Thread: New Frog

New Frog

Anybody seen or used the new LIVETARGET Hollow Body Popper Frog? Scott Martin designed it. A lot about this bait intrigues me.
    And another question. There's all kinds of colors for frogs. I'm wondering if the most important thing isn't just the color of the belly? White or Dark?
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

2. Member
    There's a ton of debate about when to use a white belly or dark belly. In all honesty, I've found that it doesn't necessarily matter that much unless you have super clear water. I believe the size of the bait and sound is more important. In dirty water I like a black belly or chartreuse/yellow belly and in clear water I like a white belly. Some people might completely disagree with me but that is just what I've found to work best. If the water is stained or dirty, you can use either white or dark and be fine. The fish just have to be able to track it down.

I personally throw a black frog first in just about any situation before trying anything else. I've heard people say dark on a cloudy day or in stained water and light on a sunny day or in clearer water, but time and time again I've had the most success on black. I suspect that might be a regional thing, or even just a confidence thing for me. Same story on buzzbaits, though it's sometimes hard to throw those around here for all the damn pike, and that's assuming you can keep it out of the grass.

I've seen the new frog you're talking about, but haven't tried it so really can't give an opinion one way or the other. I likely won't...I've had bad luck with other Live Target frogs and don't really want to spend the money to try a new one from them when I'm happy with what I've been using. I will be trying the new Lunkerhunt prop frogs this year, but that's about it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I base the color of my frog by what is easier for me to see. And 99.9% of the time that means white. When I get a bite I immediately look for my bait. If I can't see it, I set the hook.

Plus if I'm fishing a frog in fairly open water where the belly color of the frog may actually make a difference, and I don't know that it does, then I am fishing it in shallow water. 3' or less. I just don't think a lot of fish are coming up under the bait and eyeing it before taking it. Most of the time I fish a frog I am fishing it over matted weeds. The fish can't see the color of the belly.

Like I said, I want to be able to see my frog, so I fish white.