Thread: PII vs. Classic

PII vs. Classic

Hey Guys,

Looking for your expertise. I am planning on ordering a new rig later this year or next and have not been to see a dealer, yet. Hoping to be prepared without $ in the equation at this point. Both boats are similar on paper, but I have not been in the new Classic. I am less concerned about deck layout, I can adjust. My inquiry is mostly about performance, setup, and needs. Fishing regional tournaments throughout the NE, for what its worth, so it will see various distances and water. I hope to keep the price tag around 60k, if possible, or I'd be ordering an Eyra.

Essentials I plan to have:
    200 Yamaha SHO
    Hydraulic Jack Plate
    Twin 8' Power Poles
    Hot Foot
    2, 10" units
    80lb Trolling Motor
    Vent System, Lit Compartments, Alarm
    Upgraded Gauges
    Tandem Axle Trailer

That said...My Questions:
    1. With a 4 Stroke is an extra 10 gallon fuel tank necessary with about 75 mile round trip on tourny days? Is it really worth the weight and space?
    2. Which 1 will handle better when it gets rough? Assuming the driver knows what they are doing and propped adequately.
    3. Battery System... 24, 36? Cranking?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Pete

2. Member
    I can't answer all your questions but I can provide some info.
    Here is a link to s nice article and video. It is a 70+ MPH boat and you'll not need a bigger tank due to efficiency with the SHO. Note the fuel consumption with the Pro XS 200 is 4mpg at 60+

https://www.boatingmag.com/bass-cat-pantera-classic

The classic is standard with tandem axle trailer. So there is that savings.
    Performance in the rough should be very close. The Classic is a bit longer.
    If you will be in current or high winds and rough water the 36v may be important.
    Should that not be the case, go 24v. I have never once wished I had 36v on my Cougar.
    Cost wise in short and long term is better with 24v. For starter and running poles and big screens, get a 31 series AGM. Heavy but powerful. Ask for upgraded wiring harness to the dash and bow for big graphs.

Your price range is well up there. You can get a decently equipped Classic mid forties.
    Into the high 40s would have a nicely equipped. If I can get a new rig in the next 5 years it will be a Classic.

Just as a reference on a Cougar see below.

The Cougar SP very equipped is 60k on the special.
    https://www.basscat.com/boats/page/2/cougar-advantage
    Last edited by BassCatDan; 01-25-2018 at 08:34 PM.

If my budget was $60k and I had a big enough garage I'd definately grab the Cougar Special edition package...prob some good deals out there on 2017s...

I like the Classic, but there are a few things I wasn't crazy about...livewell/aerator system is a stripped down version and I'm spoiled by my pump in/out and spray bars, no compartment lights, and I'm not a big fan of the plain white interior. I totally get why those things are the way they are to bring the price down, but I'm definately spoiled by the bling of my Advantage Elite package. But man, its a killer rig for the money. Saw one with nice big graphs for around $45k at a show a few weeks ago...
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

I had a P2 and rode in the classic on table rock. I'd get the new classic if I were in that market. I think the new hull rides better and I like the bigger front deck for fishing. The P2 is an awesome rig but if you're going to be fishing Champlain much I'd go classic with 200 esp with two poles. 60K should get you just about anything you'd want on those two rigs as well.

5. Member
    Thanks Guys for the insight so far. I have the garage space to get a bigger boat in, but it will have to be at an angle and occupying both bays. Which kicks the wife's car out, she's not going to be fond of that. I am considering pre-owned if I could find something less than 2 years old with low hours, put together how I'd like. I've been keeping a close eye. The other problem is most of the BassCats that come up for sale are at least a 10-15 hr drive from me. The closest Cat dealer is 2.5 hrs which I'm ok with. Yes, I will be on some big water Champlain, Oneida, Chesapeake etc. I realize either 1 won't handle like a 20'+ Cats when it gets rough. I was blown away how well the Cougars I have run when Champlain is at its worst. The Classic is so tempting for the $, but I want a lot of the extras and customizing that the Classic might not have. It might just come down to pricing both and see how big a difference the price is. I have not run either 1, so that's what inspired the thread, hoping 1 was that much better for the size. Thanks again

I have a PII and if I was buying new BETWEEN THOSE TWO I would go with the Classic for the extra length and bit bigger front deck.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    Caracal

8. Member
    Definitely Caracal with that Budget

9. Member
    In view of the fact that you are a tournament fisherman, livewell operation is a consideration for you. The P2 has a Pro Air system, an excellent one. The Classic has a more rudimentary livewell set up, and I don’t believe you can upgrade it to Pro Air.

I have a P2, and my next boat will be a Classic, simply because of the bigger deck. Livewell system is not important to me as I don’t fish tournaments.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Was at the chicago land fishing show last night and got to spend some quality time around a caracal, man what a boat that is. I love my margay and it has everything I want but that caracal is just another league of boat. I crawled around the classic at sherms and it is a nice boat but feels more like my margay more entry level. I would say if you fish big water tournements and can squeeze the caracal in that would be the route I go.

11. Member
    I have thought about the Caracal. Just thought the price on them would hit 65k+ with most of the bells and whistles. I've not been in 1 but heard how great they are for a sub 20' boat that handle the big water great.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    I have thought about the Caracal. Just thought the price on them would hit 65k+ with most of the bells and whistles. I've not been in 1 but heard how great they are for a sub 20' boat that handle the big water great.
    If your thinking about the Caracal, I have seen them used and new, LOADED for well under your price range. Overall, I feel you would be most satisfied with the Caracal.
    Premium 19 footer from 45K-55K.
    The Classic is a fine machine, but built more along the lines of the Margay as mentioned above. Vision series.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Both Panteras are sweet looking boats. But if you have 60 Gs to play with go with a Caracal or as mentioned Cougar SP

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaFox76 View Post
    Definitely Caracal with that Budget
    If you shop around with 60K, you can get a Caracal well equipped.