Help with 12/24 trolling motor wiring

I've got a 98' Hydra-Sport 205 that had been sitting for 12 years. When parked it was in immaculate condition. Everything worked fine. I pick the boat up last summer and getting it ready for my sons high school bass fishing season. It had an old OMC trolling motor on it. (12/24 system) I'm trying to hook up an older MinnKota 70# unit on it. The trolling motor is in good shape and I have used it before. However, the boat was rigged with a 4 pin outlet. The motor had a 3 pin connector. So, I put a new 4 pin connector on the motor and now I'm working on the boat side.

In the rear of the boat. I have two black and two red battery cables. One cable has written on the Heat shrink batt2 Negative down further there is a peice of tap with "#1" labeled. Likewise, the other cable has batt#2 and a tape label with "#1" written on it. I assume this means batt1 Negative goes on Batt 1 Negative. Same for batt2.

what do these labels mean?

But when I plug up the trolling motor I blow my fuse instantly. I assume that I wired the three pin connector wrong. But, I'm not sure.

why does this tape have the #1 and #2 wrapped in tape on opposite wires?

Dont forget to add an appropriately rated breaker/fuse, make sure you have the proper battery cable that is rated for the amp draw going to the TM also

is this what you were looking for?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kzaker; 01-26-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

3. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 01-31-2018 at 07:47 PM.

4. Member
    Have you got the TM working? Is the trolling motor a 24V or a 12/24V?
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax