Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I've caught a lot of bass on the original Z-man chatterbait, mostly in the 2-4 lb range and an occasional 5 -5 1/2 lber and never had a snap pull open or a hook break, so I have not seen any point in paying $16 for a jackhammer.

I have used several types of plastic trailers, but have had the best results with a Lake Fork magic shad.
    Last edited by Cliffprocraft190; 02-05-2018 at 09:41 PM.

2. Member
    Elite Zmans use Gamakatsu hooks🎣

+1 on the Tacklewarehouse Custom and Lake fork Tackle Magic Shad.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

4. Member
    The elite Zmans do have a good hook. On the TW picture, the eye of the jig looks a little funny. Is that true or is the picture weird? I wish they hadn't put a thicker blade on it. :(
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    What colors does everyone like for Chatterbaits?

Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    What colors does everyone like for Chatterbaits?
    I tend to stick to the basics. White, white/chartreuse, black-blue and green pumpkin. Though I do love that breaking bream color as well.

I only fish a few colors...white/chartreuse, green pumpkin, and perch (kind of a chartreuse with some clear and some orange strands). I also have a few couple that have skirts made of clear stands with silver flake and a few black strands on top that imitate a shad. I keep hearing that black/blue is good, but I have yet to catch a fish on one.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    I can confirm, black blue is good. Only other one to throw in the mix that hasn't been mentioned is red. I only use it early in the season before the blue gills have moved up.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Black and blue is excellent in our lakes!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

10. Member
    Brett hite has an article in the march bassmaster magazine that will answer all your questions from his standpoint,

11. Member
    What’s basic retrieve guys? Slow roll and impart action every few seconds or are some guys fishing it off bottom just as if it’s a Jig?

You really can't fish them wrong, but I think the best way to look at it is to just fish it like you would a swim jig or spinnerbait. Just like you would do with those baits, experiment until you figure out what works. I've had days where it had to be ripped through grass, others where they wanted a straight retrieve, others where you had to drop it into holes or over edges, others where they wanted it "stroked" off the bottom like a jig, others where they wanted it "pumped" like Hackney fishing a swim jig, and so on. Day in and day out, ripping it through grass or straight reeling with pauses - either just as you come past some cover like a dock post, weed patch, limb, rock, etc, or randomly if there is no cover - seem to be the best ways to get bit.

One of the best or at least most fun bites I've ever been on was when I found a bunch of smallmouth busting shad on the Mississippi. I would burn a white chatterbait until it blew out then let it settle a bit before burning it until it blew out again. They'd absolutely blast it on the pause just after it blew out. Wish I had it on video!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Make it hunt, no need to find one that blows out on the retrieve. Use the rod, fish it different ways until you get clued in. I rarely just cast and wind it unless I am fishing very shallow hydrilla and it takes constant movement to keep it from digging too deep in the grass.

Black and Blue is #1 for me, even in clear water. I prefer a Paca Slim as a trailer, and will run a black and blue bait with a green pumpkin trailer or vice versa many times. I like the Strike King Bluegill skirt they use, and will use it on a Jackhammer in place of the original skirt. A green pumpkin chartreuse Strike King Blade Minnow is the perfect match fort the bluegill skirt, and I catch a lot of quality fish on that color during the spawn. I use black and blue, bluegill, green and white/chart and that's about it. Ill have 2 or 3 rigged up every time I fish, they are my confidence bait.

None of them are created equal, they all have their place. Jackhammers are well built, and have a mid level vibration. Not my first choice for really dirty water, I prefer a custom made one or a Buddah Baits model that provides a bit more thump. The original Phenix is a great choice for stained to clear water, less vibration and a bit more of a finesse jig. The Evergreen is kind of in between those for me, and I was sold on them immediately. 3 casts into my practice last year at Chick and I caught an 8.8 on a black and blue 1/2 ounce with a black blue Paca Slim on the back of it.

I could go on and on about chatters, they are very versatile and probably one of the best big fish baits out there. I still have and use the original RAD Lures models also, before Z Man got ahold of them. BTW, I do not and will not own any of the Z Man chatters.

14. Banned
    Amazes me how people make these so complex. Hilarious

15. Member
    Details matter if you are trying to beat a 100 plus boat field by oz's over multiple days. One bite can be the whole difference... or as we just saw one more bite converted to a landed fish.

If you are just out for fun and to catch the odd one, no need to make it complex.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Details matter if you are trying to beat a 100 plus boat field by oz's over multiple days. One bite can be the whole difference... or as we just saw one more bite converted to a landed fish.

If you are just out for fun and to catch the odd one, no need to make it complex.
    Thats hilarious too. Everyone believes what they read and they're all doing the same thing. Try slowing down. Everyone else is screaming

17. Member
    Sucks to have to do that with to a 16$ bait.

Quote Originally Posted by WCCT View Post
    IMO it’s the best Chatterbait on the market. The only negative is the skirt comes apart after a big fish. I’ve had that happen 6 or 7 times. I now put a few wraps of wire around the skirt collar. I probably throw this bait more than anything else.

18. Member
    I treat it like it's a jig and a spinnerbait. From the time the ice thaws until it comes back I throw it. Low temps, I fish it on bottom like dragging a jig. As it warms up, I speed up the retrieve. If you have grass, fish the grass. If it gets hung up in the grass, rip it out and kill it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12