Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    Sounds like the fishing is better than ever and the Asian carp are a non issue.,,,,...?
    I call B.S. Although I'm very appreciative of their efforts and sharing data, you can't tell me it's better than ever. It's in a huge decline. Don't let a few boats in each tournament persuade you otherwise. For the general population, catch rates and size are down across the board. Fishing is tougher than I've seen it down there year around. Sure you can still have some great days but they are few and far in between.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

no way the fishing is better than it was in the early 90's before they killed all the grass on the northern half of the lake. zero chance.
    Ranger Forever

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    I call B.S. Although I'm very appreciative of their efforts and sharing data, you can't tell me it's better than ever. It's in a huge decline. Don't let a few boats in each tournament persuade you otherwise. For the general population, catch rates and size are down across the board. Fishing is tougher than I've seen it down there year around. Sure you can still have some great days but they are few and far in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    no way the fishing is better than it was in the early 90's before they killed all the grass on the northern half of the lake. zero chance.
    I'm not saying you guys are right or wrong, but they sure have a lot of data backing their claim up.

I still think the fish are there but not where you'd expect them to be, you just have to step out of your comfort zone and trying some different things. It took me a while finally grasp that notion.

4. Member
    OK.. this makes it official! I suck. Last year was probably the worst year I've ever had on KY lake. According to this apparently I am the problem. Anyone want to buy some stuff?

5. Member
    Anyone see a reduction in bait fish. In my opinion I do. Not to say I'm not finding any bait fish, just no where near what I used to see.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I'm not saying you guys are right or wrong, but they sure have a lot of data backing their claim up.

I still think the fish are there but not where you'd expect them to be, you just have to step out of your comfort zone and trying some different things. It took me a while finally grasp that notion.
    Yeah it’s tough for some people to accept statistics when their own small sample size of experiences tell them the exact opposite. In my opinion, numbers don’t lie. The fish are still there and people are still catching them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    Anyone see a reduction in bait fish. In my opinion I do. Not to say I'm not finding any bait fish, just no where near what I used to see.
    This goes along with what ART said above.... fish and baitfish are doing things different. I spent a lot time down there Oct-Nov and didn't see the shad pushed back in the creeks like normal. I think we are starting to see the lake evolve to the introduction of the Asian Carp. They seem to take up the "traditional" schooling shallows (backs of bays) in the fall.

Again, for me the numbers are down. Maybe I need to break even further out of the comfort zone because I for one am not finding schools of fish like I used to.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    Anyone want to buy some stuff?
    Nah, I think they've got your baits and techniques memorized and want nothing to do with it!

Now if you've got an old tacklebox from your Granddad, we might could work something out.

Definitely hard to argue with the statistics. Our fisheries biologist are scientists and they make their best recommendations based on the numbers that they collect. I will miss talking to Paul Rister. He has said for years that our fish are still here just not where we are use to them being. A lot of factors come into play. Namely cover or the lack of cover and water clarity to name two have made our fish stay out deeper than most want to think. I’m not a biologist but I agree you just cannot fish like you use to and consistently catch fish. Not on either lake

10. Banned
    The Biologists are also gov employees who wouldn't dare deface there money maker.

11. Member
    If your fishing for Asian Carp the fishing is better that's about it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Definitely hard to argue with the statistics. Our fisheries biologist are scientists and they make their best recommendations based on the numbers that they collect. I will miss talking to Paul Rister. He has said for years that our fish are still here just not where we are use to them being. A lot of factors come into play. Namely cover or the lack of cover and water clarity to name two have made our fish stay out deeper than most want to think. I’m not a biologist but I agree you just cannot fish like you use to and consistently catch fish. Not on either lake
    With that said, is the consensus that the fish are just staying generally deeper year around now? Pressure pushing them off the obvious ledges back to points? What's everyone's thoughts?
    I think we are starting to see more pelagic bass due to being pushed off traditional spots by the carp.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    That’s the big key, been fishing these lakes for 50 years and there is no way the amount of bait fish that we use to have. I can go right now or in the summer and not see any bait fish all day long. It’s also been a very long time in catching 50 to 70 bass a day on either lakes, 11 to 15 inch fish

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    With that said, is the consensus that the fish are just staying generally deeper year around now? Pressure pushing them off the obvious ledges back to points? What's everyone's thoughts?
    I think we are starting to see more pelagic bass due to being pushed off traditional spots by the carp.
    Quite possible,along with the fact that bass will suspend more in clear water.Ive seen this happen on a much smaller scale.A new lake opens,it's catch and release only.I have 40-50 fish days opening year,four years later lucky to catch a dozen.The fish are still there as you can see them chasing bait and suspending in 80 fow.

15. BBC SPONSOR

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    Quite possible,along with the fact that bass will suspend more in clear water.Ive seen this happen on a much smaller scale.A new lake opens,it's catch and release only.I have 40-50 fish days opening year,four years later lucky to catch a dozen.The fish are still there as you can see them chasing bait and suspending in 80 fow.
    If they are suspended they should stand out big time on these electronics, just not seeing it myself.

Nobody's going to convince me that tournaments aren't having almost as detrimental effect on our bass fishing as the carp are! When those guys drag up bass from deep water, have no idea how to care for them (how to fizz), run them from New Johnsonville to Kentucky Dam Village, or worse Katawa, and then drop them back in the water thinking they're "just fine" there's going to be a bunch of dead ones! This was apparent when the 2015 Triton Owners Tournament out of Paris killed literally thousands ... to the point they lowered the limit to 3 fish the following year. Asian Carp are having an effect NO DOUBT, and they aren't going anywhere! So maybe we need to take better care of the bass population we have. Am I suggesting we do away with tournaments? ..... I wouldn't mind.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    ...I would post this in the lounge

And probably some truth in it too. Pressure and lack of grass is making it tough
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

i used to catch a ton of really nice smallmouth and tournaments had lots of big smallies in their bags. the big smallmouth are few and far between now and even the pros are not catching like they used to so something is up.
    Ranger Forever

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast