Are all Megabass Orochi XX Launcher a 2 piece rod?

Just got my Orochi XX Launcher earlier and it came in a pvc tube that looks to be only 7 ft in length only, i really thought that i've received the wrong rod until I opened it and to my surprise the whole handle can be taken off the rod blank. Do the longer Orochi XX come in two piece only? I'm afraid if I make a really hard cast, the rod blank will fly off leaving me only with the handle.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

2. Member
    From what I’ve seen with other 2 piece rods like that is they don’t easily separate. If you really want, you could epoxy the two together but once you put it together and see how hard they are to separate, I doubt you will.
    Last edited by Lape0019; 01-24-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Cast thousands of times Megabass DeepX past 2 seasons and only take them apart at the end of the season “once”. Once you start using it, you will forget it’s a 2 piece rod.

4. Member
    I have a trickster rod that is the same way never had any problems with it
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

The XX Launcher and XX Leviathan are both "off set handle" design, yes. The blank slides down into the handle. It's very common in longer rods from Japanese companies like Megabass. Like others have stated, seat the blank into handle and it fishes like any other rod. I have and have had a lot of rods built like this over the years with no problems.

6. Member
    thanks guys that's good to know.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

One thing I will do at tackle shows or when in retailers is let people handle those two models in the XX line. I ask them their thoughts and I have yet for anyone to be able to tell they pull apart till I do it. They are always surprised. I have never seen one come apart on a cast. In addition if you are concerned and know you will not be pulling it apart anyway just put a small dab of epoxy or Superglue on it before you put it together. Line up guides and let it dry. Will never cause an issue either way.

8. Member
    Can someone explain why companies even do this? Is there any benefit to it? I do a lot of punching and deep cranking and I’ve blown up a lot of rods that don’t come apart. I also have had plenty of reel seats come apart on me so it’s hard for me to understand why a company would do this and harder to be confident that the rods just won’t twist when setting the hook on a nice fish in the slop.

New g1 XX Leviathan is one piece now. Launcher no longer in that series so all g1 will be 2 piece. As stated I could put it together and you could fish it all day and have no clue it's a 2 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkds View Post
    Can someone explain why companies even do this? Is there any benefit to it? I do a lot of punching and deep cranking and I’ve blown up a lot of rods that don’t come apart. I also have had plenty of reel seats come apart on me so it’s hard for me to understand why a company would do this and harder to be confident that the rods just won’t twist when setting the hook on a nice fish in the slop.

Storage in boat lockers played a part initially. Other factors as well. If you blew up a Leviathan or Launcher you really had to try to do so. Both rods are stout and built strong. As I stated above had I not told you it was a 2 piece you would fish it all day and have no clue from performance to visually.

11. Member
    I get it. But what’s the point? Just for storage?

I get it. But what’s the point? Just for storage?

Customer demand, ease of storage, ease of shipping, customer feedback to name a few.

13. Member
    So the rod I have is an IROD not a Megabass. And I’m wondering what’s the point so it’s strictly a storage thing? Structurally there is no way that a 2 piece rod will ever be as strong as a 1 piece.

So the rod I have is an IROD not a Megabass. And I’m wondering what’s the point so it’s strictly a storage thing? Structurally there is no way that a 2 piece rod will ever be as strong as a 1 piece.

A lot of our 2 piece rods are blanks that slide into the handle. You would not know it was 2 piece in many cases just by looking. Just as strong as any other rod.

15. Banned
    I wish us manufacturers would do the same with longer rods the Japanese are definitely doing it right

16. Banned
    And if the blank is one piece its definitely just as strong as a 1 peice

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    I wish us manufacturers would do the same with longer rods the Japanese are definitely doing it right
    Why do you want the US manufactures to do this?

18. Banned
    Well if you buy a 8 ft rod and you don't like it it costs over 100 dollars to ship a 8ft rod tube so you end up stuck with it now all shipping companies changed there length policies if it's over 96 inches in length you get a charge

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    Well if you buy a 8 ft rod and you don't like it it costs over 100 dollars to ship a 8ft rod tube so you end up stuck with it now all shipping companies changed there length policies if it's over 96 inches in length you get a charge
    So really the only benefit is shipping charges. Which in the end is passed down to the consumer.

So really the only benefit is shipping charges. Which in the end is passed down to the consumer.
    Respectfully dealers usually are not passing on shipping charges since many brands have MAP pricing. Many dealers still get hit with surcharge. There are many reason as pointed out earlier for customers wanting a 2 piece rod in the 8' range. The biggest is ease of transporting and storing whether in a boat or elsewhere. Many rod lockers cannot hold an 8' rod. I think we all are guilty of forgetting there are hundreds of thousands of anglers not running 19' or bigger boats. Many fish from the bank, kayaks or smaller boats.
    Those rods are often designed from customer feedback and requests. No company is gonna wake up one day and decide to build an 8' or longer baitcasting rod simply because they want to. Customers other than yourself have requested it. Enough customers to make it worthwhile ins ome cases.