Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop talk...Need Info...

I have a 1998 Xpress H51 with 90 hp Yamaha motor.
    Bought boat used, third owner.

Current prop is Stiletto 31315Y1315 with 9P90 stamped outside.
    Can someone tell me what I have, pitch 15 deg?

I can get 40 mph @ 5600rpms before it begins to porpoise, great hole shot, overall runs good, but will slide some on turns.
    Prop does need work, clean up on leading edge of blades.

I'm looking to replace with a Turbo 1, 17 deg. based on info I've read here.
    Any thoughts or comments welcomed.
    Thanks!
    Bulldog44
    Last edited by bulldog44; 01-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.

2. Member
    OK, lots of looks but no comments...
    What I've deciphered so far ... Yamaha site, plugged in info for prop selection and it calls for 15 deg. pitch prop for WOT @ 5500 rpms. Gave it 5700 rpms and 15 or 17 would be good. Can't really say what my WOT is exactly, porpoising stops me at 5600-5700 rpms @ 39-41 mph (gps).
    Ran into fellow Xpress owner at lake Sunday evening, same setup as I, but for 2003 model vs mine is 1998. He was running a Powertech prop, 17 deg., said he gets 45-47 mph...not sure if that's gps speed or not. He said hole shot is great, boat handles great, no porpoising problem. Looking at his prop, blades had a lot of cup.
    Had contact with boat mechanic, he knew some on props, he said 19 deg. would be what I need run it @ 5600 rpms, max it only to 5800 rpms.

Powertech or Turbo 1, either @ 17 deg.?

3. Member
    Maybe we can help each other here.

I have a 2018 H17 with 90 hp 4 stroke Yamaha (still breaking it in). It came with a 17" pitch Powertech prop. My tach is off so will need it replaced. Speedo shows 50 mph at WOT but only 4000 rpms. Now I know the tach and speedo are both off just one high and the other low. Don't have a GPS so do not know true speed.

I have read that Powertech prop pitch is "stiff" meaning the pitch is closer to 18" than 17". Maybe just an Internet rumor.

Have also read that the Turbo 1 and Raker offer the best performance on our boats/engines. I would like to try a 19" Turbo and an 18" Raker when I get my tach replaced to see if they perform better than my current prop.

Everyone who is willing to offer advice here is running a 19 to 22 foot Xpress and a 150-250 hp outboard so not much info for us 90-115 hp guys.

4. Member
    The porpising is because your prop's loosing bite. The 9p90 should be a code so whoever worked your prop previously knows what they done to it. I had a 4 blade prop that would feel like it was sliding & then jump sideways every time I trimmed up & it tried( notice i said tried lol) to get on pad & cured that with a jackplate & a 24 pitch turbo on a 98 h-56 with 135 mariner that i owned for a few years. Xpress boats like a lot of setback & they need a jackplate big enough to get the motor back far enough to achieve it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Maybe we can help each other here.

I have a 2018 H17 with 90 hp 4 stroke Yamaha (still breaking it in). It came with a 17" pitch Powertech prop. My tach is off so will need it replaced. Speedo shows 50 mph at WOT but only 4000 rpms. Now I know the tach and speedo are both off just one high and the other low. Don't have a GPS so do not know true speed.

I have read that Powertech prop pitch is "stiff" meaning the pitch is closer to 18" than 17". Maybe just an Internet rumor.

Have also read that the Turbo 1 and Raker offer the best performance on our boats/engines. I would like to try a 19" Turbo and an 18" Raker when I get my tach replaced to see if they perform better than my current prop.

Everyone who is willing to offer advice here is running a 19 to 22 foot Xpress and a 150-250 hp outboard so not much info for us 90-115 hp guys.
    You definitley need to fix your tach before throwing money at props. I have read many times that powertechs are pretty much junk on an xpress. Ask in the props forum & you will get a good idea of what prop you need if nobody here has experience with running a setup like yours.

6. Member
    I have a H-51 with a 115 pro sx and it start to porpoise when I trim up just a little. I can power through it but when it gets up on pad it wants to pull to the side. Sometimes right sometimes left. I put a 10" jack plate and still same outcome with a 21 pitch 4 blade. If I could get it to ride on the pad it would run like a scolded dog. I even had trim tabs welded on back and still the same. If you figure it out please let me know. Maybe I need more cup in my prop.

7. Member
    Oh ya and I forgot that I added a SE sport 300 hydro fin. Didn't like putting that on my motor but it has been the best thing that I have done. Allowed me to trim up enough to steer it easier and run to about 5000 rpm and gps at 53 mph.

8. Member
    Find you a Turbo 1 17pitch, 10” jackplate, and set pad to prop at 3 1/2”-4”. Should be about as good as it’s going to get.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JigALow View Post
    Find you a Turbo 1 17pitch, 10” jackplate, and set pad to prop at 3 1/2”-4”. Should be about as good as it’s going to get.
    Thank you for both the prop recommendation and the prop to pad measurements.

10. Member
    I have a 2017 H18 with a 115 Sho, I've played around with it a ton and ended up (for now :)) with a Yamaha Pro 21P prop, 6 inch jack plate with the motor set at 3.5" pad to prop. I'm getting about 53mph with all my gear at 6200 rpm. The Sho engines have a WOT rating up to 6300, so yours maybe lower for sure. I would say that by far the biggest difference in performance has come not from prop pitch as much as engine height pad to prop. I had mine set at about 4 to start and it was sluggish... I ran it around 3.25" and it would start slipping before I could trim it out to 70%... 3.5" seems to be the magic number. The yamaha pro props have been recommended by many on this forum, it has performed well for me.

