Simple Approach to weight loss

A few years ago I suddenly became diabetic. I wasn't over weight at the time and no one in my family ever had diabetes. During the course of treatment I met with a dietitian and receive information on how to eat and maintain a healthy weight. The benefit of this concept is it's not complicated, you can enjoy several foods without feeling like you are giving up everything you enjoy.

Basically you eat three meals a day each having no more than 60 carbs and two snacks of 30 carbs. This approach will generally provide about 1800 calories a day. You can look at a food label to see the carb content and ignore all the other confusing numbers.

The food choices are not limited but of course there are good and bad choices to be made. If you consume foods with a high carb content you cannot have as much and you will not feel as full. However, you can eat the foods you enjoy, watching the carb intake, and not feeling deprived or restricted by a specific diet. This makes it a life style change that isn't as restrictive as a diet you may not stick with by eliminating the food you like..

I gained weight by retiring and cutting way back on my daily physical activity while not counting my carbs.

Just an FYI for those wondering how to start changing your eating habits.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    IMHO, if you're going to count carbs, you might as well track the rest of your caloric intake. Eventually, it becomes second nature and you are able to eat intuitively. But, 1800 calories, for some, will be too drastic. I know at 1800 calories for me, I start to lose muscle and energy.

I think the simplest approach to weight loss, is too cut out all processed foods.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Counting the carbs is easy and you can adjust your intake to meet your needs. Cutting out all processed foods may be too drastic for some and isn't necessary. Bottom line is what ever works for you is what matters.

There are Apps for this.....
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba$$n View Post
    A few years ago I suddenly became diabetic. I wasn't over weight at the time and no one in my family ever had diabetes. During the course of treatment I met with a dietitian and receive information on how to eat and maintain a healthy weight. The benefit of this concept is it's not complicated, you can enjoy several foods without feeling like you are giving up everything you enjoy.

Basically you eat three meals a day each having no more than 60 carbs and two snacks of 30 carbs. This approach will generally provide about 1800 calories a day. You can look at a food label to see the carb content and ignore all the other confusing numbers.

The food choices are not limited but of course there are good and bad choices to be made. If you consume foods with a high carb content you cannot have as much and you will not feel as full. However, you can eat the foods you enjoy, watching the carb intake, and not feeling deprived or restricted by a specific diet. This makes it a life style change that isn't as restrictive as a diet you may not stick with by eliminating the food you like..

I gained weight by retiring and cutting way back on my daily physical activity while not counting my carbs.

Just an FYI for those wondering how to start changing your eating habits.

So if I’m understanding this right you only track your carbs and you feel like you’re getting about 1800 calories?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R Warner View Post
    So if I’m understanding this right you only track your carbs and you feel like you’re getting about 1800 calories?
    Before I got careless yes, tracking just the carbs was easier than adding up all the calories from food labels or looking values up. Really helped when making food choices at the grocery store, you can do the numbers in your head.

Just an example, sorry I don't know how to make the post keep the column settings.

Eggo Waffles 180 Cal 31 carbs
    sugar free syrup 10 cal 2 carbs
    fruit cup 80 cal 19 carbs
    bacon 172 cal .4 carbs
    2% milk 103 cal 12 carbs

totals 545 cal 64.4 carbs
    Last edited by Ba$$n; 01-25-2018 at 05:53 PM.

7. Member
    So you don’t count fat or protein?

8. Member
    No the example menu sheet I posted shows 30%fat content so I guess I'm in that area. This is just an easy way to stay in an intake range without making it too difficult to keep track of it. It was given to me by the hospital nutritionist who knows far more about it than I do. My cholesterol numbers are great, so something is working. I just let myself develop a fat belly that I need to get off.

9. Member
    Easier way. If it has a food label, don’t eat it. Lean meat, veggies and fruit. Eat all
    you want. If it comes in a can or a box, leave it at the store.