Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Go-to baits for crappie?

We have limited opportunity to ice-fish here in Kansas most years. Went for the first time last year and had a blast. Good ice this year though, and have made it out several times. I've got a lot to learn.
    We don't have weedbeds in most lakes. Mostly fish manmade brushpiles in 15-20 feet of water.

We had some success this year on everything from small spoons, small tubes and Slab Slayr's, marabou jigs, and small jigging rapalas.

Curious to hear of some other good crappie lures from you experts up north. Places to order would be great too. Very little selection around here.

2. Member
    This year I not targeted crappies as much as years past but the last time out the bite was tough and I switched over to a lindy tungsten head with an impulse plastic skeleton minnow. The fish seemed to be more apt to commit after I did this. You can find these at marine general. I got mine at BPS.

Thanks. Most ice baits are new to me. There is nowhere local to put eyes on them. That Impulse skeleton minnow looks good.
    I understand the tungsten ice jigs are pretty small. I'm not quite sure how they are sized. Seems like some manufacturers list a 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, which I assume is head size, but then some list a hook size like 10 or 12. Kind of confusing when you cant look at them in person.

I mostly had success on 1/16 to 1/8 jigheads with 1.5" to 2" plastics like panfish assassins and 2" Slab SlayRs. But that was the smallest I had. Did notice a lot of fish on the graph would come up and look but never commit. I just wonder if having a more finesse option would get a few more bites.

4. Member
    https://www.lindyfishingtackle.com
    I usually don't like to pimp manufacturers but their site is great for figuring out different baits for different species. If your in to you tube their site is extremely informative on their products and applications.
    I have been using their tungsten toads this year and have caught a ton of fish. I normally use size 12. It is based on hook size. I like this because they are cheap just like me. I use 2lb floro and I don't feel as bad loosing a cheaper jig....

5. Member

Ben,
    I've got quite a few Baby Shads. Good bait. Never tried the Swimming Minnow.
    Generally, for the 10 or 11 months when our lakes are ice-free, we can catch crappie on 3" baits, even when water temps are high 30's. If they're not active, we downsize to 2". But, when the ice is on, something changes. Then we can catch some active fish on 2" baits, but need something smaller for the timid fish. I will probably get some itty bitty slab slayr's to try.

A Wood,
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Tungsten Toad and Lindy's site. I browsed through quickly, and saw some good articles I'll definitely go back to read later.
    Thanks!

In MN we can fish two lines. I usually have a Custom Jigs and Spins Glow Demon Jig with a minnow under a bobber. On another rod, I have a VMC Tungsten Fly Jig with maggots or plastic or a VMC Tubby Jig. On another rod, I have a Custom Jigs and Spins Glow Demon Spoon with plastics or maggots.

Thanks Bass Pundit. Demon jig and spoon look similar to the Frostee Spoon and Jigs I've been looking at. Must be a common style.
    I'm still a little uncertain on brands of tungsten jigs. Are they all basically the same, or is there a big difference in quality/durability? The Tungsten Toad claims to be the most durable jig on the market, but thats from Lindy too. I've always heard of Fiskas, but they seem a bit pricier.

I appreciate the info guys. True newbie here so I've got a lot to learn.

On a sidenote, I fried up a batch of crappie from the weekend last night. I could watch a short Lindy video on Youtube in about the time it took to cook a couple filets in my Fry Daddy. Passed the time fairly well! Thanks for that rec, A Wood.

10. Member
    As with anything else in life. There are thousands of choices when it comes to jigs. I own about 50 jigs of all different sizes and colors and tend to switch them out regularly . The more expensive ones tend to be more pain detailed, bell and whistles. My 9 year old son only uses a #12 L toad in white and pink. When we fish side by side in the shack he usually kicks my ass everytime. My suggestion is buy 5-6 of the same size jig in different colors and start there. Add wax worms or plastic and go fish.....

Yes, the choices are a bit overwhelming. You're probably right, I think I'll just get some Tungsten Toads and start there. I've got some Dave's Wedgees on the way for plastics.
    No wax worms around here that I've ever seen.

Thanks for the advice. Now just need somebody to open the door up north and let some more cold air down here. We had 11.5 inches of ice last weekend, but had some warm days and it's supposed to get to 60 today.

12. Member
    If you have a walmart near you check there. All of them around us carry wax worms in the little bait cooler in the sporting section. My back up is our local pet store carries meal worms for feeding lizards.

I'll check. All I've ever seen is nightcrawlers in ours. Pet store might be a good option. Good suggestion!

We even have a local bait & tackle store that specializes in crappie. Their ice selection consists of a single 3600 box on the counter with a few handmade lead ice jigs and spoons. Maybe a local guy makes them. They look ok, but way overpriced. We also have a Dicks and Academy. Neither carries so much as an ice rod. We literally have a hard-water tackle famine around here. Good thing for the internet!

14. Member
    I would second the tungsten toads or similar style. Sometimes you can't get small enough. You can mail order live spikes or wax worms also. Pinching off the heads of crappie minnows will also work at times, and sometimes just a live minnow and plain hook.

http://www.speedyworm.com/

Thanks snodogg. I will be checking the pet shops (and Wal-Mart) for wax worms or meal worms. And if not, looks like I can order them.

I been wondering about these minnow heads that I keep hearing about. Wondered if the northern bait shops sold just minnow heads, or whether you had to buy the whole minnow!

Those look good! We caught some fish on some other small spoons. I like the flash of the little blade and the color on the treble.
    I'll have to thank you later as our safe ice is gone. But I appreciate the recommendation, as I want to be stocked up for next year. Or if we get a crazy cold snap this year.

Believe it or not, I was ice fishing 11.5 inches of ice on the 19th, and on the 28th it was gone or unsafe. I was able to launch the boat on a different lake. Found the biggest school of crappie I've ever seen!

Definitely don't try wacky rigging a Berkley Trout Worm on a jig head. Definitely doesn't work. Definitely.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Definitely don't try wacky rigging a Berkley Trout Worm on a jig head. Definitely doesn't work. Definitely.
    I will put some trout worms on the list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast