Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

favorite ribbon worm?

I live in the north and someone told me to throw black so thats what ive done. I usually stick to just a regular senko so i dont throw the ribbon worm much but im curious what others like to throw. What size, color, and brand? What rig? I assume texas is the normal setup.

2. Member
    Try the same color that works in senkos to start. I use a lot of black, GP, and tequila sunrise.

Allen

3. Member
    Culprit 7.5

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Culprit 7.5
    ^^^^this...was my favorite for a good 4-5 year stretch!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

5. Member
    Original 7" Berkley Powerworm. Black and Pumpkinseed (tip dyed Chartreuse) are two staples of mine. The Culprit is a good worm too, just find myself catching more fish with the Powerworm. Aside from the traditional texas rig, try fishing it on a 1/8 oz mushroom head (Outkast Money jig) and fish it on and along the weed edge. Deadly tactic in the north country.

6. Member
    Berkley Power Worm. 10" Plum. Night or day. 3/8 Red Lead weight, 6/0 Trokar. Small red bead at night.
    I am intrigued by the new Berkley PB MAXSCENT Kingtail worm.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Member
    Berkley 7" Power Worm

I would give a Berkley Power Worm a try. It's one of the original worms that was introduced many years ago. It's been a proven fish-catcher for a long time and it's one of my go-to's when the bite is tough. It has a powerful scent that helps fish hold on longer. Good durability, good price, and plenty of colors to choose from.

7" Berkley Power Worm...red shad!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

9. Member
    Zoom old monster.
    I grew up throwing worms then that went by the weighside to countless other tactics. I started throwing a Big worm late last summer and was reminded why I did it back then. The difference now is NO ONE does it in the lakes I fish. Infact I have bought many packs awaiting next summer
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. Member
    Gambler Ribbon Tail and Zoom Mag 2

11. Member
    Culprit or Berkley power worms work great for me.red shad,tequila sunrise, and black are my favorites. Might not catch a lot of bass on them but It’s more fun than a Senko
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    Culprit in Red Shad
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    7" Berkley Power Worm...red shad!
    Yep!

Green Pumpkin and red shad are my confidence colors and the 10 inch Berkeley power worm are very effective. There are many good plastic worms out there, soft and flexible is the key.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

15. Member
    10" Lake Fork worm, color BLUE BRUISER!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Zoom old monster.
    I grew up throwing worms then that went by the weighside to countless other tactics. I started throwing a Big worm late last summer and was reminded why I did it back then. The difference now is NO ONE does it in the lakes I fish. Infact I have bought many packs awaiting next summer
    Same here. 2nd favorite zoom mag II

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Culprit 7.5
    Definitely my favorite. Tequila Sunrise.

18. Member
    You tried those Fat Max ribbon tails yet Ray? About all I throw now in the culprit..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    Definitely my favorite. Tequila Sunrise.

I'll go ahead and throw in the 6th or 7th plug for the Berkley 7" Ribbontail Power Worm. Those are my go-to when "jig worming" the weeds up here in Minnesota and work very, very well. They're quite cost effective to boot. That's basically my main technique for them nowadays, though I used to Texas rig them a lot. For whatever reason I usually end up choosing to Texas rig a Zoom trick worm in similar situations now instead of the ribbontail. I probably should try them more...I've had a lot of luck on 10 inch ribbontails, no reason the 7 inch variety wouldn't work just as well.

I like green pumpkin for most any situation, and green pumpkin chartreuse works really well especially in stained water. One thing I started doing was dyeing the very tip of the tail on a green pumpkin one chartreuse in clearer water...the section of chartreuse on the ones that come that way is darn near half of the worm which I think ends up being way too much in clear water. Red shad was always my go-to when I lived in WV fishing those lakes and rivers (including the Ohio) with blue fleck coming in second....very little luck with those in the Midwest for whatever reason. One color I've had some really good luck on recently in clear water (one lake in particular, actually...it has a good 18-20+ feet of visibility) is the plum or cherry seed color. I generally thought of those colors are dirty water colors for whatever reason, but they are quite translucent and catch fish in clear water really well (and in fact probably are poor choices for dirty water).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Gambler ribbon tail,Zoom old monster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast