Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just noticed this thread. If that prop doesnt wirk out try a 17 pitch trophy plus. Tried several on my boat and the trophy is by far the best.Great holeshot, gets the boat up out of the water, handles like its on rails and much better fuel mileage than the 17 powertech it came with.

2008 H51 with 90 Yamaha 2 stroke.

2. Member
    Did you solve your issues? Change prop? Curious due to being on my
    second H51. Thanks.

3. Member
    I would say it's a lot better...no porpoising so far, handles turns better, I have two cruising speeds that I like to run at, 28 mph (running the creek channel), and 35 mph (open water). Boat holds bow up nice at those two speeds and handles and turns great. Hole shot is good, but not as quick as the 15 pitch was.

Weather has kept me off the lake to see what speed @ WOT would be. I've managed to push my splash line back slightly behind my seat. Best was 38 mph@ 4900 rpms, but I had some throttle/trimming left and was running a full tank of gas and had heavy swells on the lake that day. I am looking forward to see if I can get it up on the pad like the Xpress brochures show. WOT before was 40-41 mph @ 5500-5600 rpms, splash line at my seat, anything over that Id lose lift and would porpoise. Old prop would slip on me at times which was frustrating, but it needs some clean up on the edges of he blades, I plan to get it fixed for a backup prop.

Only issue I have is the lower RPMs, 500-600 less than before...according to the prop selector on the Yamaha site, I should be able to get to 5400 rpms @ WOT. Running at these lower rpms should give me better MPG, and the operating range is 4500-5500 rpms, so I assume I am not hurting anything. If I need to increase rpms, I can raise to motor up one hole as long as I have good water pressure (have not measured pad to prop distance yet).
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

4. Member
    Purchased my first boat 24 years ago. A used 15' Tidecraft Spitfire with a 88 hp Evinrude. Previous owner had installed a hydrofoil. This boat jumped on plane, handled very well, stayed on plane at slower speeds, etc. I sold it a few years ago and purchased a 2001 Xpress H51 with a 90hp Yamaha. I immediately installed a hydrofoil and boat performed well. No problems with porpoising as some have mentioned with this particular boat. Recently sold that boat and purchased a 2006 Xpress H51 with a 90hp Yamaha. It has a 6 inch manual jack plate. I've owned it for about a year and my understanding would be that a hydrofoil would be useless due to having the jack plate. I have adjusted the jack plate several times to optimize performance as research suggested. This boat does not handle as well as my two previous boats. I researched the benefits of jack plates and hydrofoils and have concluded that although they share some benefits but not all. I'm no expert and this is my situation with this particular boat. I know some think hydrofoils are useless, whale tales, dolphin fins, etc. I was considering removing the jack plate and installing a hydrofoil but realized I could just keep the jack plate and install a hydrofoil and possibly receive the benefits from both.

5. Member
    Bulldog44, this is from a post I submitted in another forum.
    Both my H51's had Powertech 17 pitch props. You now have a Turbo 1 17 pitch
    and like you, I researched and determined this is one of the best props for the H51's.
    Pretty much everyone suggests installing a jack plate to optimize performance.
    I'm in the process of installing a SE 300 hydrofoil on mine now. My previous H51
    had one with Powertech 17 pitch prop, no jack plate and handled really well. Hole shot, around
    47 mph and could cruise at lower speeds and no porpoising.
    Last edited by Kerusm; 03-22-2018 at 01:21 PM.

6. Member
    Forgot to mention, I have a Stingray Hydrofoil Boat Stabilizer on mine, previous owner had it installed.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

7. Member
    The spitfire X7 is made for the smaller engines and will give you better performance. The X7 alloy they tell you about is definitely tuff also. I let my son drive last week and he ran up on a log ( biggest one I have ever ran up on) not even a scratch. When the say stronger than stainless they mean it. It is also lighter than the trophy plus equivalent . Which is one of the reasons it is great for the 115hp on down. If you can find someone to let you try it I bet you would be impressed/
    2015 Tracker Pro Guide 175 WT
    Mercury 115hp 4s, 13x17p Spitfire X7

8. Member
    Might want to try before you buy a Spitfire X7. The H51 is a Hyperlift hull which requires bow lift and I have been advised that the Spitfire provides stern lift and works better on mod v or flatter hulls.

Others with first hand experience chime in.

I have also been advised not to run an X7 on a hyperlift hull. Tracker hulls are wsy different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12