Question 2004 275 Pro XL 115Hp Johnson - Any info, input, advice......

Hey guys, I am trying to help my dad out who just retired. He is looking for a smaller 17-18 foot range boat. He has been looking at several of the mid 2000's trackers (PT175) and other boats of similar style. I have been trying to get him to look at more glass boats and the 04 275 is one we just found.

I really dont want him to get into a boat that is prone to falling apart, or having major issues.
    I do know most boats can have those issues if neglected.

Need any input from guys that have fished out of them, owned them etc.

Are they decently stable (better then aluminum??)
    Any areas of concern

What pros and cons. IE rough ride, no storage ...etc. just what is your opinion of them?

I am well versed in the mechanical side of boat so no issue going through it on that side.

Appreciate any info, opinion's etc you guys have

Thanks
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO
    25 T1 and 26 Tempest Plus
    Helix Mega G3N, Mega 360, Ultrex 112

2. Member
    I had a 2006 275 Pro XL and loved it. It was extremely stable, wide and spacious for a 17.5' boat. Stability will be MUCH better than aluminum, and will have more storage space than an aluminum too.

The older 275's lack the recessed trolling motor well, but you can install a Troll Well and be good to go.

In what your're asking about fiberglass will ride and fish more stable than aluminum 99% of the time...There should be a good selection of used 18 ft 150 HP out there. Typically the selection of 17 Ft 115 HP boats is smaller but they are out there if you look. As with anything used just take your time and make sure all is well before you buy. If I was buying something for retirement I would buy EXACTLY what I want and if it's not rigged they way I wan't it then I would add the options I want. Things like motors, trolling motor and electronics can easily be replaced. I would find a hull that is structurally sound and intend on it being my last boat purchase

I have a 2007 Stratos 275 Pro XL Magnum. It has been a fantastic boat. Anyone will tell you, it fishes much bigger. The layout and storage is fantastic and with my Mercury Optimax 115, I hit close to 50mph with 2 people and full tourney load. The quality of this boat is very high- no issues other than the trailer (which is an issue on ALL Stratos boats). Tubular trailers do not hold up as well, and rust gets on them after a handful of years. This boat is incredibly wide. It will blow any aluminum out of the water. Like I said, when you are on it, it feels like you are on a far bigger boat. As far as the ride goes, smooth as can be. Handles rough water very well with no issues. Only thing I will say is, they come with cable steering. It is a little tougher to turn than wheel as opposed to a boat with hydraulic. Also, I run three batteries and a PowerPole off the back, and it still gets up on plane with no issue.

That being said, mine is for sale :) . I live in MD. Let me know if you want anymore info or pictures or pricing.

JP