Thread: Cleaning Reels

Cleaning Reels

I left my rods strapped to the bow when I was bring the boat home from the lake. Salt all over the roads so now I have a good coat of salt mess all over the reels. What is a good solution to wash them in with out taking each one apart? Or do I need to take them all apart? Will water work if I make sure to dry them real well?

Thanks

If they were mine, and since I like my stuff to last a long time, I would be stripping them down and cleaning them thoroughly as the salt will corrode the internals. Even if you wash them off well, which will get most of it, there will likely still be some remnants of the salt the worked it's way inside.

Hindsight is 20/20 but this is why it's a good idea to put rods away in the locker before heading home
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20 but this is why it's a good idea to put rods away in the locker before heading home
    Every time.

I believe you need to go ahead and take apart to clean the entire reel.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    If they were mine, and since I like my stuff to last a long time, I would be stripping them down and cleaning them thoroughly as the salt will corrode the internals. Even if you wash them off well, which will get most of it, there will likely still be some remnants of the salt the worked it's way inside.

This^^^^^^^^^

5. Member
    Throw them in a bathtub of warm water and dawn dish soap, let 'em soak. Take them out and rinse in fresh water, commence to tear down and re-lube.

Once you do it a time or 2, and have the right tools, lubes, etc, it doesnt take long to break them down, clean and re-lube. Def worth the extra effort, you'll prob be surprised at how much smoother they are after being properly serviced

Lots of good videos online to learn how to do it also, start with a low $$$ reel you dont care as much about to learn on, before long you will be doing all your own reels
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    I have been cleaning my reels for 15 years. The materials are cheap and as long as you have a duplicate reel, you never have to worry about, how to put things back together.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

Tackle trap........clean.

Somewhere I read where KVD used a product called “gun scrub” when cleaning his. You for sure want to tear them down and clean/re-lube them.

10. Member
    Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber is your friend.......

Use your phone, take close up pictures at each step of disassembly. Make sketches, take notes, do whatever it takes.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Tackle trap........clean.
    Thank you.

Wet road grime with salt can wreak havoc on your reels in the long term if not properly cleaned and flushed. If you want them to last, want a thorough clean/lube, send them in to The Tackle Trap. They'll come back sparkly clean, lubed up, and ready for action