Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djd View Post
    Jig34... I don't know why you find it necessary to insult me, especially since we've never met or talk and you are clearly referencing my 'lack of depth finder ability' ...LOL... For the record, I can tell the difference between a humpback whale and a shad ball... I just have to wait long enough for one of them to surface!

djd

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    How was the screen visibility with polarized glasses on? Could you see everything crystal clear without removing your shades?
    Sorry guys, I have been out of the loop for some time now so just getting back to some replies. I also don't have any images to share yet as my time on the water for the last few months has been virtually none due to medical issues at home. I think we have cleared a few hurdles at home now so hopefully you will start to see more posts from me. Here are some replies, comments, etc.

Ddog, good question as is a point I forgot to make. I was actually wearing my Costas at the time. And that reminds me of one of the first comments I made to Tyler when on that demo ride. I have no idea the how and why behind it but that IPS screen of the Axiom 12 is VASTLY superior to anything else I have seen with polarized glasses on, even at an angle! Honestly even the Axiom 9 currently on the bow of my current rig, seems noticeably better to me, especially in the sun, with or without my glasses. But the 12 with the IPS screen is unreal. I understand the Carbon has the same screen tech but I have never seen one so cannot honestly comment how it compares. But I can say 100% without question the ability to see what is on your graph, in the sun or at an angle with or without polarized shades, of the Axiom 12 vs Helix or HDS 3 is FAR superior; and to be fair I do expect that the Carbon would have similar results.... albeit for more $$$, shorter warranty, shorter support cycle, etc. ;)

I plan to actually make it back out on the water for some full days this week/weekend for the first time since April! I will see if I can get some screen shots to share. I will tell you my primary goal is building maps; I am able to build my own now, running 50+ on plane; given our next local tournament is on a lake with little available mapping I expect this to give me a distinct advantage, maybe even make up for my lack of fishing skills. :)

Again regarding images, for fine detail pretty and crisp images, for SS/SV/SI at least, the HB Mega is top dog. It is however my firm opinion that I do not see any more, if as much, in the way of fish, cover or structure. I only say 'if as much' because I believe the target separation on the Axiom units is without equal. Full disclosure, I have NOT run them physically side by side, and never will as I have sold everything else I had in favor of 100% Axiom.

Couple last thoughts: 1) guys commenting that all brands are quite good now, sometimes depends on the style of fishing, VERY often depends on the person and other variables, etc. etc. I think are absolutely correct. 2) All my observations regarding the awesome results I have seen on the Axiom, even compared to others at times, have been with default auto settings! So for those that are used to having to tweak settings on their units for hours upon hours, and change them trip after trip, and actually enjoy that more than the fishing......you might not like the Raymarine Axioms as much. ;)

Tight Lines Guys!

3. Member

Screenshots from Axiom 12

Here are some screenshots from today.

This is school os Stripers shown in DownVision and Sonar ...

This is one of those fish ...

More screenshots ...

This is a DownVision view of trees on top of an underwater bluff ...

4. Member

Recovering a downrigger in 50 feet of water.

These screenshots will require a little explanation. A friend of mine recently had a downrigger come loose and drop into the lake in about 50 feet of water. He did make a waypoint on his Solex when the unit fell in. He spent a total of five hours over two days and finally gave up. He assumed that the bottom was very soft and the downrigger had sunk into the mud. I asked him to text me the waypoint coordinate so I could take a look with my Axioms.

This morning about 10:00 am, I created a way point with his data and started looking. I have three Axioms on the boat. Axiom 9 and 12 at the helm and Axion 7 on the bow connected to the transducer in the MK Terrova trolling motor. Everything is connected through a network switch and there is also SeaTalkng Nema2000 network that allows the Axiom 12 to connect to the 200 Verado engine through the Smartcraft to NEMA 2000 Gateway.

I was using the screen of the Axiom 12 for DownVision and watching the map on the Axiom 9. I zoomed into the maps as tightly as possible and slowly moved the boat. The Axiom 12 screen was split vertically to start with with the right screen displaying DownVision in Auto range mode. The left screen displayed DownVision zoomed in as far as possible and aligned with the bottom. I moved the boat around slowly until a target appeared. This is the screenshot ...

The DownVision transducer has a fairly wide swath at 50 feet deep, so I switched the right screen on the Axiom 12 to Sonar. I slowly positioned the boat until the target appeared on the Sonar screen, then set a waypoint from the target on the Sonar screen. The location of the waypoint was very close to the original way point. The final step was to drop something to the bottom and try to snag something on the downrigger. I happen to keep an “Umbrella Rig Retreiver” in the boat which is a lead weight with a large treble hook, attached to a small rope. I was able to snag the downrigger (and 12 pound ball) and knew I was lifting either a downrigger or a big log! When the object arrived at the surface, the end of the boom had been snagged by the hook.

Here is the downrigger laying in the back of the boat ...

Here is a photo of the Umbrella Rig Retreiver that was used ...

It it took about ten minutes to actually locate the downrigger unit with the Axiom 12!
    Attached Images Attached Images

OUTSTANDING !!!!

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

Nice Aero.

8. Member
    great things can happen when you combine great equipment, AND the ability to use it!!
    well done

9. Member
    I have been a lifelong Lowrance user until recently and am just blown away with the capabilities of these Raymarine products. It actually starts when you first open the boxes. No doubt I will be adding a Mavic Pro drone to the arsenal shortly!

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
    I have been a lifelong Lowrance user until recently and am just blown away with the capabilities of these Raymarine products. It actually starts when you first open the boxes. No doubt I will be adding a Mavic Pro drone to the arsenal shortly!
    Don't take it to lake lanier, its not against the law just banned by the Corps of Engineers!! Here is the ruling
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...3-sec327-4.pdf

11. Member
    Here is a picture I took today with my Helix Mega, I made 1 adjustment to my down image and it was set for the day. You can see brush and fish in side view, down view and the 2d as well. Any Axiom to compare?

12. Member
    Crappie under a floating dock today, Helix Mega.

13. Member
    Crappie on a bridge piling today, Helix Mega

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

15. Member
    Is anyone using an axiom transducer on an ultrex? I haven’t seen one of the transducers, that are capable of producing 3D and side view, to know if the physical dimensions will allow it to be attached to the bottom of the trolling motor?

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I’m running the CPT-100DVS 0n my Ultrex, side vision will be skewed when turning the TM with the RV100, so if I want to look at side I just pull up an app with the side vision on it.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 07-22-2018 at 08:30 PM.

17. Member
    Good morning, does anyone have any comparison screenshots to compare Axiom to HB Mega. I posted some Mega shots yesterday. Surely someone has Axiom shots of docks, brush and bridge pilings with fish on them?

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Royt, if you go threw the forums you can see screen shots.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 07-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.

19. Member
    Hickory this post asked about comparing Axiom and HB Helix/Solix, I've supplied several shots from my Mega but have not seen anything close from Raymarine or Axiom.

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Hickory this post asked about comparing Axiom and HB Helix/Solix, I've supplied several shots from my Mega but have not seen anything close from Raymarine or Axiom.
    The post asked about side comparisons in 2-12 ft!

You threw up some pictures and ask for some Axiom, there some on here you can look at. If you like your images better then you made a good purchase for you.

As for side by side no one claims but TB to have used both side by side. Not sure just how many boats have both installed, but he can’t get screen shots for privacy reason, like it’s going to give any details of the boat or owner.

If your happy with your unit great!!
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 07-23-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast