Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dale Hollow mid March

Planning a trip mid March. I know each year is different but what would I expect this time of year. Are the smallies getting ready to spawn or already on? We don’t normally go down until late April.

2. Member
    Dale Hollow will be busy in March. 3 BFLs on 3 of the Saturday's. Music City division has one and Mountain has Two.
    Last edited by TrokarJigN; 01-23-2018 at 02:17 AM.

3. Member
    Where do they launch from? We will be there during the week but I figure there will be a lot of prefishing then?

4. Member
    Can be a glorious time if we get some warm up- if it can get in the 50s, esp mid 50- should be good large and smallmouth bite- cranks, jigs, tubes/grubs, jerkbaits etc...

5. Member
    Don’t worry about tourney guys- most will be in backs creeks and pockets largemouth fishing

They launch from star point. But like mentioned. If you are fishing for smallmouth esp on the lower end you won't have to worry about them.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Can be a glorious time if we get some warm up- if it can get in the 50s, esp mid 50- should be good large and smallmouth bite- cranks, jigs, tubes/grubs, jerkbaits etc...
    This would be great. At what water temp do the smallmouth spawn? It is cooler than largemouth correct?

8. Member
    Yes SM will spawn before LM for the most part. One thing you can count on. When dogwoods bloom and moon is full. Smallies will be on bed. SM spawn a lot by the moon phase.

Fish a single swimbait out on main lake flats. Kemper flats is a great area to start. Set your boat in about 30ft and make long cast let it hit bottom and slow roll it. They’ll take your arm off. You can also use a Jerkbait like this or a Alabama rig but they’ll both wear you out.

10. Member
    Have you fished DH recently? I'm gonna go this weekend for a bit see what happens. Has been so f-ing cold lately.

I fished last Saturday they were biting good.

12. Member
    Ready to come down again

13. Member
    Any info on the bite as of now? Thinking about making the 3hr drive down

14. Member
    Fished Friday the 26th, water was 44-46. Bite was definitely sower than it has been in last month. We had 8-10 fish and lost 3. 1 was just over 20" another over 19". The rest were mostly unders. The fish definitely seemed to be suspended.

We use to always go the middle of march every year. The last couple of years we've waited till turkey season opens so the guys with us can hunt and it hasn't been near as good. This year we will be there from march 28th till April 4th. I never knew so many people traveled from all over to go to Dale, it's crazy. I don't know how they'res anything in it.

16. Member
    Slot limit takes care of the smallmouth- that and they live most their lives suspended in the channel— largemouth not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    We use to always go the middle of march every year. The last couple of years we've waited till turkey season opens so the guys with us can hunt and it hasn't been near as good. This year we will be there from march 28th till April 4th. I never knew so many people traveled from all over to go to Dale, it's crazy. I don't know how they'res anything in it.
    Hey Silk,

We will be right behind you - April 4th - April 8th.. Running a new Ranger this year - hoping to put some hours on her at Dale!

Scott
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

18. Member
    I will be at Dale Hollow the last week of March.
    Ohio Bass Fishing with Edgar VanHoose
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgarVanHoose

19. Member
    Where will you guys be staying?

20. Member
    Stay at Eagles Cove Resort. They have 2 bedroom cabins for $60 a night in the off-season. That is till April 1st, then they go up to $80 a night.
    Ohio Bass Fishing with Edgar VanHoose
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgarVanHoose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast