Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Axiom vs. Helix/Solix

Guys,

I had Helix 10's on my previous boat and really liked them though not totally in love with them. Have Lowrance on my current rig and while the 2D is great, I'm sorry to the Lowrance guys but I don't care for their side imaging AT ALL vs Humminbird plus do not find them very user friendly.

Tons of opinions and results out there I know but general concensus seems to be L has better 2D, HB has better SI, and much debate on DI.

That said, I am starting to build my first actual new boat and will put either HB Helix, Solix or RM Axiom's on; 12" in all cases. Disregarding price differences and feature sets I have one specific question:

For anyone who has spent some serious time behind both Helix/Solix and the Axiom, what is your opinion on the shallow (2-12') Side Imaging between them?

I'm posting this question in both forums in hopes of valuable responses in both. I will tell you also I am currently leaning toward trying the Axiom.

Thanks guys!!!!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Haven't used a bird since 09, been Raymarine since 12.

No better customer service, or product support. Nothing is close to ease of use and setting it up as for the apps.

Size wise the Axiom 12 is much smaller than the others 12 because of the lack of keyboard and case size.

Updating is done over wifi if you have a concection, just log on and search for an update. Transfer sonar logs to and updated maps back to the unit via Navionics app on your phone.

Stablized Transducer keeps the bottom from looking like this ^^^^^^^^^ when you get a little chop.

One transducer to mount for all the views, no module now.

3. Member
    Thanks Hickory! Any comment specifically on the comparison of SV vs SI?

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Can't compare, I had like the 998 and 1198 and therre has been large movements since then.

You need to get with Curt and go out with the Pro he talked about and check them out for yourself. I wouldnt think much difference in them, They use the same basic technology. Its CS and turn over of models that wins me over with Raymarine.
    Raymarine doesnt come out with a new line up every other year. Now they just did, but this isnt the norm.

The C and E series that just ended cam out in 2012 and will be around for a while with support to boot. So unless you just want the Light House 3 folks will be good running the other units!!

5. Member
    Agree, those are exactly the reasons I am leaning toward Raymarine, just want to be as sure as I can to not regret it as there are a few folks who say they did, in BOTH directions. Since SI is my most important feature in terms of actual unit function I figure worthwhile to get as many opinions from you guys as possible.

Thanks!!!

6. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I have never personally owned Humminbird but I have some close friends that are running the MEGA. I started running Axioms last year after being s Lowrance guy my whole life. Raymarine is night and day from my Lowrance units as far as build, ease of use, and customer service. Now to the brutal truth, if you’re basing this solely on side imaging there is no doubt that the new MEGA from HB is clearer than any other side imaging I’ve ever seen. I would say Raymarine excels in every other category except side imaging. That being said, I’m very happy with my Axioms and will be sticking with them going forward

7. suzuka
    RdnckYnkee, does your Axiom have the 3D? if so, what are your thoughts. I started looking at a new unit with side imaging but know I'm considering 3D also.
    tks t

8. Member
    For the guys that learn how to use it, it will be fantastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I haven’t put much time into 3D yet but it seems like it will be a great tool once I get some more time on the water. It really helps you visualize the bottoms and how fish setup.

10. Member
    Exactly. It’s not a standalone solution, but rather another tool. Can be very useful to see and set up. The screenshots above are just quick examples. You can also run in “GPS” mode - unit will record and track up to 10 minutes. Allowing you to “scan” a point, pocket, channel swing or anything else and then manuveur the image to see it from all angles.

11. Member
    Jig34 are the above screen shots from your boat. If so what’s your best guess as to what the green and red dot are.

It's simple. Get an Axiom for 2d/di. Get a Bird for Si, and a Garmin for Panoptix. Hope this helps :)

13. Member
    Guys, I am doing a ride around with a local pro this Thursday to look at the Axiom hands on and will give you an honest report here as will likely be the deciding factor in my final decision. I can tell you I still lean toward the Axiom and here is why. I'm interested in how it helps my actual fishing. ASSUMING the Axiom gives me the same information regarding structure and cover as the Bird, I don't care if the picture is as pretty or not. IF IT DOES NOT then I may have to settle for a Bird but IF IT DOES, then its pretty much a no-brainer IMHO for the better warranty, longer support, better customer service, faster processing/response (this will be an even bigger issue with upgrades), more logical OS, etc. etc. etc. But if it don't den it don't, period.

We will be doing this ride-around on a lake I am familiar with and have spent some time graphing with a Bird and an HDS unit. If I see the same cover as the Bird, especially in those areas my HDS was not worth much, I'm not going to care if it sees 5 branches or 7 branches (the little ones, not the main ones of course), and I will be sold. IF NOT, then I'll likely have to stick with Birds for now, and will tell you. I am REALLY hoping it does as I think IF it does then the combination of being able to get a nice 3D lay of the land so to speak in addition to all the other features will be significant especially as the bite moves off shore.

I DO understand that the Bird MEGA produces the prettiest pictures of anything out there, that's a hands down in my opinion, and I am sure that can be important is some situations and/or for some anglers. In my experience there is a noticeable difference in the Bird vs. Lowrance in that Lowrance easily produces better 2D for me than a Bird and the Bird easily produces better SI/SV than the Lowrance for me. This is FOR ME, in terms of actually finding fish and/or fish holding cover and structure. It is also my firm opinion that dramatic variations in results have as much to do with US the user as the units themselves. That said, if I can sit in front of brand X (RM,L,HB,G) and produce equal or better RESULTS than I can with brand Y, then the rest is just good information and academic discussion.

Anyway, look for a very honest very straight forward review that will be MY opinion from MY experience FWIW in the very near future.

And most of all, thank you all for all the feedback!! Tight Lines my friends!

14. Member
    Screenshots not from my personal boat, but I was on the boat and took the screen shots. We were training in FL and on Mako 28’s. We were pushing buttons and adjusting units every which way.

That said, the dots are baitfish around the bridge in Destin Harbor. You can adjust the “dots” in a few ways

1. Rainbow (all colors) or single color
    2. Depth or intensity – colors or color shade varies by depth or intensity
    3. Sphere or Point – objects can show as sphere (bigger) or point (smaller)

RealVision 3D is a drawing of data gathered from Sonar, DownVision and SideVision. Since there isn’t a “3D beam” you really need DownVision and/or SideVision to fully interpret the information.
    Hope that helps, if not, replay and I’ll see if I can explain better.
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfarmer View Post
    Jig34 are the above screen shots from your boat. If so what’s your best guess as to what the green and red dot are.

15. Member
    Ok guys, my relatively brief version of my promised review:

IMPRESSED!

Yes, the Hummingbird, Mega at least, does have a prettier side image picture, period. BUT, based on actual on the water experience, I DO NOT believe it reveals ANYTHING the Axiom does not.
    That is based on HB at somewhat tweaked settings and RM full auto as it would come out of the box no less. If anything, while not as 'pretty' I felt like the target separation or the way the targets 'popped' was maybe even a tad superior.

On Down Image, I believe the Axiom is at least on par with the others; maybe prettier picture with HB mega, maybe better target identification with the Axiom; honestly couldn't tell you but simply put, equal footing for sure.

Interestingly, the 2D was AT LEAST as good as, and frankly I thought a touch better, than my Lowrance HDS3 which was already clearly superior to my prior Helix.

Mapping I thought was ahead of both in terms of actual usefulness. VERY responsive and fast, NAV sonar chart live was smooth, no lag, good color, etc. I did not get a chance to play with the various depth range shading options as I forgot so this is something I will ask about at least everything I did see in mapping was overall superior in my opinion to HB & L, even with equal NAV cards.

We were actually so productive at finding fish (on a VERY tough afternoon) that we spent a little more time actually catching fish than planned so we did not spend a lot of time on 3D. The little we did get to play with it was very impressive. It simply has no equal in its peers to my knowledge at this time. NO LAG, very responsive, with correct passes/route you could actually start to build a temporary3D map of the bottom. I can not WAIT to see how it continues to mature; it could possibly earn the term used so freely 'game changer'.

Now, OVERALL, I found the units to be very intuitive and user friendly, easy to understand and adjust, more responsive than anything out there, etc. Really, just overall taken as one complete unit, hands down the winner....... IMHO ;)

So now I combine all that info I gathered with what I already know about great response from folks like Jig34, longer factory warranty, longer support cycle and by accounts of others far superior customer service......dang!

Summary: I have used HB and Lowrance, really liked the SI I had on my HB and the 2D on my Lowrance; I am planning to get Raymarine Axioms for my next units, hands down with no hesitation. I don't feel like I will be giving up a thing and yet still gaining in almost every respect.

Happy to answer any questions that I can, with my currently limited knowledge. I also respect the opinion of others to disagree with me or simply have different preferences and priorities, but my own opinion based on my own actual water time on the same lake that I know fairly well with different electronics Axiom is the clear winner.

Headed to bed now and have a conference this weekend but will try to check in and respond to anything I can as soon as I get a chance.

Tight Lines BBC'ers!

16. Member
    Oh, one other quick note I remembered, testing sv we went by a few shallow docks to see if it would show the poles and brush under them clearly; was MUCH MUCH MUCH better than my lowrance and frankly don't think I saw that far (to the bank!) or that much detail even with my Helix!

again, simply, impressive

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    But did you catch any fish??

Nice review.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 02-09-2018 at 09:23 AM.

18. Member
    Yes Sir! 6.3lb, looks to be a giant buck as we thought for sure 'she' was about to go 8+ based on length and mouth.

That was off shore. we identified CLEARLY 3 big bass sitting on top of a ledge about 20' deep dropping off to about 27', positioned perfect. Went a little past, turned around and hit spot lock and nailed him about a dozen or so cast later when Tyler pointed out to me that I was casting a bit too far right of our target; that young man is a stick! Nice guy too. I believe I would have seen those fish on any other product out there as well. I also believe the clarity with which I saw them on the Axiom was a step above the rest.

Attached Images Attached Images

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Dang, that’s a nice fish!!
    Congrats!

So so how long did it take to muster thru and learn the menus on it compared to the other brands?

20. Member
    Frankly I did not operate them much, but as I am asking Tyler to change this that or the other to look at options and different views, etc. I found myself pointing to where and how to do it within minutes, it is the most intuitive interface I have dealt with to date by a HUGE margin.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast