175 ProXs warranty problems. Vibrations, fuel pressures help

Hello All,
    My name is Scott, I'm from Australia and I'm having continued warranty returns with my ProXs and it's driving me mad.
    2015 Model 175 ProXs
    Model number 1175P73EY
    Serial number 2B124853

I will try keep short as possible.
    Firstly ive always felt it was lacking a little top end power as just doesn't quite perform as I would expect.
    When I went to pick up the boat the mechanics had a lot of trouble starting the engine and said a fuel line had been crushed on assembly.
    At 13 hours it broke the tensioner spring broke. They replaced spring, pulley and belt.
    A month or so later the oil bottle fitting split at top of tank.
    since then I have noticed a horrible vibration and noise coming from the engine. The vibration is noticeable when the engine is out of gear or in gear. In gear more noticeable between 1200-3000rpm
    When driving around 2000-4600 rpm is where the noise is at its worst.
    The engine has had a total of four tensioner springs replaced, three belts, five sets of alternator bushes, oil bottle, new alternator, fuel pressure regulator and the vessel view replaced.
    They found the engine was low on fuel pressure changed the regulator and then decided it was okay if it was still low. Pressures are at 90 and 74-76 bouncing.
    The vessel view has always played up but now randomly goes to no comms even after the new one has been fitted.
    When my Simrad was connected they found it would play up more often, after disconnecting they couldn't make it fault. Of course as soon as I got up in revs it stopped working and for 3.5 hours it didn't start again. Numerous times I stopped turned off engine and tried to reboot. Later in morning I turned engine off for twenty minutes and then it fired up again.

My my concerns are bushes are starting to fail in 5 hours showing signs of melting.
    engine has been returned 15 times.
    Mercury until now say all within normal limits, they won't give me a diagnoses.

thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Engine is on a 5.65m fibreglass half cabin.
    it had a 2000 model saltwater series carby engine on it before replacement and was running a 14 x 23" prop.
    now running a 19" Enertia and maxing out at 5600

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hi Scott- Welcome to BBC!

That's quite a story... and I'm sorry to hear you've had such difficulties. Other than information or suggestions, we can't be of a lot of assistance to you in Australia (different dealer network over there).

One of the first things I see is that your engine falls subject to Service Bulletin 2017-005. Please confirm this has been done, as it is critical (and may, or may NOT be, related).

Also, the Air/Fuel Pressures MUST be correct. The pressures you indicated are NOT right- the engine will not run correctly at those pressures, and if the engine does not run properly, it may also vibrate excessively.

I would encourage you to look in the Engine Owner's Manual for contact information and contact Mercury Marine directly. They should be able to point you to a dealer in your country that can accurately address your concerns.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sorry for delay,
    the engine has been in for the compressor reed plate upgrade.
    Im about to look in the forums for the fuel pressures.
    in case I cannot find it can anyone help me as what the should be?

5. Member
    i have sent 30 emails directly to Mercury Marine Australia and they have inspected the engine several times And almost every time within two or three hours the engine has been returned again for another failure.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Air: 94 psi

Fuel: 108 psi

(For practical purposes, we call this 95/110).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor