Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    I plugged tester into stove outlet and it said it's wired properly.
    Problem not with outlet for stove but stove itself imo.

1st stove have the same issue? Power to the meter overhead or underground?

3. Member
    There's hot, return and safety ground. Black, white and green. Since two stoves do the same thing it SOUNDS to me like the return in the wall may be weak. Just a S.W.A.G. on my part.

I ran into the same thing in HVAC work on furnaces but I was reading 120 volts from neutral to ground. It was false (phantom) volts meaning when I would touch neutral to the cabinet it would go away. I would correct it by driving a copper rod into dirt ground and ground the furnace to the rod. I know this is a stove but if you take a wire (or screw driver anything metal) and touch the pipe to a good ground does it go away? My guess, and only a guess without looking at it you have lost your ground, you have lost your neutral, or somewhere as stated before in that residence your gas pipe is used as a ground, or another appliance is sending the volt signal through the line. Take your gas pipe run a wire from the gas line ( just wrapping it around the pipe bare copper) to either a water line or ground and see if it disappears. Also check between neutral and ground on plug of stove and wall receptacle your meter should show 000 on the Ohms scale and no voltage should be present on voltage scale.

Ha a very similar issue with our pool several years ago. We noticed we were getting a little tickle when getting out of our pool onto the concrete and as the concrete got wetter, the tickle increased. I knew it was wired correctly. Called the power company because that condition points toward a problem with the neutral to the house. What happens when the neutral is weak is the the hot seeks neutral through the ground which may not be adequate but is the only direction the hot has to go. In my case, a squirrel had almost chewed our neutral apart with very little of the conductor left to carry current. Long story short, you might ought to call you power provider. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    I was getting 1.5 volts yesterday. Today can't seem to get more than .5 what really concerns me is if I jump the gas line and nearby copper heat line I get a tiny tickle of arc. It's hard to see but it's there.
    How are you measuring the voltage at the gas line? The reason I ask is because if the 24v transformer is not grounded on the secondary you will get some strange readings if you are measuring to ground. Have you tried plugging something else into the same outlet to see if you get the same problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12