Thread: Kayaks

Kayaks

I am ignorant as far as kayaks are concerned, but would like to have one. Got a neighbor selling a Swing yak. They want me to make offer and i have not an idea.

Looks to be in pretty good shape. 1 person. Any help would be great.

I looked those up and they are inflatable. They start at $600.00. Might be a handy thing to have in the car for spur-of-the-moment yak outings, if you're willing to go through the trouble of inflating it every time.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

3. Member
    This one is a normal yak, fiberglass i think.

They are a life changer. Find out the model, retail price, etc and see if you can get a sweet deal. That way you can try out this sport before you sink a bunch of money into it.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

5. Member
    It is a Swing Perfection one person. great shape.

Perception. Great kayaks. Every yak I've owned (4) have been Perceptions. I absolutely love the one I have now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

7. Member
    Thanks for the response, what should i offer the person. It is used but appears to be in good shape.

8. Member
    What do you plan to do with it?? Are you just touring around for fun or do you plan to do some fishing?
    There are two different types - SIT IN kayaks and SIT ON TOP kayaks.

We used to own (Sit in) Emotion Glide kayaks 9.5’ for touring. We yak’d on our local lakes, rivers, and creeks. Quality built....Maneauver nicely and can be quick, lightweight. But once we caught the fishing bug - they’re not ideal to fish out of simply becuase there’s no real good storage soluations for all the gear you’ll need for fishing.

We stepped up to FeelFree Lure 11.5 kayaks - purpose built fishing kayaks. There are wide, long, and heavy (75lbs) but you can STAND UP and fish out of them. Lots of storage and purpose built for fishing. Lots of accessories available. We installed a fish finder in it. There are ‘pedal drives’ available along with - you can add a trolling motor too (if that’s your game plan).

After only one season of fishing in these yaks - we realized.....our old age doesn’t enjoy paddling too much. Takes a lot of paddling to get to remote areas, and fighting the river currents was a bit brutal. So.....we sold those and bought a BOAT!! LOL

You can easily paddle around with it and get familiar with the water (that’s most important). Once you learn the water..... and build confidence..... you can always upgrade to something else later. Kayaks always sell (around here anyway). Wear your life vest!

As for $$ - search around online and see what others are going for. How much do you want it?

9. Member
    Got 2 local small rivers with not much current would be fun with a yak. It is a sit in and i did check around but cannot find any used swing perceptions in this area so i could make offer that is fair. I certainly dont think i will wear it out but i could see a few trips a yr.

Perceptions are a well made, but affordable yak, that's why I like them. I don't think they make the Swing anymore, its not on their website. The google images I pulled up showed it as a SOT and rigged for fishing. I'd offer 100-200 bucks.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

11. Member
    Well, i tossed a 200 offer and they said NO. So i will probably let it move on.

I have one, my first kayak. Light, quick little yak. Decently stable on a calm day but not the easiest to stand in. Not really set up to fish but I'm rigging it as a second yak if someone wants to come with me sometime. I would have passed on the 200 offer as well.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw62 View Post
    Well, i tossed a 200 offer and they said NO. So i will probably let it move on.
    Better go on Austinkayak.com and do some looking. You're bound to find one you like on that site. Then go look for a used one on CList if you don't want to spend the list price.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

This weekend I saw some deals on steepandcheap.com on some good kayaks. Of course you're going to be spending more than 200 but still good deals.

Here's a link. Had other boats Saturday so their stock rotates. https://www.steepandcheap.com/fishing-kayaks
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

15. Member
    Hey thanks.