Thread: My Story

BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

My Story

Just a little bit of how I got to where I am, and what motivated me to turn around. I’ve always been heavy. Since I was a little boy. My whole family is. “It’s in my genes” - not sure how much of that is true and how much of it is a cop out for bad habits.

Earlier this year, I was right around 415 lbs. my do told me the same shpiel I had heard before about my weight and blah blah blah and I needed to change... so I decided I was going to try and do better. Fast forward a few months, August 16th, I had another check up. I had been doing really good with my diet, or so I had been telling myself. Stepped on the scale. 419.4. I had GAINED weight. I sat in the exam room waiting for my doctor to come in, and it was like that number hit me right in the chest with a 2x4. I started thinking.

I thought about the possibility that I’d be dead before I got to see my 2.5 year old son graduating high school.

I thought about never getting to see my grandkids born.

I thought about how hard it would be on my wife as a single parent, raising a son and caring for a house by herself because I was too selfish to quit stuffing my face and get off my ass.

Hardest of all though, I thought about that little boy, who loves me so much and wants to do everything that I do, growing up to be just like me because “it’s in his genes”.

I cried. I bawled hysterically in my doctors exam room. Like total meltdown. That was my moment. Then I realized, I’m not dead yet, it’s not too late to fix this. So when my doctor came in, I told her I was ready for help. We looked at some medication she said could help if I was interested , she scheduled me a consult with a nutritionist for the next day, and wished me the best of luck.

I met with the nutritionist, and since then it’s been game on. I eat 15-1800 calories in an average day, but never feel hungry. I cut out soda and sweet tea. I walk a couple miles a day. I bought an elliptical. I exercise in some manner daily. I make conscious efforts to park further away and incorporate more movement into my day.

As most of you know, I’m now down 85 lbs in 6 months. It hasn’t been easy, but it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be either. By the end of this year I plan to have lost 200 lbs.

And then something awesome happened, which has been just as amazing for me as losing the weight. I started getting messages about how I had inspired someone else to make a change, or questions about something I was doing from someone needing help, and I’m really excited about the prospect of being able to help other people be successful at this journey. I’d be thrilled to answer any questions anyone has, and to help anyone come up with a plan to get healthier. Ask me anything. Food, exercise, struggles, anything. Need to vent? I’m here. Just need to talk? Bring it up here. Want to celebrate your latest milestone? I’ve got my party hat ready.

Hey Jim...great story. I'm on for the ride as well since my diabetes is out of control due only to my like of...well...everything!

Here's a kicker...I ordered a great stationary bike, get it all put together and I'm pumped up to start riding...and the damn thing is defective. DOH!

Oh well, cleaning almost a foot of snow off my drive way and my neighbors driveway tonight gave me a good workout.
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

3. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Ain’t that a peach? Hope they got you a replacement without any argument

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Dude, your story and mine are so much a like it isnt funny. Im 27 and have been knocking on 400s door. Im 6'4 and have been big my whole life as well. I have a daughter and my wife is pregnant and I hit a wall. I told my wife im getting healthy so i can be a dad to my kids and one day be a grandpa, and enjoy retirement and just living life. I went to the dr. about a month ago and got a clean bill of health on everything. No high blood pressure, no diabetes, even did routine heart test. Blood work, and EKG. Dr. told me im healthy now but may not be in 10 years. I decided it was my time. I did something last week I never thought I would do. I joined a gym, and have been hitting it hard. Walking at least 2 miles on the treadmill and riding the bike. Just this week alone I have dropped 5 pounds. My ultimate goal is 250. My first goal is to drop 50 pounds by the time my son is born in June. My biggest issue is not the gym, its my eating habits. Im also a night shifter which makes things even more difficult when it comes to eating healthy. I will not give up though.