, in the same circumstances. It does make sense to think that but it's certainly not a dramatic thing. At distances of 70 ft I see no difference at all. The wider cone is more dramatic at 30 ft and less, quite dramatic.

I'd say your decision would be more based on whether and how much use you would have for the DownVu Live. If it's not a factor, go with the 21. If it is, go with the 22. Gotta go. Fish are waiting. I'll check back tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast