Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

KY Lake Bass Study Results for 2017

From the "Western Kentucky Fisheries" Facebook page:

3 THINGS to KNOW about BASS fishing in KY lake in 2017. (1.) Bass anglers caught .85 bass/hour of fishing. (2.) only 2% of the bass caught were harvested. (3.) bass anglers caught .266 keepers/hour (second highest catch rate ever recorded in our creel surveys)

According to our creel surveyor, the popular opinions about the bass fishing last year were all over the place. Some claimed the best ledge fishing ever, some the worst. Some said you couldn’t catch a short fish, some said all you caught were short fish. Opinions would change from boat to boat. Looking with a historical perspective it seems that bass fishing was fairly average for ky lake in 2017.

A lot of 10-12” bass were caught (mostly shallow) which represents the average spawn of 2015 and the excellent spawn of 2016.

A lot of keeper largemouth (>15”) were caught (.266/hour) which is the second highest catch rate ever recorded in a ky lake creel survey.

Overall catch rates were pretty average.

26907387_1950274521967721_4742479427727684938_n.jpg

27072726_1950274525301054_5362547508515923008_n.jpg

2. Banned
    And here's the one for crappie:

The 2 most IMPORTANT things to know about CRAPPIE fishing in KY LAKE during 2017. (1.) Anglers in 2017 had a catch rate that was more than double any previous creel survey. (2.) Anglers caught a huge number of 9” crappie. Those 9” fish will be keepers in 2018.

Check out our previous posts for more details about the ky lake creel survey results.

CRAPPIE26731764_1949651545363352_3945366778688940216_n.jpg

Crappie26992230_1949651542030019_5280814002675549753_n.jpg

3. Banned
    There are some really good videos and additional information on that Facebook page to go with these results. Check it out if you have haven't done so yet.

4. Banned
    The 2017 survey was based on over 5,000 individual interviews conducted on the water. We do rely a lot on the honesty and memory of our anglers. Keeper fish are measured when time and weather conditions allow. Our creel surveyor is not law enforcement so there isn’t really any incentive for all of our anglers to lie, but it is technically possible. The recording of released fish is always reliant on the memory of anglers, so there is definitely some variability associated with that, but our sample sizes are huge to account for this. Even the English language and mathematical principles affect it somewhat (there is almost always a low number of 11” bass reported during the survey because anglers usually say “10-12 inch bass”. If an angler only catches one or two “10-12 inch bass”, the 11 inch category gets superficially depressed.

5. Member
    Have they released any recent studies on the Asian Carp situation? Johnsonville south they are thicker than ever as of 2017. The Duck and most every creek south was infested. Thanks.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoutdoors View Post
    Have they released any recent studies on the Asian Carp situation? Johnsonville south they are thicker than ever as of 2017. The Duck and most every creek south was infested. Thanks.
    They keep saying they are committed to eradicating them. They also are saying that creel study results are indicating that the bass and crappie are currently unaffected by the asian carp. Like I said, there are some great videos on that Facebook page with a lot more info surrounding these creel studies and their efforts to try and gauge the impact of the asian carp. I would post the videos here, but I'm not sure they would work for everyone.

7. Member
    Mostly agree with the creel survey as largemouth catching was still good south just not on the crappie side for us. It's just the nuisance of a slimed boat every time out is taking the fun out of it. Will check out the FaceBook posts. Thanks again.

8. Member
    Who thinks there will be another Asian carp die off like we had last spring? Who thinks this was natural? Who thinks it was man made?
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    Who thinks there will be another Asian carp die off like we had last spring? Who thinks this was natural? Who thinks it was man made?
    The official word was that the carp starved to death because of the warm winter. If so, that definitely wont happen this year. I'm hoping it was man made and they are keeping it a secret until they perfect it.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    The 2017 survey was based on over 5,000 individual interviews conducted on the water. We do rely a lot on the honesty and memory of our anglers. Keeper fish are measured when time and weather conditions allow. Our creel surveyor is not law enforcement so there isn’t really any incentive for all of our anglers to lie, but it is technically possible. The recording of released fish is always reliant on the memory of anglers, so there is definitely some variability associated with that, but our sample sizes are huge to account for this. Even the English language and mathematical principles affect it somewhat (there is almost always a low number of 11” bass reported during the survey because anglers usually say “10-12 inch bass”. If an angler only catches one or two “10-12 inch bass”, the 11 inch category gets superficially depressed.
    Thanks for posting the graphs but I can not stress enough how important it is for people to realize when they are looking at the numbers they are based on what anglers verbally reported...and we all know fishermen don't lie.

I will use my self as an example. Around 5-6 years ago there was a creel survey guy that was on Green River Lake. He was around for 2-3 years but I have not seen him for a few years. Anyways if you wanted to know who was catching what and on what bait and where they were fishing all you had to do was ask. I did not realize this until one day I got checked and the guy I was with point blank ask him if boat X (someone he knew) had any fish. The creel survey guy answered in detail. After the creel survey guy left I ask my friend if he knew the creel survey guy and he said no, he has checked me several times and we always chat. I told him he has never said anything to me about other fishermen and how they catch fish, he has only said vague comments like I checked 10 boats and only 3 had a limit. He never went into detail but then again I never ask for details. He said all you have to do is ask for specific details and he will tell you. I though that was pretty crappy but it is what it is. Anyways after that I went from being honest to someone who could not catch a bite and should quit fishing when the survey guy came around. I have helped people in the past and there has been times when I told someone I had rather not help because I was on something that was unique/odd/different. This was me being honest. When it came to the creel survey I was not going to give him the opportunity to say something I did not want to be shared. The reason for my change in how I answer him is if I am going to share something that is between me and you. If I know it's going to be broadcast then my info gets real small like basic info such as water color or temperature. This is me being honest...I have lied to the creel survey guy more than once. If that's not an oxymoron, then I don't know what one is

Why would you lie to a creel survey? All the times I was asked some specific guestion. How long to been fishing today? What you fishing for? Fishing a tournament? How many fish you caught and what size? If you gave anymore information than that then that’s on you. I was never asked where I caught any fish nor what bait I was using.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Why would you lie to a creel survey? All the times I was asked some specific guestion. How long to been fishing today? What you fishing for? Fishing a tournament? How many fish you caught and what size? If you gave anymore information than that then that’s on you. I was never asked where I caught any fish nor what bait I was using.
    The one in particular at our lake had a loose lip and if I want to share my info its one on one not public unless I decide to do so. Even if you just answered the questions honest like X amount of bass, X size and fished for X amount of hours he would say he saw X boat on X creek/drop/bank and they had X bait tied on. A lot of the things he repeated is things he could see because it was right in front of his eyes. I thought it was a crappy thing for him to do, hence my dishonest answer on what he actually ask about.
    Last edited by JR19; 01-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.

13. Member
    I can say for certain that Eagle Creek in early October was loading up with bait fish. I went in there a week prior to the Carl Perkins Classic and I believe the day of. Thousands of dead Asians were on the bank. The stench and buzzards everywhere. I assumed this was from the draw down or another beaching mystery like they do. The many not already dead on the bank were waning and no doubt dying just under the water's surface. Ruined that early fall excursion. Forgot to add that the volume of bait fish had diminished considerably during that Asian kill/die off. Hoping they get it right whatever they are doing.
    Last edited by tnoutdoors; 01-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.

14. Member
    I used to be a creel survey clerk and our job was to gather info so the dept. could make fishing better for everyone to give false information is just being selfish!

15. Member
    Learned this lesson the hard way a long time ago. If you find a secret and tell one person, even the old lady clerk at the gas station, it ain't a secret no more. Chose your partner wisely.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boogiebass View Post
    I used to be a creel survey clerk and our job was to gather info so the dept. could make fishing better for everyone to give false information is just being selfish!
    On Green River? Reason I ask is because my son and I seen a electro survey being done directly in front of state dock. Went and talked with them and asked if they had ever shocked up a rainbow trout in green before, they laughed at me and said they could guarantee there was no trout in GRL.

Later as we were fishing our way back to ramp in Butler creek (mt Carmel), the creel service pulled up. We chatted a bit and I told him about the trout my son had caught and he said yeah, people catch them all the time. I told him about the electro survey boat and he let out a big laugh and said "those boys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground". That had to be around 18 yrs ago+ maybe, my son will tell you the same and I will tell you that he caught it trolling a white wiggle wart on bluff around bend from ramp one. Have a picture somewhere someone could verify.

Just wondering if you were that creel guy.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Exactly. Even if someone lied, I can't believe it would be that many out of the 5,000+ interviewed. A few lies wouldn't be enough to impact the overall data anyways. Really no point in lying.

18. Member
    nope not me was probably Jim Clarke.

19. Member
    Sounds like the fishing is better than ever and the Asian carp are a non issue.,,,,...?

20. Member
    I know my spring trip last year to the twins was disappointing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast