Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I think some of you have wandered off the trail lol.
    My point was that a team could actually profit by intentionally giving a head shot to a player on the other team.
    So my remedy is.. if you intentionally cause a concussion you should go out of the game also. A Quid Pro Quo if you will.
    Simple concept.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    I think some of you have wandered off the trail lol.
    My point was that a team could actually profit by intentionally giving a head shot to a player on the other team.
    So my remedy is.. if you intentionally cause a concussion you should go out of the game also. A Quid Pro Quo if you will.
    Simple concept.

A team can do the same by targeting a player's knees etc and we have not needed a rule for that yet.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    With all the throwing of shoulders and leading of helmets that pass for 'tackling' in todays game, maybe a little refresher course in the fundamentals of the art is in order...

Very few hits in there that weren't textbook... See what you're hitting/wrap up/drive through...

Dude was a freak of nature.
    Who controls John Gill?

If the NFL was serious about player safety, they should take the helmet and shoulder pads off. No one would lead with head on either side. Would really force players to tackle properly. I highly doubt the billionaires that run the NFL want to turn their game into a rugby match, but that's what it would be. A lot less violent collisions in rugby. Ain't gonna happen, football has become a gladiator type event. And that's part of its appeal.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    The rules definitely need to be changed there's no penalty to the offensive player if he leads with his head, versus the defensive player trying to tackle the offensive player leading with his head there is no difference leading with your head regardless if your offensive player or defensive player can still cause an issue or concussion for either one of the other
    there is no penalty for offensive player leading with his head or Hemet to helmet because the defensive player can see it coming and prepares for impact rarely getting hurt , it's the offensive player looking for the ball that gets blindly hit in the head is the problem . .. the rule make sense .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    there is no penalty for offensive player leading with his head or Hemet to helmet because the defensive player can see it coming and prepares for impact rarely getting hurt , it's the offensive player looking for the ball that gets blindly hit in the head is the problem . .. the rule make sense .
    In some cases...quite a few running backs lower their head just as a defensive player approaches to make a tackle. Many offensive players see a defensive player coming and lower their heads.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

7. Member
    There is a penalty against targeting knees on Quarter Backs.
    Just an FYI.
    Plus you can't blind side block or.. Launch to deliver a blow. Launch is described as leaving both feet to deliver a blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    There is a penalty against targeting knees on Quarter Backs.
    Just an FYI.
    Plus you can't blind side block or.. Launch to deliver a blow. Launch is described as leaving both feet to deliver a blow.
    But that penalty does not make the the player that made te hit lose game time. For years the NFL has made it without such a rule. Don't see the need for one now as a fan.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie01801 View Post
    Huh, he has more coming his way? So the flag, his fine, suspension and missing his bonuses isn't enough penalty for a lapse in judgement for a guy who does not have a history of this type of play???? Church will get a fine, maybe (no suspension), and rightfully so. His hit was bad circumstance, but he should know better - the NFL has been penalizing this type of hit for years. If White wants to retaliate, go ahead, it will only result in a more severe suspension.
    White did not retaliate and neither did his teammates. They handled the situation like adults. And what I meant by that is karma may get him. At least the hit he received was during the play, not after it while he was laying face down on the turf

10. Member
    One idea/suggestion my father in law came up with the other day is to start penalizing the offending player in time played during that game. If it's bad enough to warrant a flag, then they get a 10 or 15 minute penalty that they have to come out of the game for. Right now it's kind of lopsided. Yea, the offending team takes a 15 yard penalty, but that's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. They could take a 15 yard penalty for going high on a guy and taking out someone super important to the other team. It's kind of lopsided on who loses out in these situations.

I like this idea but I don't know how you can really enforce it without pissing off one team or the other. There are going to be subjective calls that will be close that people will be angry about if the offending player is or isn't flagged and given the X amount of time penalty for the head shot.

I'm not saying it's the best idea, or even that it's a good idea, but I like the idea of doing something like that. I believe that's the only way you're truly going to get these guys to really change the way they tackle in the NFL. Fines and potential suspensions AFTER the game the were penalized in are clearly not enough, so some other more severe and immediately impactful penalty is needed in my opinion.

11. robdy72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A team can do the same by targeting a player's knees etc and we have not needed a rule for that yet.
    I agree unless the guy has been head hunting all game.

12. Member
    Years ago there wasn't a concussion rule. Guys got hit and just came back in the game.
    There's hardly a game that doesn't have a player or two go out due to the concussion rule.
    That's what's changed recently and it's not really being fairly addressed IMO.

13. Member
    Wait I got an idea, How about after a hit that looks bad -- Everyone gathers at he 50 yard line to discuss how everyone feels about it. If enough of the players feel sad inside then the Player that delivered the hit not only has to sit out the rest of the game, but has to also hold the hurt Player's hand while he is in treatment.

Good God there is enough stupid rules in the game now, sure as hell don't need any more. Players lower their head and head collide. It happens.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    With all the throwing of shoulders and leading of helmets that pass for 'tackling' in todays game, maybe a little refresher course in the fundamentals of the art is in order...

Very few hits in there that weren't textbook... See what you're hitting/wrap up/drive through...

Dude was a freak of nature.
    Did you actually watch the video you put up? Between half and a third were shoulder hits with no wrap up like you were complaining about. Then the very last one was straight helmet to helmet launching off his feet

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by music man View Post
    Maybe the player who made the hit should sit out as long as the player that took the hit. If the player that took the hit returns, the other player can return as well
    That's great until your future hall of fame linebacker hits their third string running back who's about to get cut. They can run him through concussion protocol and have him sit the rest of the game "just to be safe".

16. Banned
    Maybe a bounty or contract on a certain player??? Forgot, that has already been done

As far as both going out for a concussion protocol, you're assuming that the affect of an impact it always the same. But it's not. If it was, they'd have sensors in helmets and when it detected a concussion causing hit, the player would come out. However,, it is possible that one play can sustain a concussion while the other does not. It's even possible that if you could rewind the play and run it again that even Gronk would not get a concussion every time.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12