Don’t laugh at what I wanna do to my triton

So I bought a 2013 triton 20xs
    kleeeeeen boat
    but they drilled screws for tranducer right thru the hull
    im very OCD when it comes to water intrusion

so i start looking at where all the hoses and live well pumps come thru the boat and i’m Freaking out
    i just do not want any water intrusion
    i plan on taking out all the pumps that run thru the transom, and re-siliconing with some black 4200

however some of the bigger drain hoses in boat almos appear to. Be fiberglassed right into the transom,
    and it looks like a real pain to try to take those thru hull fittings out with those giant plastic nuts

so i bought a can of FLEX SEAL (this is the main question of this post)

and I plan to clean around fittings best i can to keep any water that’s IN the bilge from getting into the layers in the transom

the outside transducer screw holes I plan on filling with Marine Tex-i’m Not worried about sealing up the outside of transom

I’m more worried about water that’s already in the bilge

am i being petty?
    plese tell me

I’ve talked to firbrglass repair guys in the past and they say that water always wins, and it will get in between the layers
    This boat has to last me 10+ years
    i know a guy that bought a 06 ranger 520 from florida
    beat the crap outta the boat
    last summer at Lake St Clair the motor and jack plate peeled right off the back of the transom-coulda killed him

**I know that was because of water softening up the transom with no attention paid to it
    i am all about Preventative Maintenance
    please respond with experiences and thoughts...

Not sure about the flex seal helping much? The Ranger isn't built the way yours is. An 06 Ranger isn't wood, but, it's a strange design and to me...appears weaker than all the way across transoms. (I've had a couple with the transom ripped off of them). It's a well built boat, but, seems like a strange design. I don't think water would hurt an 06 Ranger transom though. Impact, or abuse....yeah.

Your fittings should be silicone in, and a pain to remove in one piece, without having to buy new thru hulls.
    Flex seal might help though? Just don't know.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

3. Member
    As long as you pull the plug when not on the water, shouldn't have any problems.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 01-31-2018 at 07:47 PM.

5. Member
    I think the drain holes that fiberglassed in are good, I wouldn't mess with those but the transducer holes and bilge/aereator inlets could be resealed for sure. Im not buying the flex seal hype. properly used and reapplied silicone will definitely keep the water out. it just doesn't last forever

6. Member
    Flex seal sucks. I had a boat the previous owner used flex seal on the live well and the inlets for the livewell. I had a leak so I pulled Everything to reseal. I worked on 3-4 hrs a day for a week. Used 10 sheets 80grit sand paper on a da. I finally got that crap off to reseal every thing. They lined the livewell with it. I gave up and glasses the entire livewell. Nothing will soften it up where you can scrape it off. Da just got it hot and it would ball up and clog the paper.

7. Member
    Thanks for input fellas!!
    put the kaibosh on the flex seal
    inspected everything real good
    cleaned up around fittings best i could
    3m4200’d all fittings inside bilge

marine tex’d the transducer holes outside and in

i’ll dump it in the water and inspect bilge before i put it all back together

8. Member
    5200 in all the screw holes

9. Member
    I have a Triton too and the ones that have the big plastic nuts eventually leaked. It's easy to take them out and reseal, but unless the boat is leaking don't worry about it

10. Member
    Resin and chop glass for anything under the water line.

11. Member
    Just curious why you’re so worried about water intrusion on that particular boat? There’s nothing to rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    I have a Triton too and the ones that have the big plastic nuts eventually leaked. It's easy to take them out and reseal, but unless the boat is leaking don't worry about it
    What plastic nuts are you talking about

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke