Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

zman/ evergreen jackhammer chatterbaits

I ordered a few of these this week, just because it's winter, and I'm bored and curious. From the guys that have used them what makes them better than all the rest? I've had very little success on chatterbaits, in the past. What are your favorite trailers? I usually use swimbaits or grubs.

2. Member
    I think you'll be pleased with them. I believe what makes them different than the rest is the way that the blade knocks against the head. It knocks against the head pretty hard and creates a harder chatter. They come with hand tied skirts and a great hook too.

If you don't like them, feel free to send them to me.

3. Member
    I am fairly new to bass fishing but have had some luck with zman chatterbaits. Have not spent the extra money on a evergreen one yet. Usually use a Zeko as a trailer.
    Or sometimes no trailer.
    Semper Fi

4. Member
    I forgot to mention my trailer. I pretty much just use a Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper or a Zoom Super Fluke. If you want your chatterbait to run true at high speeds, try a craw type trailer. It balances it out.

5. Member
    I suppose i just don't have much confidence in them. When is the best time to throw them? Whenever I'd throw a spinnerbait?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I suppose i just don't have much confidence in them. When is the best time to throw them? Whenever I'd throw a spinnerbait?
    Usually pre-spawn throughout the Spring is best, but I throw them year round with good success. Any time you have some sort of vegetation it shines. It's funny, I have a hard time deciding when to throw a spinnerbait or a chatterbait. I love to throw both. If you want an above average fish then throw the chatterbait. It's a big fish bait for sure. A Lake Fork guide told me that several years ago and it has rung true ever since.

7. Member
    That's what I figured, there isn't a whole lot of grass to fish around here though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    That's what I figured, there isn't a whole lot of grass to fish around here though.
    You can fish them in open water, grass, around timber, lily pads, docks, you name it. If you fish a lot of timber try the Z-Man Project Z Weedless Chatterbait. It's great when you're fishing around a lot of different snags.

There are only a few lakes around me with grass, so I know the feeling. If you have a lake with rocks or docks, don't be afraid to throw a chatterbait around there. It's a very versatile bait.

I should also mention, don't expect to get a ton of bites on a chatterbait. Like I said earlier, they're a big fish bait, not a numbers bait. Just want to clarify that.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    You can fish them in open water, grass, around timber, lily pads, docks, you name it. If you fish a lot of timber try the Z-Man Project Z Weedless Chatterbait. It's great when you're fishing around a lot of different snags.

There are only a few lakes around me with grass, so I know the feeling. If you have a lake with rocks or docks, don't be afraid to throw a chatterbait around there. It's a very versatile bait.

I should also mention, don't expect to get a ton of bites on a chatterbait. Like I said earlier, they're a big fish bait, not a numbers bait. Just want to clarify that.
    we have plenty of rock around here. the numbers is probably what has me lacking confidence, I've never caught a lot of fish on one, but I've never caught any big ones on it either. I'll just need to fish it more.

10. Member
    I fish it in a lake that has no grass, a lot of rock with a few stumps. I put a chigger craw on the back of a 1/2 oz and start throwing. Just like all fishing days it has it's ups and downs. But I always have one tied on in the spring on that lake cause it does produce quality fish.

Slow roll one along the bottom around rocks, reel it just fast enough to tick the top of the rocks and hold on. As far as trailers any of the small boot tail swim baits or the old twin tail spinner bait trailers usually suffice for me.

12. Member
    IMO it’s the best Chatterbait on the market. The only negative is the skirt comes apart after a big fish. I’ve had that happen 6 or 7 times. I now put a few wraps of wire around the skirt collar. I probably throw this bait more than anything else.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

I don't see any difference in the Jackhammer and the regular ZMan chatterbaits, except some fancy paint and the prices. The blade bangs on the head of the original baits, as well as the Jackhammer. Add a paddle tail swimbait, twin twister tail, or craw type trailer if you want the bait to run true. If you want the bait to catch more fish, find one that "hunts" and use a split tail spinnerbait trailer. The erratic "hunting" action catches far more fish than a bait that just vibrates and runs straight back to you.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCCT View Post
    IMO it’s the best Chatterbait on the market. The only negative is the skirt comes apart after a big fish. I’ve had that happen 6 or 7 times. I now put a few wraps of wire around the skirt collar. I probably throw this bait more than anything else.
    I zip tie all the skirts for my spinnerbaits and chatterbaits already so that isn't an issue.

15. Member
    The hook doesn't suck. That is pretty much the difference between a regular z-man and the jackhammer. Is it worth it? Unfortunately, yes. I got a deal on a bunch of the old phenix jigs and I use those almost exclusively. The TW custom one is also good but the hook is a little small.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    I thought the Jackhammer was just ok at its price point,had more like with the Picasso chatter bait. When my partner is using a chatterbait I will a lot of times throw a spinner bait until we see which is working best.
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    The hook doesn't suck. That is pretty much the difference between a regular z-man and the jackhammer. Is it worth it? Unfortunately, yes. I got a deal on a bunch of the old phenix jigs and I use those almost exclusively. The TW custom one is also good but the hook is a little small.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the crappy hook on the original Chatterbait.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the crappy hook on the original Chatterbait.
    Yes they have a much better hook than the originals.

19. Member
    The elite zmans have an awesome mustad hook

20. Member
    This weekend it was the only lure we go a bit on.
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast