Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Results of yesterday's testing

Recently added 4 inch spacers for a total of 10 inches of set back, removed the wedges, replaced the seastar steering cylinder with a uflex cylinder, added Allison's CMC upgrade kit. Was running a 29 pitch XOB with a full flare. Motor is 250 with 1.62 gears. 3/4 tank of fuel and my normal tournament load. Air temp was 50 degrees, didn't catch the water temp.

Learned 4 things, 1. The 21 foot boat was made for 10 inches of set back, even removing the wedges the 2 additional inches improved my hole shot, drive, and made the bow lift much more responsive. 2. The CMC upgrade kit takes the slop out of the plate, no more side to side movement. That's assuming your rollers aren't worn. 3. The uflex is tighter, stronger, more responsive, and doesn't have the spongy feel my seastar had. It turned effortlessly even at 90. I realized after several runs I hadn't even thought about the drive/steering. 4. I also tested a 22 pitch unvented bravo 1 I bought to pull my grandsons on a tube. As expected the hole shot was stupid good, and up to 60 mph it was serious fun. This blew my mind, I was able to run as low as 12 mph without any porpoise at all. Tucked the motor and ran the plate all the way down and it just settle in very stable, could not believe it. The 2 inches of additional setback made a huge difference on the bottom end. Able to stay on plane at 18, very stable.

Very pleased with the upgrades, well worth the time and money. I didn't get to stretch it due to cross wind gusts. The 1 time I did stand in it, it climbed through 91 fast and was still digging when a gust changed my direction.

Johnny Johnson

2. Member
    Great info sir. I’ll be going to 10” back soon. Going to check out that steering also. Did you have to change the helm?
    Carte's Custom

3. Member
    I tried a 24 unvented bravo and it was horrible for holeshot on my boat. Going to sell it and buy a 22 8 hole bravo xs and have it worked like my 26 bravo xs which holeshots great.

Where would one purchase 4” spacers? Allison direct or ?
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

4. Member
    Mark you can use your seastar helm and hoses. Direct bolt on. John you can buy the 4 inch spacers from Allison, they are a little more expensive but worth it I think. Mine are from T&H marine (the ones rated for 300 hp) and I ended up having to drill the Allison bolt pattern in them. Would have been a lot easier to buy them ready to bolt on from Allison.

Johnny Johnson

Thanks for the info Johnny. I may have to try that. Already switched to the Uflex and swapped the CMC for a Detwiler ... I think you can get a Detwiller with a 10" setback.
    I did not switch the helm . But might be before long as it has a been around the lake a time or two..

6. Member
    Hmmmmm.. 4" spacers may be coming to me then.. thx for the feedback..

7. Member
    The upgrade kit on the CMC helps tremendously but by design the plate is vulnerable to wear and then it's back to to the same ole crap. The ultimate fix is a different brand plate. I always like the detwiler, our Stroker brothers swear by them. I think they are seastar now though.

Johnny Johnson

8. BBC SPONSOR
    My boat loves 10" setback. I'll never go back to 8".
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

9. Member
    For the guys that don't know about Johnny's time in his 2+2, and who don't know what a XB21 can do with a 250, he has ran his boat 95 and I believe he will scare the snot out of triples if he chooses to go there. His boat is sweet as apple pie and the boy can drive.

10. Member
    What uflex steering parts? Thx

11. Member

Johnny Johnson

12. Member
    Thx Johnny.. check Facebook.. lol

So this is a direct bolt on system? And you feel tremendous improvements?

13. Member
    Yes it's a direct bolt on, and from my seastar yes big improvement. My seastar has felt weak and spongy since I got it.

Johnny Johnson

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Yes it's a direct bolt on, and from my seastar yes big improvement. My seastar has felt weak and spongy since I got it.
    That's exactly what I thought when i got my boat.. the steering is not nearly as good as i expected. Weak and spongy is a great description.. thx

15. Member
    These are a third of the price of the Allison plates but you do have to drill a couple of holes.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/4-fi...bracket-300hp/

16. Member
    Do you mind shareing thre Price of 4" Spacers ?? Tks

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Johnny, if you added the 4" spacer plates and removed the 1\2" wedges aren't you now at 9.5" setback? CMC is 5.5" plus 4" for set back plates? Unless you picked up an extra 1\2" somewhere?

And, I'm glad to hear you like the Uflex steering
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    Has anyone tried 12" of setback on an XB21?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Has anyone tried 12" of setback on an XB21?
    I know of one xb21 2 seater running 12" setback and so far they are not seeing any impovements.....yet
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

20. Member
    I paid 175 for mine, I welded a couples holes shut, drilled the Allison bolt pattern, and trimmed abo it 3/8 of an inch off the bottom, not necessary but I knew I was powder coating them and wanted a perfect fit.

Craig it is 9.5 inches of set back according to the math but to be honest I haven't measured it. Now I'm curious.

Johnny Johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast