Thread: Ar-15

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colt or nothing .

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Colt or nothing .
    LOL can you explain why?
    Ive asked people to explain why a brand is better on here and other sites. Guess what? No one can ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    LOL can you explain why?
    Ive asked people to explain why a brand is better on here and other sites. Guess what? No one can ever do it.
    I can help with this myth/theory. What people call milspec actually comes from the Technical Data Package Which is owned by???? you guessed it, Colt. It is also theorized that every body else that makes ARs has had to reverse engineer them. This gives people a false sense of Quality or lack of, depending on what brand you are talking about. If you consider the TDP a basic set of specs to go by, you will find that there are other companies the exceed the TDP by far, i.e. LMT, Knights Armament, BCM to name a few. On the other hand some companies fail to reach the TDP specs. If you do buy a Colt, you definitely didn't do any wrong. If you search and find something claiming to be the TDP, proceed with full skepticism. I don't think Colt would ever publish their nest egg.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I can help with this myth/theory. What people call milspec actually comes from the Technical Data Package Which is owned by???? you guessed it, Colt. It is also theorized that every body else that makes ARs has had to reverse engineer them. This gives people a false sense of Quality or lack of, depending on what brand you are talking about. If you consider the TDP a basic set of specs to go by, you will find that there are other companies the exceed the TDP by far, i.e. LMT, Knights Armament, BCM to name a few. On the other hand some companies fail to reach the TDP specs. If you do buy a Colt, you definitely didn't do any wrong. If you search and find something claiming to be the TDP, proceed with full skepticism. I don't think Colt would ever publish their nest egg.
    Yes, Colts are the "standard" Where LWRC POF DD go beyond milspec or improve on them. Have you seen a POF bolt carrier? Its a thing of beauty! I know the old school guys love Colt. Their 1911's have become crap. But some will buy them no matter because of the name they use to have.
    If I wanted a higher end AR it would be a POF, oh wait I own a couple lol. Their piston guns are a piece of art. My LWRC are great runners also but tearing them down I dont find much different.

I just love my 40 year old colt and all the other colts I have .

HA! Colts are over priced, hyped and a nightmare to have anything done with customer service much like H&K. They held our ERT teams M-4s for OVER A YEAR for repair. Sheriff had to threaten litigation to get em back and they still weren't right. Switched to another brand and been smooth sailing since. One of the new ones had an issue from a hot load, was sent back to manufacturer, repaired and back in the officers hands in 7 working days. See if you can do that with a Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Colt or nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    HA! Colts are over priced, hyped and a nightmare to have anything done with customer service much like H&K. They held our ERT teams M-4s for OVER A YEAR for repair. Sheriff had to threaten litigation to get em back and they still weren't right. Switched to another brand and been smooth sailing since. One of the new ones had an issue from a hot load, was sent back to manufacturer, repaired and back in the officers hands in 7 working days. See if you can do that with a Colt.
    Dont care if they are overpriced , I dont have any team to arm , all my Colts are worth more than I paid for them . Hey I love some H&K , Sig , Bereta , just bought a Kimber K6s . I'm not up to date on the AR'S just remember the cheap ones that were first to copy Colt .

8. Member
    I have more AR’s than I will admit. Look at LWRC’s piston system or Daniel Defense, Larue, or Noveske. I would lean heavily towards Daniel Defense if your going to go with a gas system.

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    I have more AR’s than I will admit. Look at LWRC’s piston system or Daniel Defense, Larue, or Noveske. I would lean heavily towards Daniel Defense if your going to go with a gas system.
    Since he asked about a Del Ton, I’m thinking he is looking at a low price entry level gun!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Since he asked about a Del Ton, I’m thinking he is looking at a low price entry level gun!
    Oops! Sorry, I guess I missed that. I’m not one to budget shop for a tool that I may have to trust my life and the safety of my family with.

My father has a DelTon and it’s just fine. Completely trustworthy.

12. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    It's a decent mid level AR platform with a good warranty.
    Del ton is a entry level gun for sure. That said, for the price they are a solid rifle.

13. Member
    ive got one no complaints

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    Kind of what I've heard as well. Check out Barnes Precision Machine out of Apex, NC. I LOVE that rifle. Purchased the Patrolmans Carbine and it's a beast. He pretty much machines all of the parts. Not cheap, but well worth it and I've shot the heck out of mine. Alot of the other guys were having theirs lock up but the Barnes was a beast.
    This! I personally know Andrew Barnes he is a genius when it comes to the AR battle rifle. He manufactures 95% of the parts for his guns in house and provides numerous OEM parts for a lot of AR manufacturers and builders. Prices are a little more than what you are looking at but as they say "you get what you pay for". He backs his stuff up 100% www.usamade-ar15parts.com
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

15. Derek McCullough
    There are a lot better rifles for the money than Colt, just saying.

16. Member
    Very interesting discussion from a non-firearm/shooting forum. Get the Delton or a cheap PSA if you're just shooting tin cans or water filled gallon jugs. AR's have never been as inexpensive as they are now.

I do hold a bit higher opinion of some Colt models than has been given to Colt. I will admit that today's Colt is not the same as yo daddy's Colt.

No not looking for entry level per say. Just at that price its hard to beat if it's quality.

I read some reviews on line and they seemed to really like the gun.

18. Banned
    i started out looking at smith sportman series and somehow ended up with daniel defense. bravo company makes top end stuff as well

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    another option is Palmetto Sate
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...15-rifles.html

Or Midwayusa
    https://www.midwayusa.com/ar-15/br?cid=11619

Buy a upper and lower parts kit with a Stripped lower, and build one your self.

Gives you knowledge on how the gun operates and inner workings so if so know how to work on the gun or upgrade it.
    My 15 year old son built one with the help of you tube!!

another option is Palmetto Sate
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...15-rifles.html

Or Midwayusa
    https://www.midwayusa.com/ar-15/br?cid=11619

Buy a upper and lower parts kit with a Stripped lower, and build one your self.

Gives you knowledge on how the gun operates and inner workings so if so know how to work on the gun or upgrade it.
    My 15 year old son built one with the help of you tube!!

Not a bad idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12