Thread: Tunnel boats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tunnel boats

Why aren’t any of the bass boats a tunnel? I know there have been a few over the years but it’s not the norm. I figured it has to do with space and storage more than proformance. Even thoe their are some tunnels like stroker that seem to have almost as much. And they fly. With no walking.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

They've come and gone a few times for good reasons.

They don't work well on stumpy reservoirs and thus are not very versatile. Almost every area of the country has a few stump reservoirs, or rivers, that people want to use a boat on at least a few times. Here in Arkansas even Table Rock has creeks with trees, so does Beaver and then we have Dardanelle. Up north there are some areas that have more open water, though within reach in the South and Southeast most areas have a few lakes with timber.

A Stroker is not a tunnel hull. You maybe thinking of some of the old Shadow bass boats.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I think tunnel boats were fairly dangerous at high speed, unless you were a good driver with experience. Not long before they went out of business, Venture boats built a tunnel model. My dealer at that time claimed Venture wouldn' sell one unless the buyer came to the factory and was willing to be shown how to drive it.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Champion tried it in the early 80's. They turned well and were stable but slugs compared to the V hulls. My gramps sold one to Norm "Doc" Clayman who ran it for several years and loved it. Champion only made 10-20 of em before they called it quits.

That was a copy (termed a "splash" in the marine industry) of the Speedliner hull from St Joseph's, Missouri.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-25-2018 at 07:12 AM.

7. Member
    A cat or tunnel will not cut waves like a V hull. Overall handling of a V is better as you are riding on one surface vs two with cat sponsons. Cats are fast & efficient hull designs just not a good fit in the bass boat world.

8. Member
    Fastcat. some where in florida.
    http://www.laniercustomboats.com/photos

9. Member
    Hey Rick, Does Errol Lanier know a thing or 2???? We know where that boat came from, If anyone is bored look up the Lanier Family, very colorful. The Race Car driver especially

The Champion Tunnel Hull?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    That was a copy (termed a "splash" in the marine industry) of the Speedliner hull from St Joseph's, Missouri.

11. Member
    Stoker I’m referimg to was a tunnel just not a bass boat. There is one or 2 on you tube running 100+. They SVT, eliminator,and contender and a few others were very popular back in the 70’s and 80’s. We had a Sanger V- drive Drag boat back then. I’m now on my 3rd Big tunnel. It’s a Howard 26 with a 607cid and Max Machine Worx drive. I love my tunnels and they are very easy to drive. And the ride is awesome. If it gets choppy just go faster. Some day I’d like to have a 30’ twin. It would be even better on lanier.

im going to look up that champion didn’t know they tried one. Interesting. I loved my champions I’ve had a few.
    speedliner going to look that up 2. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

12. Member
    Was it champion or challenger?

Champion tried it. Pics of them in the pinned thread Champion Forum. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=63612

14. Member
    Stratos made a VT180 back in the late 80's. I had the unfortunate pleasure of owning one.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

There was a tunnel hull bass boat on Conroe when I had my 1977 wrangle, 175 hp Mariner. He was at least 10 mph faster if not more. This was late 70's or very early 80's.

P01135809

16. Member
    Wow that is the ugliest champion I’ve ever seen!
    What did you not like about the vt180 dewayne?
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

It was Champion and it was a Speedliner hull.

The Stratos VT Rocket we feel was a spinoff of a Laser made in Texas. Rourke Summerford eventually ended up with Earl at Stratos, after building Summerford STV's in Tennessee, after leaving Texas and selling Laser.

Here's a bit of trivia, Rourke sold Laser Boats to Ron & Jane Pierson from memory. Can't get much closer than that one.

This isn't all of interest nor is it precise, though it's close enough.

http://www.stvowners.com/topic/95-hi...ing-stv%C2%A0/

Google this and it brings up images where you will see the hulls. They built a bass version which spun all this off before anyone and extremely few were made.

speedliner bass tunnel boat, saint josephs missouri

20. Member
    BCB as you know or Rick does Roarks Laser 380 V Hull would Kick Ally and Hydrostreams ass on the Circuit back then, theirs plenty of Videos (old ones) on Youtube. Someone should take the 21 Skater hull mold and make a cap, or is that LCB?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast