Kinda slow here.

Everyone hibernating ??

I had posted about the pad difference and changing planer lengths and designs since my 21 was built and if it could have a difference with several things including how some boats would porpoise and some did not.
    After ordering a cavitation foil and doing some testing, here are a few things I found.. With a worked 30 promax (ring added no PVS) without foil with trim all down it would porpoise starting at below 23 mph . After foil- porpoise is totally gone - it will stay on plane at 16 mph. Did not time them but hole shot is much faster and will come out with way less throttle.
    Have not got to run in what I consider (survival mode) but seems to perform fine in the rough water I have encountered so far...

I forgot to tell you I gave this a whirl the other day. I ran 15 for miles with the foil on and no porpoise. I could get the boat to porpoise, but I had to over trim for the speed to do it. Hopefully survival mode works well for you. I haven’t had an issue yet, but I think I call it when I see water as bad as you go out in.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. BBC SPONSOR
    The foil works great, just don't try it with an X-O/B
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    What does or doesn't it do with a X-OB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    The foil works great, just don't try it with an X-O/B

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I forgot to tell you I gave this a whirl the other day. I ran 15 for miles with the foil on and no porpoise. I could get the boat to porpoise, but I had to over trim for the speed to do it. Hopefully survival mode works well for you. I haven’t had an issue yet, but I think I call it when I see water as bad as you go out in.
    Geoff; if I remember correctly you did some mods to your foil.. Did it help whatever you were looking to change ?

Yes please tell.. inquiring minds need to know..

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I believe it's the way the water comes off the flare, hits the foil, and causes drag. I lost 7 mph by adding a foil on my xb21 and running the same 29 xob. My handling also went to crap. Without the foil my 29 xob was running 98 solo loaded to fish and with the foil and no other changes it would barely run 91 and was a handful. I removed the foil and everything was back to normal.

This was all at 8" setback plus 1/2" wedge at even with pad, I have not tried it since going 10" back at ability to run at 1" above.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Different layout but 30 promax with a foil i can maintain 16/17 with no porpoise. I have ran with no blowout ring all holes plugged with solids till recently, now testing with blowout ring and 2 solids and 2 large holes! Prop is getting some special love at the moment and who knows what will be the next setup I try lol.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

The only difference between my lower unit foil and others is mine isn't bent down on the outside edges. I was worried about water catching it based off of Tim's experience so when I made it I never bent it.

The other foil I'm running is a version of the Bailey foil. I have not seen it make a difference yet, but I'm not giving up on it. First test was way too deep and I couldn't run over 85 safely (didn't seem to help either). The current version I'm worried isn't deep enough. Its basically like a plate under the jackplate. I bought a lenco actuator like Bailey runs to drive it up and down and push it deep. Since we don't have as much setback as Strokers packaging is different. Given I'm 900 miles away from my boat testing is slow. I designed it to replace the ladders on the back of the boat as well. The "Prosport" logo cut in it is the step up into the boat. For this reason I'm keeping it even if I don't see a performance pick up from it. Kids need an easier way to get in the boat. The all aboard ladders were difficult for them to use.

I will be down this weekend, but I have 5 new props to run so I'm not even going to look at it. Not to mention Jay has been on the hogs so I have to dip a line as well.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Thanks Geoff -- Looks great . Hope the hogs are still feeding when you get there.

10. Member
    Has anyone tried 12" setback on the XB21?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Has anyone tried 12" setback on the XB21?
    I meant to put this in the other thread.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I meant to put this in the other thread.
    I replied to your question in the other thread.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X