11. Member
    Ordered a Turbo 1, 17 pitch...hopefully it will be in this week..
    I'll give a full report on difference between it and my existing prop.
    Bulldog44
    Last edited by bulldog44; 02-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpress4Sho View Post
    I have a 2017 H18 with a 115 Sho, I've played around with it a ton and ended up (for now :)) with a Yamaha Pro 21P prop, 6 inch jack plate with the motor set at 3.5" pad to prop. I'm getting about 53mph with all my gear at 6200 rpm. The Sho engines have a WOT rating up to 6300, so yours maybe lower for sure. I would say that by far the biggest difference in performance has come not from prop pitch as much as engine height pad to prop. I had mine set at about 4 to start and it was sluggish... I ran it around 3.25" and it would start slipping before I could trim it out to 70%... 3.5" seems to be the magic number. The yamaha pro props have been recommended by many on this forum, it has performed well for me.
    That is good to read! I just got a 6” Atlas for my H18bay with the same outboard. I currently have the not so great power tech PTR 19 pitch prop. Hopefully I can get things dialed in.

13. Member
    Prop and Kits came in last night...I had ordered Prop, Hub Kit and Prop Nut & Spacer Kit (per tech support)...
    Looking at YouTube video from Yamaha, it appears the Prop Nut & Spacer Kit was not needed if I just re-use the Prop nut.
    Is there any reason to keep the PN&S kit? For use if I wanted to reinstall the original Stiletto Prop?
    Bulldog44...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    You definitley need to fix your tach before throwing money at props. I have read many times that powertechs are pretty much junk on an xpress. Ask in the props forum & you will get a good idea of what prop you need if nobody here has experience with running a setup like yours.
    I checked my tach and it was set at (6) on the back and should have been (5) for a Yamaha. Turned 6300 with the 17" pitch PowerTech. Dealer exchanged it for a 19" pitch and now turns 5900.

Next step is to install 6" setback jackplate and start with prop to pad 3.5" below and fine tune from there.

Thank you to all who have been helpful. Much appreciated.

15. Member
    I would be very curious about this new prop coming from power tech. The yamaha Pro that is recommend is very hard to find.
    This is supposed to be a copy of it coming sometime this year. I have emailed them about it for more details.
    http://www.ptprop.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=46

16. Member
    I just put a spitfire X7 on my 2015 Tracker Pro Guide 175 WT with a 115hp Mercury 4s. It is a 13x 17p got 5800 rpms at 48 mph in very choppy water. I was having handling problems at WOT with my Black Max 13.25x17p. New prop gave me a new world handles better an increased top end. Only had it 2 days but when weather is betterI will know more. Jaco's Marine has a great price on them.
    2015 Tracker Pro Guide 175 WT
    Mercury 115hp 4s, 13x17p Spitfire X7

17. Member
    Three weeks I've had this new prop and have not been able to test it...Rain, Rain, Rain ...
    Hopefully I can get out this Sat. and give it a work out and see how much improvement over from what I had.

18. Member
    I know you already bought a prop ....... but just as FYI of extra knowledge. When I had 2 different 16' hyperlifts (1650HJ and a H50), I ran a Yamaha 75 and a 90 on both boats. 17" Trophy Plus was my best all around prop that solved most of what ailed it. Raker with a modified hub change to fit Yamaha was my fastest (the best I can remember, especially on my 1650HJ). I do remember that my Trophy was only a few MPH slower, but not enough to cuss a cat. I remember my H50 (heavier than the 1650HJ) liked the Trophy the best, mainly due to the added weight. My H50 was fussy about porpoising ....... but my Trophy Plus solved that.

Good Luck!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

19. Member
    I did think about 4 blade, but for now going with 3 blade.
    Original prop was 15 pitch, upped it to a 17 pitch with this new prop, but wondering if anyone used a 19 or 21 pitch on a setup like mine?
    Hole shot with those? Speed increase?
    Blazing speed is not what I am looking for (wife likes to go slower) but I could go to 40 mph (if needed) with the 15, but it was hard to stay at that...Hopefully this new prop @ 17 will allow me get to 40 easier and maintain that speed... Anything over 40 is just lagniappe. ;-)
    RPM's should be less with the 17, which I hope translates to better MPG.

20. Member
    Finally got to the lake to test the new prop. RPMs are a lot lower, old prop 5000 rpms=35 MPH, new prop, 4400 RPMs=35 MPH.
    Never got over 5000 RPMs, got close, and could get to 39 MPH...Lake was rough, head wind, and boats everywhere making extra chop...Also had the most gas in my tank ever, 7/8 full or real close to that. Hole shot was slower, but acceptable. Boat seemed more stable, and no hopping when I could get it to WOT today...Not the best day for testing, but it is the first Sat. with no rain and full sunshine!
    ALSO, never got splash line past my seat, but could tell on a better day I may be able to go way past it.

The old prop has great hole shot, and marked 15 pitch...almost makes me believe it may have been tweeked to 13 pitch...WOT was 5500 and hard to keep at 40 once I got there, and some days it would act up and blow out to 6000 RPM and not go over 35 MPH. It did need blades cleaned up, as they were chewed up some.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast