Thread: Cold start

Cold start

Hey guys. I recently bought my first bassboat. 2001 Javelin Renegade 19 with Carbed 150HP johnson. ( not a fast strike or Ficht). And i dont want to mess anything up so im curious what the cold start procedure is for my boat/motor. It DOES have Hot Foot. Any input will appreciated. Thank you. Hope this isnt a dumb question but again im new to it and do not want to mess anything up.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. Member
    Prime the bulb to firm, turn the key to on position, push the key in for a few seconds, start her up. Should run in high idle for a bit then kick down to about 600 RPM's. Make sure you are good and warmed up, maybe 10 minutes, before you hammer down on it. Make sure you idle to cool it off after a wide open run.

3. Member
    Will i probably have to give it gas with the hot foot to get it start cold?
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

4. Member
    No, don't put your foot on the hot foot during start up. I have your same motor in a 2004 model. Assuming all is well and properly adjusted with throttle linkage and timing, just prime the ball, turn the key and press in, and start it.

5. Member
    Ok. Well hopefully all is as its suppoae to be. Again i just bought the boat and ive not yet had it to the lake. But i am chomping at the bit to do so. Thank you for your feed back.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

6. Member
    I’ll say this, they are bullet proof motors. Hopefully you did a compression check. Replace plugs and thermostats and lower unit oil. They love drinking fuel, but mine has been flawless with regular annual maintenance.

If you have been trailering it, first trim the motor down level before trying to start it.

8. Member
    I have had it stored in my garage with the motor level.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

There is a starting procedure for a carburetor motor. I know it but it is for a motor that does not have a hot foot. Having a hot foot is not the issue it is having a way to operate at fast idle. I am not for sure if having a fast idle lever on the gearshift is still operational when you go to a hot foot, hence the reason I question how to control fast idle. You mentioned a hot foot so I must ask do you have a fast idle lever on the gearshift that is operational. If the answer is yes you have a functional fast idle lever at the gearshift then I know the full procedure. Most of it has has been posted but a few details have been left off.
    Last edited by JR19; 02-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.

10. Member
    I do NOt have a fast Idle lever. But isnt the button that u puch down near the bottom of the shift and then able to move shifter. That may not be operational since i have hot foot i dnt know. Like i said im am new to bassboats and hotfoot. And have not yet had break in weather to get it out to get used to it.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Assuming you have a 01 Johnson as your signature indicates you have the OIS ignition system. This makes cold starting easier and you will not have the fast idle lever as mentioned above. Just prime the ball, turn the key and press in hold for count of 2, and start it. repeat if doesnt start first time. It will idle at a higher RPM till motor comes to operating temperature then motor will kick down as mentioned above to 600 or so.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I only know it for an older motor that did not have a hotfoot and had a fast idle lever. I would say Buccaneer and KandK gave good advice...only thing I will add is at the very first cold start trim the motor level first before you do anything. Reason for this is sometimes on carburetor motors fuel bowls will drain when the motor is stored tilted in the up position for long periods such as overnight or several days. If you start and run then start it back a couple hours latter they do not drain but when you store them tilted from one trip to the next the fuel bowls can drain, hence the reason to trim level and prime the bulb on the very first start of the day.

13. Member
    Thank you very much guys. You have given me alot to go on my trip whenever that will be. And JR19 they should start paying you for all your knowledge and advice. Thank you for your input.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Some say I am full of chit and some say it's knowledge The truth is read a lot about bass boats and boat motors and try to remember as many of the small details as I can. Most of the time I get very detailed when I explain things so I may come off as a know it all and that is not my intent. I like to think I am very humble and willing to help a brother out. Thanks for the kind words

15. Member
    No problem buddy. Thank you for your help.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Have a HOt fully Charged Battery also, the carb Johnsons take a lot of juice to crank and spin the flywheel. And you may have to squeeze the Prime Bulb before each restart after sitting and fishing etc.. Nature of the Beast any other start problmes, make sure kill switch key is in place and not worn down, worn down I had a issue, and finally got a new one..