Thread: Oil fill level

Oil fill level

1C505489

Got another boat with a new 3cyl 40hp/4 stroke the manual says to fill oil to top mark on dipstick would it be a good practice to fill 1/2- 3/4 full on the dipstick like I do for my(1B947225) 150 3.0 litre 4 stroke?

Personally, i try to follow the book as close as possible. Maybe don will have some insight on that particular model.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When changing oil, it is best to set the oil level between 1/4 and 1/3 on the stick.

Don't want it LOW (out of the safe zone), and don't want it HIGH either (at or above top of zone).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Am following this as I am to get the exact same outboard in hopefully aa couple of weeks.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.